Hide
6 Posts

Food Chain Magnate» Forums » Variants

Subject: Restaurant Placement and Distance Calculations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TR W
msg tools
It is possible to place a restaurant such that its entrance (sometimes its only entrance) is on another tile.

When calculating distance the rules say:

Quote:
To determine the distance, determine the range from the house to the closest restaurant of each of the chains. You must follow the road and end up at an entrance of the restaurant. Each tile border you cross counts as one step.

In line with this seems accepted that in order to get to the entrance of our restaurant you have to cross a tile border (see here). So if the only entrance of our restaurant is on another tile it will always be 1 distance away from any house. Indeed, to get to a house on the same tile as the restaurant the distance will always be at least 2.

Thematically, this is slightly odd. Driving to exactly the same spot on a road would be a different delivery distance depending on which side of the road you are on.

So I have played games where everybody has agreed that restaurant entrances are considered to be on the road tile (i.e. there is no extra distance crossing a tile border just to get to a restaurant entrance).

The only issue that I can see this causing is in respect of initial restaurant placement, due to the rule that:

Quote:
Restaurants may not be placed in such a way that their entrance is on the same tile as the entrance of an existing restaurant.

This means that a player could block two tiles at setup with one restaurant placement, so another tweak is probably required to prohibit players from placing a restaurant at setup that does this.

My questions are:

1. Do you see any other issues with making such the tweaks above?
2. Can you see any thematic reason (within the wonderfully odd world of FCM) to explain the generally accepted rules without such tweaks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Rules to Variants as it proposing a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wilhm
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Insert clever phrase here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vonron wrote:

This means that a player could block two tiles at setup with one restaurant placement, so another tweak is probably required to prohibit players from placing a restaurant at setup that does this.

You can't block two land tiles with initial placement. The land tile that has your entry corner is the one that other people can't play in. If the neighboring tile has the back end of your starting restaurant, other players can also play on that tile.

Otherwise, this is something you have to factor into your initial placement decision. If one side of your entrance is up against the edge of a land tile, then customers will have to cross that border to get to your restaurant, adding one to the travel distance.

With each land tile a 5x5 grid, you could count the squares instead of land tiles, but that would probably add a LOT of time to the dinner phase to add up the fewest number of squares to get to each house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vonron wrote:

My questions are:

1. Do you see any other issues with making such the tweaks above?
2. Can you see any thematic reason (within the wonderfully odd world of FCM) to explain the generally accepted rules without such tweaks?

1. You reduce the already slim reasons to pick the Local and Regional Managers

2. I've always seen this situation as these are high traffic streets (both vehicular and pedestrian) and turning off of them, even to the parking lot of a restaurant, onto another tile could be treacherous

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vonron wrote:

In line with this seems accepted that in order to get to the entrance of our restaurant you have to cross a tile border (see here)

The best part about this game is that all players are in the same boat here.

Also, having the blanket rule (without exceptions) of crossing borders counts as counting makes the calculation more straightforward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TR W
msg tools
Thanks for all the responses. Having played yet more games of FCM I agree that sticking to the base rules on this one makes for a more straightforward game, and in the context of an already complex game that's a big plus.

A special thank you for DeathInc's suggestion, which I really like as an explanation. Having this kind of back story helps with the rules explanations and with the picture of the mad FCM world!

DeathInc wrote:
2. I've always seen this situation as these are high traffic streets (both vehicular and pedestrian) and turning off of them, even to the parking lot of a restaurant, onto another tile could be treacherous

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.