$30.00
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Okay, we all have our own opinions on the value or otherwise of the tile and monster pack 'expansions'. This is not about that debate, it's more informational.

I'm not sure how many people realize that with the 'conversion kit' that comes in the base box most of the stuff in these boxes is only aesthetic or of marginal use as relates to the base game (currently).

The fact is you can play ALL of the base game scenarios, WITH 1st edition components enabled, with only the 2nd edition base, with just a little improvisation.

The investigators only need a proxy miniature (or even a cardboard 'standee' of the character from another game like Eldritch Horror in some cases). Everything else they require is in the 'Conversion kit'.

The monsters only need their equivalent counters, again included in the 'Conversion kit'. The miniatures are aesthetic only. Indeed, some people prefer to use only the counters anyway.

The tiles are the biggest problem, but not as much as you might initially think.

The fact is that of the 4 scenarios currently in the App, 2 of them do not use 1st edition tiles at all, in any circumstances: 'Escape From Innsmouth' and 'Rising Tide'. So with proxy investigator miniatures and using only the counters for the monsters anyone can play these with 1st edition components enabled without buying the expansions. You can take this information as guaranteed, from someone who has experimented very thoroughly with the App.

'Shattered Bonds' and 'Cycles of Eternity' do have the potential to use 1st edition tiles but it will be clear from the very first tile shown if a 1st edition variant has been selected. If the very first tile the App instructs you to place is not from 2nd edition then simply restart the scenario. If the first tile shown is from 2nd edition then guaranteed the scenario WILL NOT use any 1st edition tiles. Although these two scenarios may require require a restart or two you won't have to do it over and over. For the record, the odds of 'Cycles of Eternity' using a variant with 1st edition tiles is only 1 in 3, and the odds are 1 in 2 for 'Shattered Bonds'. So you shouldn't be restarting over and over to get a playable map.

The above paragraph applies to the two scenarios in question as of the posting date. In future, who knows how they may be added to.

As things stand, if you have the willingness to proxy miniatures and use the monster tokens only then go ahead and enable the 1st edition components. The two scenarios outlined above ('Cycles of Eternity' and 'Shattered Bonds') may require the odd restart - at set up only and only if the very first tile shown is from 1st edition. The other 2 are good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing.

I was just about to post the question of how to use the conversion kit characters when Justin beat me to it with the answer!

I didn't know how dependent the scenarios were on the 1st Edition tile set but it seems not enough to be bothered.

I wish FFG had made the app more flexible as far as usable content. Being able to select what you would like to include (as far as characters, monsters, tiles, etc) would have made the game much more flexible.

Anyway, I am so very happy to be able to use the other investigators and monsters in the game.

Thanks Justin for the thorough research!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
And there I am - have just pre-ordered the two new expansions shake Hopefully they will still be worth having though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
The Wrong One wrote:
And there I am - have just pre-ordered the two new expansions shake Hopefully they will still be worth having though.

I think you'll need the new tiles for the new scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Theys
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this - I was wondering whether it was worth spending the cash for the 1st edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
The Wrong One wrote:

From the promotional material it seems as though the 2 accompanying scenarios WILL require the 1st edition tiles to be playable... so certainly not money wasted even if you're not very bothered about having the miniatures.

My OP, as I hope everyone understands, is about the 4 current scenarios only, NOT future content.

quidom wrote:
Amazing.

I was just about to post the question of how to use the conversion kit characters when Justin beat me to it with the answer!

I didn't know how dependent the scenarios were on the 1st Edition tile set but it seems not enough to be bothered.

Yes, you miss out on only a very small amount of variation through not having the 1st edition tiles and although I want to keep this thread informative rather than opinionated I have to say even that small amount of variety you miss is more novel than deeply game changing - it's over-simplifying somewhat but essentially true that the variation is along the lines of using a 1st edition Kitchen tile instead of a 2nd edition one, a 1st edition bedroom instead of a 2nd edition one etc - and then shuffling the tiles around a bit. But it still feels essentially like the same scenario with the same objective, same story, same basic setting, same mechanics, same things to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Thematically if you're all about the story and the adventure and want to get immersed in the game itself, the expansions will be worth it so you can play with those monsters and tiles. If you own the minis, such as the pre-painted like I do, then you'll probably want to use those if able, But either way, the Tiles are really great at creating the atmosphere of what you're doing and when your character is.

Personally, I love the artwork on the Tiles and to me, it makes a huge difference while playing the game.

If you can't afford them, which is understandable since they're 50 buck MSRP Each, then you could use your imagination and play without them

Consieveably speaking, you could play with just the App, some of the item cards, the monsters on any tiles, and the dice if you wanted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the first scenario in the second edition with the 1st edition content checked in the app's options. I was able to use the other investigators (proxied a different mini) and the monsters using the tokens supplied in the conversion kit and it played perfectly. It was nice to add more variety to the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so,with the conversion kit you don't need any cards from the 1st edition?..just the tiles and monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
so,with the conversion kit you don't need any cards from the 1st edition?..just the tiles and monsters.

...to play the scenarios that come with the second edition. Yes. You can forego the monsters by using the tokens in the conversion kit. Use something else for the investigators (tokens, proxy minis, home made standees, etc), and you don't need the tiles. If the scenario starts with a tile you don't have, then simply restart the scenario until you get a tile you have and you are golden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how about the suppressed memories expansion scenario? Can't remember the name. Has anyone played it? Does it use 1ed tiles if you tell the app you own 1ed? Or just suppressed memories and 2ed tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amodman wrote:
So how about the suppressed memories expansion scenario? Can't remember the name. Has anyone played it? Does it use 1ed tiles if you tell the app you own 1ed? Or just suppressed memories and 2ed tiles?

I've only played the new scenarios once so far, and I don't own Forbidden Alchemy, so take this with a grain of salt:

My layout for Dearly Departed was all base MoM/Recurring Nightmares, and my layout for Sentinel Hill was all Call of the Wild/Suppressed Memories. No 2ed tiles in either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robinson
msg tools
Great work Justin!

Does anybody know precisely which tiles from the original game are used if 1st edition is enabled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
amodman wrote:

I'm not sure exactly what you meant but to be 100% clear the tiles included in 'Suppressed Memories' and 'Recurring Nightmares' are the 1st edition tiles repackaged.

'Cult of Sentinel Hill' (the scenario unlocked with the Suppressed Memories set) has 2 variants: one exclusively uses tiles originating in the 1st edition expansion 'Call of the Wild', one uses those tiles plus some originating in the 1st edition expansion 'Forbidden Alchemy'. All the tiles are contained in the 'Suppressed Memories' tile and figure set. No exclusively 2nd edition tiles are used.

'Dearly Departed' (the scenario unlocked with the Recurring Nightmares set) has no map variants and uses tiles originating in the 2nd edition base set and the 1st edition base set (found in the 'Recurring Nightmares' tile and figure set).

In a nutshell, 'Cult of Sentinel Hill' absolutely requires either the 'Suppressed Memories' set or 'Call of the Wild' to be playable.

'Dearly Departed' absolutely requires the 'Recurring Nightmares' set or the 1st edition base game to be playabale.

Playing either without the sets I've outlined would require proxying nearly all the tiles, which I don't recommend at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:

'Dearly Departed' (the scenario unlocked with the Recurring Nightmares set) has no map variants and uses tiles originating in the 2nd edition base set and the 1st edition base set (found in the 'Recurring Nightmares' tile and figure set).

FYI, I've had three map variants for Dearly Departed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
mattrob2016 wrote:
Great work Justin!

Does anybody know precisely which tiles from the original game are used if 1st edition is enabled?

'Cycle of Eternity'
potentially uses (from 1st edition base except where noted):

Attic Loft / Attic Stairs
Dining Room / Kitchen / Kitchen Storage
Foyer
Hallway 2
Hallway 4
Library / Study
Master Bedroom
Rooftop (Forbidden Alchemy)

'Shattered Memories' potentially uses (from 1st edition base):

Attic Loft / Attic Stairs
Basement Landing / Basement Stairs / Basement Storage
Dining Room / Kitchen / Kitchen Storage
Foyer
Gallery / Coat Room
Guest Bedroom / Storage Closet
Hallway 3
Library / Study
Nursery / Bathroom 2

'Cult of Sentinel' Hill potentially uses (from Call of the Wild, except where noted(:

Cave Entrance
Dungeon Cave / Dungeon Cell / Torture Chamber
Hilltop
Old Forest / Forest Edge
Old Oak
Ritual Site
River Crossing 1 / River Crossing 2 / Covered Bridge
River Rapids 1 / River Rapids 2
Spruce Grove
Graveyard 2 (Forbidden Alchemy)
Morgue / Quarantine Room (Forbidden Alchemy)

'Dearly Departed' uses (from 1st edition base):

Backyard / Storage shed
Chapel
Furnace Room
Garden / Entryway
Graveyard
Tower Room / Tower Stairs / Attic Storage

DancingFool wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

FYI, I've had three map variants for Dearly Departed.

I played 3 full games plus a couple of experiments with the App and did not get a single map variant, nor have I heard anyone else say they have. What do you mean by variants? In this thread I'm talking exclusively about tiles used, not variation in monsters, events etc. If you are indeed getting map variants then they are either very obscure, I got a very unlikely statistical run, or they have been added since I played the scenario. If anyone else can confirm what you say then I'm very interested to hear about it. When I have time I will simulate a few games on the App and check for myself.

Edit: Well, you got me curious and so I checked in the App. In the very 1st game started up I did indeed get a map variant using 'Call of the Wild' tiles. So take the information above for that scenario as being incomplete.

I believe these variants are new. Has anyone else noticed new variants of this or any other scenarios? It's certainly an interesting development if it is indeed the case.

Oh, and further edit to say thanks for this information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robinson
msg tools
Good lord man, you're a machine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant map variations. I played Dearly Departed the day it came out, so the map variations have been there the whole time. The only thing that was the same throughout was the chapel tile.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I've seen the final rooms be in either the basement or the attic of the chapel, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Scharr
msg tools
I think I have a perfect solution to playing the 2 expansion scenarios

Technically the Mansions of Madness app contains all the image data for the expansion tiles. Can't someone with a half decent color printer just extract those tile art files from the app and print them to play with? Using that together with the conversion kit monster chits should let you play the expansion content just fine (sans new investigators, which you can proxy anyways).

Only thing is, I don't know how to extract those images from the Mansions of Madness app. Anyone want to take a stab at this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Like this ?
I got all tiles from 1st edition from some site I don't remember -

in fact I have better quality versions in a word file so will try and put these either in my gallery or in the files sction.
I havnt tried to print these so not sure how good they will look.

Also not sure if I would be breaking any trademark laws by uploading ??arrrh

EDIT: Unfortunately having read through the legal jargon on the files uploading page , I think I better not put them there- sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.