Subject: First play. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just played my first 5p game of MN:E and what an interesting game it is. I was Greece (green) and think I made a big mistake in the first round. I placed a control marker and a camel next to my starting territory but also next to the Roman player. In Phase 4 (Still of the first round) he placed his Legion on my control marker, and I lost the race for legions in round 2 and subsequently lost that territory.
I had invested two sets of three to get an economy going and lost those. The rest of the game was a struggle to recover but felt I never really had a chance and struggled. Especially since the Babylonian player had now claimed two Legendary cities. The Egyptian player had amassed a good many coins and built the Pyramids in turn 6 or so.
Now, as I stated in the first sentence: I am happy to have added the game to my collection and I look forward to playing it again. I am not really familiar with Civ building games, so my hunch is that I have made quite a few mistakes in this game (in trading, for instance), and I have an even stronger suspicion that my overextending in turn 1 was a big booboo.
Could you please confirm this is so? Did I overlook anything? Should I have joined Rome in the arms race or should I have invested in even more camels/buildings?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing too much about how the first round went, I'm assuming you (as Greece) built your caravan in Dalmatia. I'm not quite sure how Rome got its legion there in the first turn unless Rome built legions in Gallia or built a trireme. If Rome built legions in Gallia, you could have moved a legion into Gallia from Macedonia, which would have resulted in 1 kill for Greece. I'm not sure how resources were spent, though. If I were building before Rome and wanted Dalmatia, I'd probably put a control marker, a caravan, and a fortress there. A fortress will discourage attack.

I've documented my experience in learning the game from the first to the ninth, if you're interested: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1590464/first-two-games

The biggest lessons were in trading. With repeat plays, though, I think you'll get a feel for it and come to love the way it works once you pick up the strategy and can teach it to others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget about negotiations in this game. When I play Greece I usually try and cut a deal with Roman he can have everything next
To my border and I try to get an agreement that neither of us will militarize. This means he can concentrate on his west or southern flank and I can spread east in an attempt to secure Troy and prepare for battle against Babylon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have loved to build that fortress, but poor trading meant I could not get 3 buildings built
(That entire trading part is a beautiful aspect of the game that is still beyond my grasp. I misjudged/found myself with only 2 sets of 3 on too many occasions.)

Having said that, the game - even though I never really stood a chance because of those silly mistakes - didn't bomb at all. I look forward to playing again and trying out all the races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.