Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Yet another "2 player game with girlfriend" post rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristen Aben
msg tools
I'm in search of a solid two player game for me and my girlfriend to play based on her preferences. Here are some of the things I've noticed.

Her Preferences
-she prefers board games over card games.

-she doesn't like direct conflict (like war games, even dice city was too attacky for her) but she doesn't mind competition over places on the board (like Agricola)

-she doesn't like really light games, like jaipur.

-she loves co-ops

Her Favorites:
-Agricola
-Defenders of the Realm
-Patchwork (even though it's kind of light)
-Fuse (light but fun co-op)

Thinking about getting:
-roll through the ages: the bronze age
-karuba
-Robinson Crusoe:adventures on the cursed island
-zooloretto
-eldritch horror

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you list Defenders of the Realm I can assume attacking is okay when its in a co-op and dice aren't an issue.

So Eldrich/Arkham horror would probably go over well. I'd also suggest Space Cadets: Away Missions in that vein.

Apart from that, it sounds like some meatier Euros might be of interest. My personal favorites (mid-weight) are Rococo and Alchemists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1: Lords of Waterdeep
#2: Patchwork
#3: Seasons
#4: Takenoko
#5: Kingsburg
#6: Thebes
#7: Defenders of the Realm
#8: Jambo
#9: Stone Age
#10: Abyss

This is my wife's current top ten games, and since they share two of the same top games (Patchwork and Defenders), perhaps it will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Melrose
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds similar to my fiancee and me. We really love Suburbia. It's mostly multiplayer solitaire but we have a ton of fun with it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe and Eldritch Horror both are awesome games with some weight though and lots of rules.

Two suggestions for lighter cooperative games:

Elder Sign gets even better with the expansions.

Pandemic: The Cure the dice version of Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
Burgle Bros. for a fun, not overly light, coop. Great for 2 if you don't mind controlling 2 characters each (very easy in this one)
The Networks has a great theme, and the only conflict is trying to acquire resources before your opponent can get them.

My girlfriend and I have soured on Eldritch Horror for kinda beating us down (I expect that's half the point) but mechanically works great for 2 and has more meat than typical coops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Arle

...and it's a wrap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a good co-op that plays well with 2 players I would suggest forbidden island. The game gets pretty intense trying to stay alive, especially playing on higher difficulties.

Tiny epic defenders is also another one that I like. It's more of a placement game than it is a direct conflict game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 player

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game
Dungeon Lords
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Galaxy Trucker
Merchant of Venus

These are some of my wives favs.. and we play them two player!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
tilde72 wrote:
Fields of Arle

...and it's a wrap

Correct answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, I wouldn't get Zooloretto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carney
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves co-ops, too. I would suggest picking up a couple very playable, portable ones you can take anywhere:
The Game
Hanabi

And then for bigger table games, I echo what another person said about Pandemic: The Cure. Think also about Forbidden Desert and one of my very favorites, Thunderbirds.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Regular Pandemic seems to be a massive hit with my girl and other friends' girls. Works very well with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Aben
msg tools
So I ended up buying Space Cadets: Away Missions I couldnt resist the $48 no tax amazon prime deal, plus I watched rahdos video on it and he totally sold it.

@Daily Grind thanks for the suggestion.

@Dan Bungart we love Stone Age too! we definitely have similar interests, I've been on the fence about Lords of Waterdeep FOR SO LONG, I don't know what it is about it that prevents me from ordering it, I think the board itself does not visually appeal to me that much, I don't know.

@Josh Bodah Suburbia is another one that I've been on the fence about, I used to play simcity growing up, and I loved it, I know I shouldn't compare it directly to that, but still. I'm also big on visually appealing games. I've played Suburbia once and didn't get very good vibes from it, I liked the gameplay a lot, but I couldn't immerse myself. Maybe I just need to play it more?

@Mondkab123 I love Pandemic: The Cure but my friend owns this and we play his copy all the time, plus we've been playing a lot of regular Pandemic. It definitely is on my wishlist though.

@Ian Williams Burgle Bros. looks awesome! we love co-ops and I love the theme. but where on earth do you find a copy? I looked on amazon and on coolstuffinc.

@A K Vikhagen we love agricola but feel that sometimes it goes by too fast and we didnt have time to do exactly what we wanted to do, maybe we're just not experienced enough yet with only 10 plays under our belt...not sure. But I watched the rahdo review on Fields of Arle and wow it looks amazing, he mentioned that he doesnt like sandbox games that give you everything from the start, and then you can go whichever direction you please. I've never had a game like this, or have played a sandbox type game. It has a pricey tag on it at $80 and its out of stock on amazon and coolstuffinc, I might have to go down to the board game lounge and try it out before I buy this one! I'm really interested though.

@Bryan we have Forbidden Island and love it! Sometimes its a little too easy and light though, but it has its time and place.

@Scott M. Vlaada Chvatil games almost intimidate me! I think this comes from the time I played Galaxy Trucker once, with literally zero explanation, and everyone else knew how to play. Needless to say I didn't like the mechanics at all and have been deterred from Vlaada games ever since haha. A scarred gaming past I guess. ..But Escape: The Curse of the Temple looks awesome, I was about to get this then I got FUSE instead just because it was cheaper, and we love it!

@Liam I'm just waiting until November 30th so I can snag a copy of the 2nd edition haha

@Adam Carney Thunderbirds looks awesome, do you have to be a fan of the series to like this game?

Thanks again everyone for all the input!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you consider Fields of Arle you might also take a look at Caverna: The Cave Farmers, though Rahdo doesn't like it , because he thinks there are too many options from the start of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Quote:
@A K Vikhagen we love agricola but feel that sometimes it goes by too fast and we didnt have time to do exactly what we wanted to do, maybe we're just not experienced enough yet with only 10 plays under our belt...not sure. But I watched the rahdo review on Fields of Arle and wow it looks amazing, he mentioned that he doesnt like sandbox games that give you everything from the start, and then you can go whichever direction you please. I've never had a game like this, or have played a sandbox type game. It has a pricey tag on it at $80 and its out of stock on amazon and coolstuffinc, I might have to go down to the board game lounge and try it out before I buy this one! I'm really interested though.

Everything you wrote here suggests that you will really like Fields of Arle: it is longer, and has more, and more open strategy options. I hope that you can find the time to play this one, and/or buy a reasonably priced copy. Another note about FoA: next year they will publish an expansion that will add even more strategic options, and allow a third player, and I think they also have plans to republish the base game then.

As for your selection of Space Cadets: Excellent choice! The game is a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abyss, Forbidden Desert, Hanabi absolutely great picks.
XCOM: The Board Game has been a surprise hit with my group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
If you consider Fields of Arle you might also take a look at Caverna: The Cave Farmers, though Rahdo doesn't like it , because he thinks there are too many options from the start of the game.

Fields of Arle is real nice but my wife broke that game's self appointed "high score" like it was nothing (she's really "too" good at Euros) so I never wanted to play it with her because she'd double my score If you can get it for a decent price, since I think it's OOP, then I'd snag it. Caverna is really only for more people I believe (3+). 

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincennes Faronto
Indonesia
palembang
flag msg tools
takenoko's component always caught the eye of the ladies
and after looking at the panda figurine they'll go "aww so cute"
almost always, gameplay wise also age and gender freindly, everyone can play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
Junglecat842 wrote:
@Ian Williams Burgle Bros. looks awesome! we love co-ops and I love the theme. but where on earth do you find a copy? I looked on amazon and on coolstuffinc.

Thanks again everyone for all the input!!

Looks like this one's between printings, with more due in October. I had to import this one from France, but thebest places to look out for it are at the publisher's own site (http://fowers-games.myshopify.com/products/burgle-bros) or to periodically look at boardgameprices.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about something brand spanking new? Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a list of some of the board games i play with my girl friend on the regular, that fit your description.

- Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
- Carcassonne
- Last Will
- Ticket to Ride
- Caverna: The Cave Farmers
- Zombicide

i would recommend Last will in particular, thee first day we discovered it we played it 3 times back to back! (and still wanted to play again)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't waste your time with Roll Through the Ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Galaxy Defenders may be a possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective

Every review I have heard RAVES about this game, includeing Shut Up and Sit Down who recommended #1 for solo or as the best game to play with GF/Wifey. I'm going to get it to play with my wife! You can get it for around $35-$40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.