5 Posts

Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Main Characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm a bit confused by this. The game looks fun, but these cards that come out and effectively do nothing if certain characters are main characters seem like a huge misstep. So you will always pick the relevant main characters and the game will just be much easier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
I'm a bit confused by this. The game looks fun, but these cards that come out and effectively do nothing if certain characters are main characters seem like a huge misstep. So you will always pick the relevant main characters and the game will just be much easier?

It's a cooperative game with numerous ways to adjust the difficulty level. Yes, you could plot out main character/player combos to max/min gameplay, but if you want more of a challenge, you randomly draw which characters are in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ok, thanks. I don't think this is for me. It's not a mechanism I care for at all. It reminds me of how they did some of the villains in Legendary Marvel - Magneto for instance. Without the X Men he's so easy as to be absurd. It feels contrived to me. I'll be passing on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a fan at all with this direction, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
We consider it a way to tweak difficulty. If you want to make the episode harder, play with the characters who get penalized by the episode cards. If you want to make it easier, play with the ones who benefit. If you don't care, randomize it.

For example, do/don't use Zoe against the Triumph Raiders. See what difference it makes.

That's how we treat Magneto in the Legendary game. You want to make it easier, add more X-Men. You want to make it harder, use less (or none).

Note also that to some degree, Upper Deck got away from the "Certain Masterminds/villain groups interact with certain hero groups" mechanism as it moved along through expansions. Galactus and Mole Man don't "require" that you play with Fantastic Four. Thanos doesn't require that you play with the Guardians. And so on. Magneto is more of a first-set outlier than anything. The concept still exists (play Legacy Virus with more/less Tech), but it's less group-reliant than color-reliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.