Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » General

Subject: Solitaire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Is there much scope for playing solo?

I've seen someone play the coop variant of DoW vanilla solo, but i never tried it myself since it seemed a bit anaemic without the objectives and traitor element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing solo co-op without the betrayer is fine as a game. Adding a Betrayer solo means that you need to play 'in character', but you can always roll die to resolve exile votes if you feel a character's actions merit one.

If playing solo without being in charcater you only end up cheating yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played DoW once coop. PLaying coop mode solo would be doable, but honestly, I don't know why anyone would bother.

DoW/TLN is very much about the players at the table and the balance of selfish vs selfless, lying vs honestly, manipulating the other players, etc. Taking that out of the game is fine and works OK, but you are missing a good chunk of what DoW such an incredible game IMHO. You lose a lot of the tension and gamesmanship.

So if DoW is a game you are looking at buying but MAY also want to play it solo, sure, you can do it but it's not as great as the actual "real" game. If you are looking at DoW more as a pure cooperative game that you would like to play solo on a fairly regular basis...meh. I may be tempted to say you should look at other pure coops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mools wrote:
I've only played DoW once coop. PLaying coop mode solo would be doable, but honestly, I don't know why anyone would bother.

DoW/TLN is very much about the players at the table and the balance of selfish vs selfless, lying vs honestly, manipulating the other players, etc. Taking that out of the game is fine and works OK, but you are missing a good chunk of what DoW such an incredible game IMHO. You lose a lot of the tension and gamesmanship.

So if DoW is a game you are looking at buying but MAY also want to play it solo, sure, you can do it but it's not as great as the actual "real" game. If you are looking at DoW more as a pure cooperative game that you would like to play solo on a fairly regular basis...meh. I may be tempted to say you should look at other pure coops.

Some people may only be able to play solo. But they still want to check out the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
The original was too easy solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I intend to buy this soon, so i have not played it yet. But... I will be playing it solo.

Martin S gave me an idea.
If you have the "Mythic GM Emulator" or can get hold of its "fate chart" you could have quite the interesting experience, particularly if playing IC.

You play most actions the way you would normally in a solo game.

Use Chaos Rating as a sort of personal morale for the NPC (second player) which changes based on actions that happen to them, and the general colony morale.
The lower the rating, the less agreeable the NPC becomes.

Odds are used in the normal way.

When dealing with crisis card, you make a roll based on the NPC's current morale, if you get a no answer, you shuffle their hand and take one at random to place in the crisis items area (dont remember its name) If you get a yes answer place the correct item/s directly into the area.

The PC(you) is always in charge. So if you want a NPC to do something menial, such as spend a die to clear the trash pile, you make a roll, and with a no answer, you can choose to make it an order (lower the morale of the NPC) or accept their decision not to spend the die (increase their morale)

You could run more NPC's the same way, too.
And i am sure there are other things i have not thought of due to my inexperience with the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.