Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I play a card that has a special ability and that card takes me over the 8 butterfly limit, do I still get the special ability if I discard that card (to go below the 8 butterfly limit)?

Or do you only get to carry out the special ability if you discard some other card?

Also, I know carrying out the special ability is option, but let's say you did it (drawing a card to add to your hand and put one on the bottom and the similar one for the jar) - can you discard the one you just drew or must you do a swap?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
If I play a card that has a special ability and that card takes me over the 8 butterfly limit, do I still get the special ability if I discard that card (to go below the 8 butterfly limit)?

Or do you only get to carry out the special ability if you discard some other card?

Also, I know carrying out the special ability is option, but let's say you did it (drawing a card to add to your hand and put one on the bottom and the similar one for the jar) - can you discard the one you just drew or must you do a swap?

Thanks

First off, the special ability occurs before placing the card with the special ability in the jar (unless it is a deliver to garden ability, in which case the card goes to the garden and not the jar). Second, after you've used the special ability, if the number of butterflies in jar is over 8, you must discard immediately. Third, the card with the special ability is moved to the jar.

Example: I play a card that allows me to take top card from deck and deliver to jar. When it's my turn, I use the special ability and draw a card with 3 butterflies, add it to the jar, and now I have 9 butterflies. I must immediately discard a card, so I go to 8 or below. Then, I add the card I played to the jar (and possibly go over again?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that makes sense

What about the other question? If you decide to carry out the special ability of drawing a card from the deck, place it in your hand, and return one to the bottom of the deck (or the one swapping out a card in your jar) can you return the card you just drew? or must you carry out the swap and return another card?

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
Thanks, that makes sense

What about the other question? If you decide to carry out the special ability of drawing a card from the deck, place it in your hand, and return one to the bottom of the deck (or the one swapping out a card in your jar) can you return the card you just drew? or must you carry out the swap and return another card?

Thanks again

You may return the drawn card, since it is now part of your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.