Subject: Card Game for 2 for a long flight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ignacio Rodriguez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

I am going to spend 10 hours on a plane and I was thinking about good games to play for my girlfriend and I. I was thinking about "Oh my goods" but I heard not so many good things about it and "Love Letter" seems not so interesting to play only with 2 players, maybe "Star Realms"? I am finding it quite difficult to find the perfect game so I need you help, good people of bgg!

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to try Valley of the Kings, which is a deck building game with a reasonably small footprint (as far as deckbuilders go) or Sushi Go!, which is a fast, easy card drafting game. But I don't think I would want to play either of them for 10 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Oh my goods has been "fixed" somewhat with a new set of rules. It is very compact when packed away, which is nice for traveling, but table space might be a problem, though I imagine you could compress it down to say 2 tray tables.

A couple of very light games that don't take much space and can be played repeatedly:
Tides of Time
Beasty Bar

Arboretum is a meatier card game that packs compact. Player tableaus can spread out a bit on the table, but you can compress them by overlapping cards, so you could play it on 2 tray tables.

Biblios could be played on one table.

Of course, if you have a tablet, there are a number of games that can be played pass-and-play mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could pretty easily play Race for the Galaxy for 10 hours, even against one opponent, because I have. (Though perhaps not 10 consecutive hours.) Steep learning curve, rich depth, it could hold your interest the entire flight if you give it a chance.

Each player's tableau could fit pretty easily on a single seatback tray table. If you have space between you, you could use the box top to hold the draw deck and discard pile. Keep the victory chips in the small plastic bag and take them out as you score.

Even if you don't go RFTG, small tableau-builder games seem to be a good idea for the space available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, since you mention Love Letter, two-player Citadels is a tableau-builder that plays like Love Letter's deduction mechanic but with more meat on its bones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't dismiss traditional card games - Cribbage is a great game for whiling away a few hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, you can even play two-player Haggis with a single conventional playing card deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Varboncouer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

The Game
oddball Äeronauts
Red7

For reference sake, here is my geeklist that shows these being played on a tray table: Played on a Plane Picture Proof

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Heyse
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a huge range of themes for different Fluxx games. I play Firefly Fluxx with my husband all the time, and every run through is different. I'd recommend Cthulu Fluxx because the Doom aspect is so fun.

Pie Factory is a neat game too and works well with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are going on a 9 hr flight soon and are taking:
Red7
Dead Drop
Game of Trains
Also, Ingenious: Travel Edition but that's not a card game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios has a small footprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Schwalenberg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Easiest and cheapest would be a simple deck of 52 cards.
So freakin many games playable with that.
Reduce it to a 32 and a whole new universe of games opens up to you.

Even if Skat (a 3-player game) and his brothers/sisters like Schafskopf are the most popular for example here in germany,
you could play "Offiziers-Skat" a 2-player variant.
I killed hours upon hours with it and friends for example in lunch time,
or a 16 hour bus ride from Amsterdam to Leipzig (because of a 4 hour traffic jam).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Venezuela
Caracas
flag msg tools
I like turtles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Scotland, fun, it comes in small box and won't take much space on the little airplane tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game is a good filler game that my wife and I have played over and over again. It has a small footprint(4 stacks of cards) so it would fit on one tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Dungeon qualifies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BenjaRocks BenjaRocks
Spain
Sant Sadurní d'Anoia
Catalunya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are into coops Hanabi is your choice. My copy has visited many countries so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Carnehl
United States
Fox Point
WI
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Oh My Goods!. It has some unique mechanics, tough choices, and it's exciting. But, is table area a concern? Are you playing on the tray tables? If that's the case, I don't think you'd have room for this one. It spreads out quite a bit. I'd definitely say the same thing about Star Realms. Fantastic game but maybe not ideal for a flight.

For a great and small (and small footprint) 2P card game I'd recommend:

Red7 Very small. Very deep.
the Game
Hanabi
Tides of Time or the lighter Sushi Go!
The Manhattan Project: Chain Reaction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abhishek Nayak
India
Bangalore
Karnataka
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd suggest Sushi Go! and [thing= 54043]Jaipur[thing=]. Jaipur is my favourite two player travel game. Sushi Go! is fun for a few rounds, but gets repetitive pretty fast. You could also try Ahambra: The card game which takes about 30 minutes per round and is a game that plays with 2 people just as well as with 4 people.

edit: Wrongly mentioned Istanbul instead of Jaipur. Updated now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.