11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a good Family weight euro. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Ausemus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a good Family Euro. We have some of the basics. Castles of burgundy,stone age, Lords of Waterdeep. My wife has really begun to really enjoy the Euro mechanics. To my total surprise.Been thinking about Sealand and Agricola and maybe Porta Rico. Not sure any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
silversage5150 wrote:
I am looking for a good Family Euro. We have some of the basics. Castles of burgundy,stone age, Lords of Waterdeep. My wife has really begun to really enjoy the Euro mechanics. To my total surprise.Been thinking about Sealand and Agricola and maybe Porta Rico. Not sure any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you

I'm not sure what you mean by "Family Euro" except that you play it with your wife.

Agricola is an awesome game but it's rated heavier the games you mentioned.
I've become a big fan of Concordia which is easy to learn but contains a decent amount of depth.
La Granja is a good Euro, roughly Castles of Burgundy level of complexity.
If you care about theme, only Agricola has a theme worth mentioning.

A nice thematic Euro is Viticulture Essential Edition. You make wine! The game even has cool little wine bottles. Even better, it's a decent worker placement game. I like it better than Stone Age (but not as much as Agricola; but it's simpler than Agricola).

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I play all of these with my wife. Her favorite is Agricola but she likes them all, especially Concordia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
silversage5150 wrote:

Is it JUST you and your wife, or if not, what's the player range? Age range? That would make a difference.
Also, any particular themes you guys are into?

Lacking that other info, my initial recs would be:

Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers
Rattus
Maharaja: The Game of Palace Building in India
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small with both expansions (if it's just the 2 of you)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausemus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silversage5150 wrote:

Sorry forgot to say I still have two teenage sons at home

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
silversage5150 wrote:
silversage5150 wrote:

Sorry forgot to say I still have two teenage sons at home

In that case, for 2-4 players, I'd scratch Agricola All Creatures, but the others I'd still recommend.

Additionally:
-Citadels (2016 edition)/Citadels (if you don't mind a little "take-that" nastiness devil)
-Nefertiti (great auction game)
-Ra (another great auction game)
-Notre Dame
-Village
-7 Wonders
-London
-Small World
-Carson City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Def Ra, love it!

Also,

Rococo
Grand Austria hotel
Concordia
Glen more - harder to find but so good
Kraftwagen - glen more alternative
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Perez
United States
Meriden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot recommend The Pursuit of Happiness more highly for a family friendly euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
7 Wonders
Dominion
Pandemic
Ra
Small World
Samurai
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
Ticket to Ride: Märklin
Saint Petersburg
San Juan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul

Fresco

The Voyages of Marco Polo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Broom Service
Splendor
Puerto Rico
Keyflower

Harder to find
The Palaces of Carrara
Keltis
Finca
Citrus

+1 Village
+1 Glen more

As a dark horse I will add Spyrium there is a lot of game in a small box, there are a few fiddly rules, but for the most part very intuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am a big fan of Concordia. La Granja is also a great Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.