Popular Tags: [View All]
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I have two core sets and one of each expansion. Is there any need to get extra copies of the expansions? In light of the FFG/GW news now is the time o do it if it is needed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webb
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For that matter, how necessary is second core set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends. I think there is plenty of variety in just one box. But if you really want to be able to make every possible combination get two.

I think it is less necessary than it is for the core game, so I you did not need it in the core you do not need it in the expansions. The units are more concentrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
The real issue is that the core set only comes with one of certain disks that you'd likely want two of in many armies (things like Knights Panther and the like). That said, even with this limitation there is still quite a bit there.

The expansion sets have much less a problem with that as they give you an amount of disks proportional to the size which tends to work out to be about as many as you'd ever want to run of a disk (and frequently more, I don't think you'll ever want 2 ancestral statues or doom diver catapults)

As such, I'd say one of each expansion and two core set is the most efficient way of doing things. That said, even just one of each would give you a lot to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two of the Undead set, which lets me run six Daemonettes or two Zombie Dragons. Beyond that I don't see a need. I never bothered picking up a second Dwarf box, and I haven't regretted it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seamless wrote:

Well, you still need the core set if you want to play the game. Just because its going out of print doesn't mean you have to throw your copy away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diarmud wrote:
Hello!

I have two core sets and one of each expansion. Is there any need to get extra copies of the expansions? In light of the FFG/GW news now is the time o do it if it is needed...

Need, no. Its dependent on what you want to do army building wise. If you want to make a 100% Skaven army, you'll need another set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiken Bird wrote:
Diarmud wrote:
Hello!

Need, no. Its dependent on what you want to do army building wise. If you want to make a 100% Skaven army, you'll need another set.

Can't make an 100% Skaven deck (2- or 3-regiment) without house rules. There is only one champion/hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Gosport
flag msg tools
badge
mb
seamless wrote:

It was highly desirable but with the time ticking down I'd probably bump that up to essential. With just one box the lack of options will eventually frustrate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about balance? With 2 core, 1 HaH and 1 LoD, the core races get a lot of options and are able to use 2 Bloodthirster or 2 Knights Panther, for example. While dwarfs and vampire counts are limited to one box set each (1 Zombie Dragon, 1 Runic Cannon). Are dwarfs and vampires thus reduced to weird/fun alternatives, rather than fully competitive races?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
Because of the way the disks are distributed in the expansions, I don't think that either the dwarves or the vampire counts are reduced in terms of competitive army options unless you want 2 zombie dragons or 2 runic/flame cannons but personally I don't think that any of those sound like a good idea (you can only reanimate 1 zombie dragon per turn, and if you want to duplicate flame/runic cannons it's frequently better to use engineers than another cannon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.