Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rick haroutunian
Canada
Georgetown
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you start your turn on a space with a monster and you try to evade it but fail, is your turn over? It mentions forfeit your action but I'm not sure I understand.

If you fail the evade, can you attack the monster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Upton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You (normally) get two actions. If evade was your first, and you forfeit the action you tried to use with evade, you would still have a second action which you could use to attack.

If you fail, the failure condition will be stated. If the failure condition is that you forfeit your action, then you lose the action you attempted in conjunction with the evade (perhaps move, interact, trade or search). However, your TURN is not forfeit. Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evade attempts are tied to two things: actions and attempts to leave your space as part of a move action. You do not perform an evade test at the start of your turn.

In further detail, you make an evade test when you are in a space with one or more monsters and you do one of the following:
• Try to perform an action other than Move or Attack.
• Try to move out of the space

If the evade test tells you to forfeit your action, then you don't get to do it, or you don't get to move out of the space (and if that movement was from a move action, you forfeit any additional movement points too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I am still not sure why the wording includes "move" in the "try to perform an action other than move or attack" rule. It seems to contradict the obvious rule that you need to evade a monster to move out of its space. In what sense of the move action would I not have to do an evade check? If only an involuntary move the why not word it as such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it is confusing. It's like this though...when you take the move action you still haven't actually moved. Instead you've basically generated 2 movement points (the game doesn't refer to it this way but essentially that is what has happened) which you can then spend to move. If you want to use one of these movement points you must first evade the monster.

So in essence...activating your Move Action doesn't trigger the evade check. Actually moving triggers it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's possible that this is so that, if desired, an investigator can just sit and do nothing while in a space with a monster, thus not incurring any possible ramifications of evades, attacks, etc? Scope on that would be pretty narrow, but I can imagine it theoretically being desirable if one investigator is extremely near elimination.

Because, to my knowledge, you can't just skip an investigator's turn, they have to perform two actions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say "up to two actions" which means you can take zero actions if you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
The rules say "up to two actions" which means you can take zero actions if you wish.

Fair enough! Then yeah, I agree that's a strange way to word it. Unless it assumes the first space moved leaves the initial Move action "open," which might theoretically trigger an evade for just moving INTO a monster's space. But it definitely could have been worded more clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It needs to be worded that way to avoid that double evade check as explained earlier.

Remember that evade checks can make you forfeit the action taken. Thus, for any action not excepted from the action condition of evade checks, you need to perform the test before you take any part of the action.

The second condition is also necessary. You need to create evade tests when a character starts adjacent to the monster, moves into its space and then tries to move again to complete the move action. This is covered by the condition on voluntarily leaving your space.

If the exceptions for the action condition did not include Move, then you would need to take an evade check before taking a Move action. If that did not result in forfeit, you would then actually perform the Move action and move away, but that triggers the second condition, so you would need to Evade again.

Reading the rules with a logical viewpoint, this is the only conclusion that can be reached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
This is clear, thanks. A distinction is made between choosing the move action and actually moving. You only make the evade test when you actually try to move out of a space with a monster. This aspect was clear and makes perfect sense since you may start your move from an adjacent space without a monster.

An evade check is only made when you try to execute "any part" of an action (except attack) when you are in a space with a monster; which would include "any part" of a move. The prerequisite is to be in a space with a monster.

If you start your turn in a space with a monster and choose move, you presumably want to move out of the space and will need to evade check before actually executing your physical move. So in this case the exception for move was confusing.

I sure hope I got this right now and thanks for all your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.