Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Zephro
United States
Aptos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I went to pickup the base set and a few expansions today at my local game store and the guy that works there told me the game was horrible because there is one faction that dominates every other faction which breaks the game. Is there any truth to this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and no. There are dominant decks, but I wouldn't say one faction does dominate.

Okay, Dark Eldar did at one point but they don't really anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume this applies pretty much only if you are planning on getting into the competitive scene and netdecking. Given this is soon to be a dead game the meta will soon either grind to a halt or people will have to get more clever. For playing casually with friends until you know what you are doing I don't think it matters much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The game is not horrible, it's quite good. I'm a casual player and I haven't seen anything out of balance.

It's true that there won't be new content for it. It's still a very good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is well balanced between factions. Probably the best balanced of all FFG LCGs.

Check out http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28921-road... and see for yourself.

The game is great and I would highly recommend getting into it (especially if FFG starts dumping inventory in the holiday sale).

Both Tyranid and Necron big box expansions are very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As of Planetfall, these factions are all highly competitive:

- Dark Eldar
- Space Marines
- Astra Militarum
- Eldar
- Chaos
- Necrons? (I'm not sure if this has proven out yet, but that's my feeling)

And these can hold their own in the hands of a skilled player, but have generally less-good cardpools (and, since the game died before the next cycle, only three warlords to most of the other faction's four):

- Orks
- Tau
- Tyranids

The person you talked to was probably remembering Conquest from the core set (and into the Warlord cycle). At that point it was basically the Kith Show (Dark Eldar) with a side of Cato (Space Marines). Eldar was arguably the next tier down, and pretty much everyone else had a really rough time of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Zephro
United States
Aptos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Appreciate all the responses I'll go back tomorrow and get what I wanted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmid wrote:
The game is well balanced between factions. Probably the best balanced of all FFG LCGs.

Check out http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28921-road... and see for yourself.

The game is great and I would highly recommend getting into it (especially if FFG starts dumping inventory in the holiday sale).

Both Tyranid and Necron big box expansions are very good.

Nah, post MWL netrunner is the best of them, and even Agot is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Every warlord won a Store Champ this year for Conquest. So at the small tournament level Conquest is really balanced. It's not until you get to large tournaments where some strategies are just too exhausting to play over many rounds and they seem to fall off. Kith and Worr are exceptionally easy to pilot. By comparison Zarathur, TC and Aun'Shi are total brain burners and take quite a bit of endurance to play for many rounds. Also some warlords favor an elite meta we are experiencing now in the Deathworld cycle versus the swarm meta we were in during the Planetfall cycle. Urien (usually agreed on as the worst warlord in the game) for example is doing much better now that Power From Pain has seen a huge rise in value. He's also the DE most likely to go down an elite path since Morn and Kith sort of rely on swarm tactics by their nature. So as a Conquest player since the beginning I can confidently say that that guy in the game store didn't know what he was talking about.

I disagree with Toenail. The comparison is not as objective as he states. I'd argue Conquest is still by FAR the most skill intensive game FFG currently produces, and good play seems to trump luck almost always (unless you built a busted deck). I play all three games he mentioned.

Add: I'd also like to bring up Conquest still doesn't have anything like a MWL or even any substantial errata. If you judge the games just by the text written on the cards then Netrunner (while one of my favorite games of all time) easily pushed you into just a handful of really powerful builds. The MWL and errata do fix the game, but we got to be fair here. Conquest hasn't had the same treatment and there is a strong argument I believe to support that it doesn't need it. Maybe you could punish people for playing Kith, but Kith is not unbeatable. She's just really consistent and relatively easy to build for and play. Therefore good players gravitate to her when the big tournaments come around. Worr (the other warlord people like to complain about) was almost universally heralded as OP when he came around and he's not nearly doing as good now in the current card pool. He's good, but by no means broken and there are many hard counters to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.