Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the recent news of FFG losing the GW license, this game (and others) are in serious danger of being orphaned. Given its popularity and sales, I suspect FFG might be tempted to re-design and re-release it in the Rune Quest universe.

As long as game mechanics remain the same, it really doesn't matter (other than asthetics) if the art and iconography change on the fronts of the cards. I imagine the question is compatibility of the card backs. Specially the locations, monsters, loot, etc...

I'm not familiar with the Warhammer universe so can someone give an idea how in/compatible the base WQ:tACG might be with expansions in the RQ universe? Specifically, what trademarked art if any is there on the WQ:tACG card backs? Can FFG reuse this back for a new design?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The back in your photo is very similar to a Goblin tribe design. I don't know if that was intentional, but that stylized moon is quite common in the Warhammer Old World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
A cheap pack of sleeves cures back art woes.

If the different Legendary games had different backs, for instance, I would actually sleeve them with solid color backed sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
The back in your photo is very similar to a Goblin tribe design. I don't know if that was intentional, but that stylized moon is quite common in the Warhammer Old World.

Yeah, I figured it had some connection. I just wonder if it's original enough that FFG can reuse it in a re-themed version or will it be GW proprietary?

IMCarnochan wrote:
A cheap pack of sleeves cures back art woes.

If the different Legendary games had different backs, for instance, I would actually sleeve them with solid color backed sleeves.

Certainly however if the backs match to begin with that's an indeterminate number of opaque sleeves you don't have to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they retheme it, there will be an entirely new base set. Not sure why matching card backs would be relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:

As long as game mechanics remain the same, it really doesn't matter (other than asthetics) if the art and iconography change on the fronts of the cards. I imagine the question is compatibility of the card backs. Specially the locations, monsters, loot, etc...

I'm not familiar with the Warhammer universe so can someone give an idea how in/compatible the base WQ:tACG might be with expansions in the RQ universe? Specifically, what trademarked art if any is there on the WQ:tACG card backs? Can FFG reuse this back for a new design?

IP can be a quagmire can't it, but I'm almost sure that none of the card backs imagery could be claimed to be owned by GW. The moon design comes the closest, but there is nothing really the same in the various GW goblin moon symbols that I've ever seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
If they retheme it, there will be an entirely new base set. Not sure why matching card backs would be relevant.

Presuming the new game is mechanically the same, new expansions could be played with the old core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If FFG would do something here, they would be much more likely to start over with a new core set such that the theme and look is consistent.

If they do these games mechanics again, it's likely to be Star Wars anyway right? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marlowc wrote:
The moon design comes the closest, but there is nothing really the same in the various GW goblin moon symbols that I've ever seen.

Same, no. Similar, quite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
marlowc wrote:
The moon design comes the closest, but there is nothing really the same in the various GW goblin moon symbols that I've ever seen.

Same, no. Similar, quite.

That's what I figured, "inspired by" but not necessarily specifically a trademarked GW design?

In a perfect world where the publisher cared about its loyal customer base, they might make the new game compatible with the old. Unfortunately what will probably happen is it will become LotR Quest, Star Wars Quest, or Arkham Quest. Because we don't yet have enough product in those genres?

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco M
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
matthewabair wrote:
If they do these games mechanics again, it's likely to be Star Wars anyway right? cry

No, please, spare me another star wars game !! I am a big fan of the original series (4, 5 and 6) and I enjoyed playing Empire Assault campaigns but I cannot bear more star wars games and news.

I would be extremely happy to see a fantasy game (terrinoth universe) compatible with WQACG but it seems unlikely possible due to:
- different art style (goblin card back) and background
- game balance. FFG will probably reboot the game instead of trying to create something compatible but different than the six existing characters

On the other hand I would not mind at all mixing my Warhammer heroes with a daqan (alias Bretonnian) knight fighting together terrinoth undead or demons.

My main concern is that Warhammer quest would remain somehow "incomplete" but I think terrinoth universe is enough "generic" (unread and daemons in particular) to create a new adventure card game compatible with WQACG.

But, after WQACG delusion, I will be extremely careful before putting again my cent (and trust) on FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mithrandir82 wrote:

No, please, spare me another star wars game !! I am a big fan of the original series (4, 5 and 6) and I enjoyed playing Empire Assault campaigns but I cannot bear more star wars games and news.

I would be extremely happy to see a fantasy game (terrinoth universe) compatible with WQACG but it seems unlikely possible due to:
- game balance. FFG will probably reboot the game instead of trying to create something compatible but different than the six existing characters

If FFG decide to re-skin this excellent game mechanic, it seems overwhelmingly likely to me that they would choose the Descent/Terrinoth setting for it. I don't think GW would sue them if they kept the card backs from WHQACG, but I expect they'd go with something completely new anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marlowc wrote:
I don't think GW would sue them if they kept the card backs from WHQACG, but I expect they'd go with something completely new anyway.

I am pretty certain they would sue. This is the same company that shut's down fan made websites that support their games. FFG has no choice but to prevent the possibility of any litigation, no matter how stupid or frivolous it sounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas De Wolf
Belgium
Gent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
I am the Black Wizards
badge
My hammer listened to Amon Amarth and became Mjölnir
mbmbmbmbmb
Mithrandir82 wrote:
matthewabair wrote:

On the other hand I would not mind at all mixing my Warhammer heroes with a daqan (alias Bretonnian) knight fighting together terrinoth undead or demons.

My main concern is that Warhammer quest would remain somehow "incomplete" but I think terrinoth universe is enough "generic" (unread and daemons in particular) to create a new adventure card game compatible with WQACG.

But, after WQACG delusion, I will be extremely careful before putting again my cent (and trust) on FFG.

I agree that the Terrinoth universe is way too generic. Maybe a retheme in the Lotr universe would be interesting. Like exploring dungeons in Angmar or something. There's also some good new FFG created character art and lore to be used from the lotr lcg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samanar
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earthdawn RPG (by FASA corp) is the perfect candidate for a re-theme. It's dark, it's full of Horrors and its landscape is littered with Kaers, which are underground fortified villages where (think - Vaults from Fallout) people tried to hide from the Scourge (demon infestation due to the magic level rising in the world).

Absolutely love the RPG system and world behind it. It's a real bummer that it's not very popular nowadays. Most people recognize Shadowrun though which is kind of spin-off to Earthdawn - more like Earthdawn in the future according to lore.

Re-theme of Warhammer in this world would be absolutely fantastic, players would be magic Adepts of Disciplines (classes) advancing through circles (levels) as Air Sailor, Beastmaster, Cavalryman, Elementalist, Nethermancer, Illusionist, Sky Raider, Sword Master, Thief and many others.

Please note this comes from a total Warhammer addict(RPG system/lore) and I find Earthdawn very similar in terms of overall theme and feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar T
msg tools
Does Fantasy Flight ever do their own IPs? I mean, could you reskin the game and simply call it "DUNGEON DELVES!" or something very generic? I think it's obvious that this game sold (at least originally) 90% based on its name, etc.

The game would be just as good if it was a generic dungeon crawler, but I wonder how it would hurt sales without a big name/IP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TurnStyle wrote:
Does Fantasy Flight ever do their own IPs? I mean, could you reskin the game and simply call it "DUNGEON DELVES!" or something very generic? I think it's obvious that this game sold (at least originally) 90% based on its name, etc.

The game would be just as good if it was a generic dungeon crawler, but I wonder how it would hurt sales without a big name/IP.

This is true, like many JCE games. But now that the game lived and died, the core mechanic itself has become well known to the public. Maybe that would be enough to to make a retheme economically viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TurnStyle wrote:

Yeah, I've got the Fireborn books around here somewhere. They don't do a lot of their own IPs. Most of their stuff is licensed or public domain, but they do have their own settings.

Honestly, a Fireborn ACG would be pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kakuuuu wrote:
TurnStyle wrote:

This is true, like many JCE games. But now that the game lived and died, the core mechanic itself has become well known to the public. Maybe that would be enough to to make a retheme economically viable.

They have RuneWars: Miniatures Game coming in the beginning part of this year, which should increase interest in Terrinoth. Add to that the rumor of a Terrinoth source book coming out in the future, and it seems likely they would want to capitalize on the popularity of the Terrinoth realm. Giving this game a re-skin seems like an ideal way to do that. Furthermore, Rune Age has been pulled from their products page, meaning they currently do not have a card-based game set in the Runebound (Terrinoth) universe. It seems like a rebranding of this game is a no-brainer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar T
msg tools
While I'd like to see a re-skin, I don't think we'd lose anything by it not being compatible with the original game. Let them start over and expand on the new game with proper expansions.

While WHQ is good, the contents of the starter box are pretty minimal, so I don't feel like losing out on them would hinder a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.