Hide
7 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » Variants

Subject: Removing cards from the deck for a "custom game" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
a b
msg tools
After playing a great many games and having a great deal of fun, I think that I want to remove a few cards from the game. This is to both make the playing deck smaller and to "tune" the balance of the game a bit.

In my experience: i find that early game scrapping purchases are very powerful. I was hoping to remove some of this advantage along with some other general tweaks to the game.

For example: removing much of red's trade results (i think) in scrapping still being powerful, but it no longer allows you to scrap your trash while ALSO buying high value cards from other colors(which often have the "draw a card" ability). This keeps the "play 12 cards a turn" to a minimum.

Note that I'm not actually sure that this is true however. It COULD be true, and could be an interesting way to change the game in general by removing certain cards from the default game.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what card(s) would be good to remove from the game and how removing them would affect the overall balance/play of the game? Ideally I would like to remove half of the cards from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You kind of remove cards in each game by not drawing them. I think part of star realms is working with what you get, recognizing what strategies can be built from the row. If you artificially remove cards, then you will know in advance which paths aren't worth taking, and that seems to just remove one layer from the game, and a huge chunk of replayability in the long run.

strungest wrote:

For example: removing much of red's trade results (i think) in scrapping still being powerful, but it no longer allows you to scrap your trash while ALSO buying high value cards from other colors(which often have the "draw a card" ability). This keeps the "play 12 cards a turn" to a minimum.

In this example I think you could still get separate cards with huge trade and scrap and the same end result could happen.

I also think playing 12 cards a turn is superfun and usually the second time you do that the game ends, except in cases where both players can do that in which case it's just an epic long game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I don't know, I've never found the scrapping to be any more powerful than the other strategies. If my opponent starts scrapping right away, I don't buy any economic cards, I go for as many green and yellow attack cards as possible. I usually end up winning before their deck is very lean.

When you buy a red card to scrap during deck 1, you don't scrap anything until deck 2, which means that in deck 3 you're even (1 card added, 1 card scrapped). It isn't until deck 4 that you're actually speeding things up (1 card added, 2 cards scrapped), and deck 5 and 6 is where you start to feel it. This assumes that you don't pull your scrap cards in the same hand when you end up shuffling. The red cards are not super powerful to attack with, so while your deck is getting better, you aren't necessarily doing a lot of damage.

On the other hand, if you buy a card that gives you 2 attack every round, you'll be at 2 attack for deck 1, 6 attack for deck 2, 16-18 attack by deck 3, 28-34 by deck 4, and 44-52 for deck 5. If you are able to get stronger cards, you'll be doing more damage than this.

Obviously it's not always that straightforward, but there is a counter to the red decks, and that's just straight up attacking as quickly as possible. The yellow cards become especially strong later on, because when a red deck is very lean, having to discard a few cards is a bad thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a b
msg tools
I was really hoping to focus more on "how the game changes if certain cards are removed" than to focus on what is "right" about the game right now.

For example: If you remove a lot of good low-cost cards than economy cards become more effective because there is simply more expensive things to buy in the trade row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Oh, OK, gotcha. I think that the 1 cost cards are kind of crappy, unless you buy in primarily with a single color, at which point they are actually pretty good. So, you could remove all of the 1 cost cards, and that would encourage people to pick multi color decks a little bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Also, if you want longer games, get rid of anything that has more attack than it's cost. This will make it a bit harder to be as aggressive from the start.

If you want shorter games, get rid of some of the bases. Buying a 5 strength base in the first couple of turns ends up giving you 20+ health through the game, getting rid of 2 bases per color would help lengthen the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strungest wrote:
I was really hoping to focus more on "how the game changes if certain cards are removed" than to focus on what is "right" about the game right now.

wallwaster wrote:
If you artificially remove cards, then you will know in advance which paths aren't worth taking, and that seems to just remove one layer from the game

I thought this answered it
More specifically, let's say you remove most of scrap, then what might happen is the player who can buy more damage because of trade row and draw cards together for ally abilities wins. You might try to go for a blue/base deck in this case, but I think for that to work you would have to get a very specific combination of blue cards, with drawing and topdecking for circulation. Or what could still happen is one player might still get lucky draws, and get all or most scrappers.

Anyway, have you played with all expansions mixed in? The trade deck is so huge at that point that you might never see a cutter in five games in a row. So I can see your problem with just the base game where it's pretty much all the same cards all the time, just coming out in different order, but with everything mixed in, it's very different, in fact the scenarios you would artificially create by removing cards would just happen naturally, but you would have to recognize it while you're playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.