Subject: A Few Practical Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B C
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
I've played a few times and I've got a couple practical non-gameplay questions and figured this would be the best place. I've poked around a bit here but I may have missed something, so if any of these questions have been answered, please just post a link.

1) What are your opinions on the BGG Accordion/dry erase boards and the Etsy insert? Any other game aids around?

2) Has anybody asked if just buying more resource tokens from Splotter is a possibility? At one time or another we've run out of Goods tokens of one type in each game (as mentioned in other threads, this usually happens to us when Radio Campaigns show up) and another 20-ish tokens of each type would be nice.

3) Money replacement. I realize this is a subject that has come up before, and the solutions for those who don't like the game money are either money cards or poker chips. Does anybody know of a set of money cards they particularly like? I haven't seen any other than the Dice Tower ones from their Kickstarter.

4) Most game boxes seem to have a lot of space in them, which I tend to dislike. FCM is the opposite as the game is a pretty tight fit for the box without any game modifications. I've just sleeved cards and can barely get the game into the box. How have people who have done stuff like #1, #2, and/or #3 stored FCM? The box doesn't seem like it would have space.

Thanks in advance, I'm really loving this game and hoping to get a bunch more plays in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Love the dry erase player aid you can download and laminate. Helps a lot with space. I don't use the accordion, I have a book for magic cards that opens to show 16 cards at a time so we pass that around. Works great.

2. I haven't run into an issue, but I have also replaced most with dollhouse bits from eBay.

3. Poker chips. Period. Or real money

4. The binder sits outside my box, so it's not an issue for bits. I also put sheet magnet on the back of the tiles to place them on a magnetic erase board so they are even thicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some pictures, they say more than a thousand words

Everything is sleeved and fits into the box along with player aids and wooden discs.

These are my player aids, all from the files section right here on the 'Geek. White discs to cover up the milestones already earned and an aid to track the total salary owed with a black disc.

To save on table space needed I went out and bought these Plexiglas business card holders. They are able to hold all 32 employee cards. The down side is I have to keep them separate as they are too big to fit into the box.

And yes, poker chips are something you should invest in. I use them for every game that has money in it. Five different colors/denominations should suffice but if you're planing on getting into 18XX, I'd recommend at least seven different colors/denominations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Glimme
United States
California
flag msg tools
3. I have replaced the money with real money. I washed a large pile of coins and it works pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered the Etsy insert so I don't have it yet, but one of the reasons I got it is because it holds everything in the box solving (4) (and saves table space of course). There is a sleeve version and a non-sleeve version.

For extras tokens, I know Meeple Source sells a set that are painted to look better. They are a bit pricey and not currently in stock, but I believe they would match the originals pretty well. If you are interested, you might send them an email to ask when they would be back in stock.

I believe the usual solution to paper money is to buy a nice poker chip set and use that for multiple games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Played the game with the accordion and have ordered one. I haven't looked at other player aids yet.
d10-2 No opinion as yet.
d10-3 Since the money is not really used much, I wouldn't bother.
d10-4 Once the accordion arrives I doubt that everything will fit and the lid close properly and we don't sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith

Cold Spring Harbor
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the BGG accordion, and it's great. I can't imagine playing the game without it. One caveat: it might take a use or two for the cardboard to settle into the correct folds. Or you can fold it and use a book or something to weigh it down for a day.

The dry erase achievement boards are also very useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vitus979 wrote:
1) What are your opinions on the BGG Accordion/dry erase boards and the Etsy insert?

I use the accordion and erase boards all the time. The accordion is sturdy, so it takes a while to get it folded in such a way that it won't jump out.
We use the erase boards, but just use goods tokens to put on them, instead of using dry erasers.

vitus979 wrote:
At one time or another we've run out of Goods tokens of one type in each game.

We never ran out, although I've mostly played with 3 players.

vitus979 wrote:
3) Money replacement.

I use poker chips for almost all board games that require money. Never looked back.

vitus979 wrote:
I've just sleeved cards and can barely get the game into the box. How have people who have done stuff like #1, #2, and/or #3 stored FCM? The box doesn't seem like it would have space.

I also sleeve my cards. I stored the following separately, since I don't use it: game money, milestone cards, German player aids. And then it fits just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a couple of packs of Artana's card money, it's really nice quality
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Singh
United States
Moreno Valley
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if there are plans to restock the organizer in the Geek Store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
singhalex wrote:
It's in stock for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Singh
United States
Moreno Valley
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
singhalex wrote:
It's in stock for me?

I should have checked before I posted. It was out of stock last I checked. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
Tarnop wrote:
I got a couple of packs of Artana's card money, it's really nice quality

Would that be the Presidents cards, or something else? Those look nice, and I'm somewhat intrigued. I can only find Galactic cards and Presidents cards on their site, and everything is for preorder. Anybody know how long until the preorders are due to ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vitus979 wrote:
Would that be the Presidents cards, or something else? Those look nice, and I'm somewhat intrigued. I can only find Galactic cards and Presidents cards on their site, and everything is for preorder. Anybody know how long until the preorders are due to ship?

I got Famous Women of History ( see here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/artana/the-best-damn-ga... )

That pack is no longer available, but I believe the Presidents set uses the same card stock and printing process

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
As a followup, I got the BGG Store dry erase boards, accordion, and the Artana BillBundle.

1) Love the Presidents BillBundle, I could see using it for a couple other games like Power Grid as well as FCM.

2) Managed to get the game + accordion + milestones boards in the box with only a tiny amount of float on the lid.

One last question. The example upthread shows white and black discs for marking the Milestones. Are there any discs for sale that are white on one side and black on the other...aka like the old Othello pieces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vitus979 wrote:
As a followup, I got the BGG Store dry erase boards, accordion, and the Artana BillBundle.

1) Love the Presidents BillBundle, I could see using it for a couple other games like Power Grid as well as FCM.

Glad you like them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
vitus979 wrote:
One last question. The example upthread shows white and black discs for marking the Milestones. Are there any discs for sale that are white on one side and black on the other...aka like the old Othello pieces?

Well, you could always buy Othello pieces. I did a quick search, and there are plenty of people selling them on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
tckoppang wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Well, you could always buy Othello pieces. I did a quick search, and there are plenty of people selling them on eBay.

I think it might be cheaper to actually just buy a couple copies of the older travel versions of Othello, use the pieces, and throw out the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.