Hide
19 Posts

Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » General

Subject: Unique vs. Normal Buildings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Dale
msg tools
I don't know if we are going to unlock more custom Buildings (personally, I'd much rather see the other stretch-goals completed first), but given the ones we have, it seems like an interesting if strange set-up.

So far, we have:

Normal Shrines in 5 colours (Sky; Storm; Earth; Darkness; Sea)
Normal Temples in 5 colours (Sky; Storm; Earth; Darkness; Sea)
Normal Ziggurats in 3 colours (Sky; Storm; Earth)

Custom Ziggurats in 3 colours (Darkness; Sea; Moon)
Custom Moon Shrines and Temples
Custom Invisible God Temples (Castles and Towers)
Castle of Lead (Darkness)
Chaos Nests (Chaos)

Under this set-up, the normal Ziggurats seem underrepresented.

Also, aesthetically speaking, I'm thinking that Sea should get its own Shrine (for example, with a seashell rather than a skull) since most of its buildings would probably either be sticking out of the water or barnicled and sea-affected. Moon would still get a custom Shrine and Temple, and get a normal Ziggurat to give the normal Ziggurat figure a little more representation. This is equal to the current number of unlocked buildings (5).

The balance would then be:

Normal Shrines in 4 colours (Sky; Storm; Earth; Darkness)
Normal Temples in 5 colours (Sky; Storm; Earth; Darkness; Sea)
Normal Ziggurats in 4 colours (Sky; Storm; Earth; Moon)

Custom Shrines in 2 colours (Sea; Moon)
Custom Temples in 2 colours, 3 types (Moon; Invisible God (Castles and Towers)
Custom Ziggurats in 2 colours (Darkness and Sea)
Castle of Lead (Darkness)
Chaos Nests (Chaos)

This makes the balance between the custom to normal buildings a little better.

Any thoughts about the custom buildings, regardless of whether you agree with my idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
I think if it's looking like we won't get all the buildings, everyone should pledge $10000 until we do get them.

It's been mentioned that some people would rather use the funds put towards the custom buildings to other goals, but it's generally a bad idea (there'll be at least some people who want what's promised, even if it's a bit lopsided).

I like the Sea Ziggurat idea though! Nice theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Dale
msg tools
Of course, if all the Ziggurats get unique sculpts, then the problem of a minority of lack-luster "normal" Ziggurats goes away. Alternatively, we could give every faction a unique Shrine instead (I rather like this idea, and maybe they'd be cheaper to produce).

The trick is that if there is going to be a "standard" building of a particular type, then it helps to have at least 4 factions with the standard version of the building (i.e. at least half of the factions available in the core game and Empires). Otherwise it makes the factions that have the standard version rather than a unique version of the building seem deficient by comparison.

C3Gaming wrote:

I like the Sea Ziggurat idea though! Nice theme.

Thank you! Personally, I'm more excited by the idea of a custom Sea Shrine rather than a Sea Ziggurat even though I'm excited by the possibilities of both. I'd also be open to the idea of giving the Sea faction a unique Temple too, should funds permit.

Do you think the idea of custom Shrines, as opposed to Ziggurats, would save Petersen Games some money? Creatively speaking, I bet they might also be more interesting than the Ziggurats since each Shrine could have an idol related to that faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually wondering something along these lines myself.

There doesnt seem to be enough buildings to replace the tiles. So does that mean you pop a building tile down with your faction's tile underneath to show who it belongs to?

Sucks if that's the case as the intention was to replace the cardboard in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Hum... No you get exactly enough buildings to replace the tiles. I don't know where you got that idea from. Perhaps the image is still not updated to include the Moon faction buildings, but they will be in there, colored and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the image then.
That pyts my mind at ease thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just posted this question in the backer comments section. I really do hope the pic just hasn't been updated. Will post reply here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Dale
msg tools
Yeah, I can back Guillaume Andriot on this.

There will be at least enough Buildings to replace the tiles.

My complaint was merely aesthetic, since having only three of the eight factions with the "normal" Ziggurat is going to look weird since most of the factions have unique Buildings now.

I guess we'll see what Petersen Games ends up doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
But my understanding is that all of the ziggurats will look the same. The only unique thing in the model is some kind of faction specific rune on the ball thing over the entrance.

So "unique" ziggurats have different rune while the "regular" ziggurats have no rune.

At least that impression I got from the description of the unique buildings.

So all of the ziggurats will look the same on the map (each is in faction color of course) and you have to look really close to spot the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Confirmed by Sands Petersen. The picture was not updated when Moon was added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a temple is big enough to surround a shrine and a ziggurat is big enough to lift up a temple how big are ziggurats? I'd love to hear some statement about their size. They might be truly massive.

'I think we're gonna need a bigger board.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I Don't think they will be in scale with each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Dale
msg tools
Okay, as per the most recent update it now looks like the Buildings are no longer going to have custom runes or "mons" in front of them.

Still, it would be nice if Petersen Games on its own later decided to do something special for the Darkness and/or Sea factions: Darkness because it would add game-play value to have a visual clue in their Ziggurat that they build up to the Castle of Lead, and Sea for aesthetic reasons since they are aquatic. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
The castle of Lead is a unique additional building for Darkness. It does not replace their Ziggurat and both minis are included in the Empire expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Dale
msg tools
Decarcassor wrote:
The castle of Lead is a unique additional building for Darkness. It does not replace their Ziggurat and both minis are included in the Empire expansion.

No offense intended whatsoever, but I believe you are mistaken.

Tiles for both Darkness's Ziggurat and the Castle of Lead are part of the core game, not the Empires expansion, but figures representing them are only included in the Buildings box.

Also, I understand that the Castle of Lead is already a unique Building for Darkness and that it is separate from the Ziggurat. I just thought it would be nice if something about Darkness's Ziggurat were made unique to remind players that it can "evolve" yet one more time into the Castle of Lead; for example, maybe aspects of Darkness's Ziggurat could be similar to those of the Castle of Lead.

Again, I am primarily interested in game-play stretch goals being reached before anything else. But if Petersen Games were to make a few tweaks such as this to the Darkness Ziggurat at their own expense, or make changes to Sea's Buildings similar to those I mentioned earlier because it would be cool, I would not complain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ziggurat doesn't necessarily evolve into the Castle of Lead, since the Castle can replace *any* of Darkness's buildings. Typically, a Shrine is picked.

Also, the Castle is supposed to be wrought in the image of the Hellmother, hence the monster-skull motif in the concept art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Yeah, I meant the Building Expansion. And like Adam said, the CoL is not an evolution of the Ziggurat.

As cool as unique molds for each factions would be it would be ridiculously expensive. Also why would Sea have the special ones ? Undersea building are nothing special when you think about it in the context of Glorantha. There are buildings in hell and even in the sky too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Dale
msg tools
AdamStarks wrote:
The Ziggurat doesn't necessarily evolve into the Castle of Lead, since the Castle can replace *any* of Darkness's buildings. Typically, a Shrine is picked.

If so, I was under a mistaken impression. Thanks for the clarification, Adam.

AdamStarks wrote:
Also, the Castle is supposed to be wrought in the image of the Hellmother, hence the monster-skull motif in the concept art.

I don't think we're in argument here. laugh

Decarcassor wrote:
As cool as unique molds for each factions would be it would be ridiculously expensive. Also why would Sea have the special ones ? Undersea building are nothing special when you think about it in the context of Glorantha. There are buildings in hell and even in the sky too.

At this point I've pretty much given up on the idea of custom Buildings for each faction unless Petersen Games says otherwise.

But as for why give Sea unique Buildings, it's more like "why not?"
The possibilities with Sea seem the most interesting to me from an artistic perspective (even though my favorite faction is Sky).

The idea is that, being underwater or in or by bodies of water, the Buildings would probably be uniquely affected by the sea in a way that the other factions' Buildings are not. For example, Sea's Buildings could be barnicled, and the offering could be a sea-shell on coral or some similar item since land animals like cattle typically don't exist underwater, even in Glorantha (unless I am mistaken). Due to this, it would make more sense to me if the offering at the Shrine, Temple, and Ziggurat were sea-related.

We've almost reached all the game-play related stretch-goals, so at this point I think we are entitled to some creative, artistic suggestions to Petersen Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
The buildings are matched roughly in size, with the exception of the Chaos Nests.

Cost 1 buildings, Shrines & Chaos Nests are small. (Imbedded nests are also, sadly small, but they do look a little bigger when flipped over)

The Cost 2 buildings, Temples, Castles, and Towers are mid-sized.

The Cost 3 buildings, Ziggurats and Castle of Lead are big.

We do not currently have plans to construct unique buildings for all the factions, even Sea.

But after all, let's consider Sea - Sea's buildings are emphatically not all in Water Areas. For that matter, the other players often construct buldings in the Water. So I'm not sure why Sea's buildings need to particularly look like they are under the sea, more than anyone else. I literally see every other type of building in the oceans, up to and including the Castle of Lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.