Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one example. It sells for about $320 including shipping, which is about 25% of the price most 40W lasers sell for. Maybe the small cutting area, just 8"x12", is why.

Has anyone here procured this laser? I am unsure how to deal with the water cooling system. A pump is provided, but I guess I would need to get my own tank. Maybe I could set the tank in front of my window AC unit. There is also a smoke vent and a short tube. I guess I should stick that out the window and never mind the neighbors.

It is advertised to cut 3mm acrylic, and Acrylite sells 12"x12" sheets. That's the smallest size sheet I find available. So I wonder if I could fit an oversized sheet into that laser, and cut an 8"x12" region of it. The photo suggests there may be room if not for this... thing in the way.

Also I wonder if the software will work under Linux using Wine.

Thanks for any clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy plastic from estreetplastics.com and they sell 6" x 12" plastic. So at least that is a problem solved, but yes you can also cut the plastic down if you've got a table saw or something.

One problem I've heard with a lot of these cheap lasers is they are just that, cheap. As in, power supplies burning out, laser dying, parts being bent or damaged during shipping. I'm not wanting to crap on this, but just realize why it's so cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Years back we had a largish injection molder that needed cooling water. We artfully hooked the hoses up to the above ground pool we had access to in the back yard, with a filter trap over the intakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason King
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, fresh Acrylic is very easy to score and snap. Buy a full sheet and cut it down to the size you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.