Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert B
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just starting out with the 2P game and it seems to me that one of the key decisions that has to be made is: How many Combat Tactic Cards should I play on an attack?

I could be stingy and save the cards for more activations and battles, or I could play everything possible to maximize my chances, but have fewer battles.

Advice? Rules of Thumb?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
The more steps you need to dislodge, the more tactics you may need.
However, the more you draw the more variable things get.
As a rule of thumb, I bypass units in heavy forest because it's too much of a gamble.

My priority as German is to try to conserve Assault coordination cards a much as possible. Reinforce Battle is good, especially early turns.
Engineers can be enormously helpful.
The rest are a crapshoot.

Review the combat chits and which side of the chit has the Priority. You will find that many aren't worth using because there are so few of them in the mix, and your allied opponent gets the advantage more than the player. Defender/attacker artillery is the chief example.

There are 6 chits total. 4 have attacker artillery priority 2 have defender priority. So on attack, 1/3 of the time, IF THE CHIT EVEN COMES UP, and the ally has it, you wasted a tactic (except for the extra attack chit draw a tactic enables, which can be critical). Take the air power chits. The ally can't even use airpower until turn 21 so for 4 turns that chit does nothing (either side/priority) but screw up attacks with a wasted draw. The ally can't attack in that period so it just screws the player (and after turn 21 it starts to really suck).

Now factor in how often you remix chits and combat is totally unpredictable and wildly inconsistent. So much so that I house rule a few things in the chit mix so that I don't hate my relationship to the combat style of this game (certain chits can only appear once a day, and I don't remix chits until 2 blue chits are drawn. That gives me a bit of a n ability to know what has been pulled and what hasn't.

There are very few one-year attack penalty chits, for example, so infiltration can be worthless if you've already seen 2 of the 3 chits drawn this turn without being remixed.

Hope that helps.

Another problem are the do-nothing chits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Drawing seven chits for large benefit is valuable, even if the combat tactic used to reach the total isn't great on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.