Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Wilson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So do you battle when you enter a space with another ship anywhere during your movement, or when you end your full movement allotment on your turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mahoney
United States
Lihue
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
markwilsonsd wrote:
So do you battle when you enter a space with another ship anywhere during your movement, or when you end your full movement allotment on your turn?

After the full allotment. Remember, though, that if you're playing a card with two movement actions, you'll have two full-movement stops that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Randi
Italy
Lecco
Lombardia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe a battle can also take place while you have to go back some spaces, because you don't have enough food/gold to afford a position.
After the battle you can keep moving backwards if necessary, so that's the other case when you need to battle even if you're not ending your turn there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Yates
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
_Randi_ wrote:
I believe a battle can also take place while you have to go back some spaces, because you don't have enough food/gold to afford a position.
After the battle you can keep moving backwards if necessary, so that's the other case when you need to battle even if you're not ending your turn there.

No, you only battle after you complete your movement action, before you pay the cost of the space. Moving back when you can't afford a space does not trigger a battle. Oops, always had that one wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfglbkf wrote:
_Randi_ wrote:

No, you only battle after you complete your movement action, before you pay the cost of the space. Moving back when you can't afford a space does not trigger a battle.

From the rules:
http://www.gameworks.ch/2010/pdf/jamaica_rules.pdf
Quote:
When moving backwards as the result of a Shortage, if the first space that can be paid for is already occupied then there is a battle first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Yates
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:

From the rules:
Quote:
When moving backwards as the result of a Shortage, if the first space that can be paid for is already occupied then there is a battle first.

You're right, I just found this myself after reading some other threads. I remember the instructions specifically saying otherwise but I guess I read it wrong.

I just played this for the first time in a while yesterday and came here to read up and learned something I always had wrong. I also realized I forgot you could give away cursed treasures after winning a battle. If I would have remembered I may have sought out combat because I was stuck with two cursed treasures. Battles weren't going well for me anyway though, and even though I finished 2 spaces from Port Royal, I had only 5 points due to curses and losing all of my gold to others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfglbkf wrote:
steckman wrote:

From the rules:
Quote:

You're right, I just found this myself after reading some other threads. I remember the instructions specifically saying otherwise but I guess I read it wrong.

I just played this for the first time in a while yesterday and came here to read up and learned something I always had wrong. I also realized I forgot you could give away cursed treasures after winning a battle. If I would have remembered I may have sought out combat because I was stuck with two cursed treasures. Battles weren't going well for me anyway though, and even though I finished 2 spaces from Port Royal, I had only 5 points due to curses and losing all of my gold to others.

My god... this is such a fundamental rule and so hard to see in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.