Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played a game where the initial random hit rolls were brutally one sided? I just set up a game and the average of all the d6's rolled for Germany was 4.3, and two TFs rolled 11 initial hits, while 2 others rolled 5 on a single die. The random rolls were harsh on the allies as well (5-5-2-3), but so many German units are eliminated at start with this setup that I'm wondering if it's worth starting the game or if it would be better to call a mulligan (solo game, so no feathers to be ruffled. It might be worth noting that there aren't enough hit markers to allow complete freedom of distributing these hits. I ran out of -1/-2 and had to use -7 as stand ins.

Re: the optional parachute units in rule 13.1, it says roll two dice and apply any hits to the unit, is that two die per unit?

On a side note, have any history buffs come up with what they think a historically accurate starting hit total might be?

EDIT: Am I doing this wrong? Should only rolls of 5 and 6 incur initial hits (1 or 2)? I bet that is true, but I'll leave this here to make sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason for the initial "hits" on units of both sides was to emphasize how damaged the divisions involved were before the campaign started. The German 59, 85 and 245 divisions had all been heavily mauled during the retreat from France, so have 2d6 hits at the beginning; the others were not so badly damaged and so have generally fewer hits (1d6) against them at start. Meanwhile the Canadian divisions had been in nearly continuous combat since D-Day and were also quite worn down.

Just how worn down, and which divisional subunits were worn down, I left variable and up to the player's discretion. You can start with one or two relatively strong regiments in a German division, or three weakened ones and use G-1 chits to build them up later, if you think you'll be left alone long enough to do it.

And it's random for both sides, as you noted the Allied units were hard hit too.

In the end, it's your game; take a mulligan if you want, or simply assume a mathematical average - assume 7 hits for those 3 German divisions and distribute them how you like, and 3.5 for the other Germans and the 2 and 3 Canadian and 49 British (roll a die; and on a 4-6 the division has 4 hits on it, not 3).
Lightning will not strike you.
I promise.

Brian

PS: you were doing it right, 1d6 of Hits to allocate means roll 1d6 and allocate that number of hits (1-6) among the subunits, not 5s or 6s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the reason n for the hits, I just wonder if that many hits on that many TF's make the Germans non-competitive. Allied TF's and units can much more effectively absorb hits.

Re: rule 13.1, you say it's possible but unlikely that a brigade will be eliminated with the random hit initial roll. That makes me think the two dice you have us roll are for both units, not two per unit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you roll an 11, that's bad for anyone. But it's not going to happen all the time.

I wonder if you are applying the rule correctly.
Nowhere does it say that you roll dice against each Tactical Unit in a Task Force at setup.
Perhaps I should have written an example for this, to make it clearer.
Anyway, here is one:

German 59 XX sets up with four Tactical Units in the Task Force: three infantry regiments rated 3-4-3, and an artillery regiment rated 2-1-3.
You roll 2d6 and get a total of "8", so that is 8 Hits you have to distribute among those four units.
You can put 3, 3, and 2 Hits on the three infantry regiments and leave the artillery alone.
You can remove one infantry regiment completely (that's 4 Hits), and have two infantry regiments with 2 Hits each and leave the artillery alone.
You can remove two infantry regiments completely and have one infantry regiment at full strength plus the artillery.
And so on, and so on.

Okay, specifically to 13.1.3, about the two Allied parachute brigades. You roll to see if they get any Hits when landing, and yes, you roll two dice against each unit. Because they are 4-4-2 units, it is possible that a brigade would be eliminated (4 Hits) if it threw a double "6". Possible but unlikely.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the rolls against the parachute units are done the same way hits in combat are, not the sum of 2d6?

And I did understand that initial hits are applied to the entire TF, not specific units. That would have been VERY bad for the Germans.

BTW I'm not critical of the system for assigning hits, I just wanted to be sure I'm doing it right and that I won't get five turns in and think I should re-set because the Germans are just getting totally rolled over. But I will just proceed as detailed and we what happens. It's only a solo game, I may be spending more mental effort here than is warranted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, exactly - same way as in combat.
2d6 per unit, hits on 5 or 6.
(otherwise, 2d6 hits against a unit with a rating of 4 would result in its elimination 83% of the time - I think the Allies were a bit better at airborne operations than that).

Accept that this game might be a blowout against an exceptionally weakened German.
Maybe next time the breaks will go against the Allies, and it will be a real race against time.
Or, as I suggested in my original reply, just take the average - assess 7 Hits at start against the "2d6" divisions and 3 or 4 Hits against the "1d6" ones.
I assure you, lightning will not strike you!
(at least, not for that reason)

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that if you can guarantee that I WON'T be struck by lightning, then you must be the one who decides who DOES get struck. Remind me not to cross you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
It seems to me that if you can guarantee that I WON'T be struck by lightning, then you must be the one who decides who DOES get struck. Remind me not to cross you...

I think Brian only has jurisdiction over summer lightning. You'll be safe during the other three seasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Winter is coming.
Fear my thunder.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
Winter is coming.
Fear my thunder.

Brian

Re-watching GoT as we "speak"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.