Scarney Dice» Forums » General

Subject: General information about Scarney Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Parsons
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of months ago, I was contacted by a site Admin who was doing some work in improving the BGG entry for this game. I was pleased to be able to provide him with some details, but to date I don't think the entry here has been amended. Most likely he is working on a whole bunch of games, and will perhaps update all at once, but I didn't want the data I'd gleaned to get lost, so I would like to post it here, at least temporarily until the main page is updated, and then this thread can happily be deleted. I hope I am not treading on anyone's toes by posting this -

SCARNEY DICE

Name
Inventor John Scarne's surname was pronounced as two syllables, hence the name of the game.

Box Dimensions
The box measures 15½ x 9 x 2½ inches (394 x 229 x 64 mm).
A set of Scarney Dice in its packaging weighs 884g (31.2 oz).

Box Contents
This is rather a large box for what is essentially just five dice. Inside the box is a large gold coloured cardboard insert, carrying two books and a tray with the rest of the contents:

1. Book - "Scarney Dice: with complete official rules for 40 new kinds of dice games" by John Scarne: world's foremost game authority. (See details below).

2. Book - "Official Scarney Dice Score Pad" by John Scarne: world's foremost game authority. (See details below).

3. Large cardboard dice shaker, with metal rims and leather-effect finish.

4. Clear plastic box with lid inscribed in gold 'SCARENEY DICE ~ CHIPS and DICE HOLDER', and containing the remaining items (numbers 5 & 6 below).

5. Five Scarney Dice. They're the same as normal d6s, except that the '2' & '5' are both replaced by the word 'DEAD'. They are 15mm plastic cubes, in a colour I'd describe as 'aged ivory'.

6. 125 plastic chips (43 red, 32 blue, 28 white, 22 yellow): they are 21mm in diameter and with a raised, ridged outer band to aid stacking. The rule book states their values as 1, 10, 5 & 25 points respectively).

The Rule Book
This is presented in the English language only. The rule book is spiral bound, 146x191mm, and consists of 86 pages (+ inner & outer front & back covers), containing the following chapters (names of games listed in CAPITALS):
1. A new era in dice games
2. SCARNEY DICE
3. PARTNERSHIP SCARNEY DICE
4. STRAIGHT SCARNEY DICE
5. SCARNEY DICE FOR CHILDREN
6. SCARNEY DEAD DICE
7. SCARNEY 63 AND OUT
8. STRAIGHT SCARNEY 63 AND OUT
9. SCARNEY ROTATION DICE
10. SCARNEY 21 UP AND DOWN
11. SCARNEY STRAIGHT 21 UP AND DOWN
12. SCARNEY TWO DICE CRAPS
13. SCARNEY TRIPLE ACTION DICE GAME
14. SCARNEY LIAR DICE
15. SCARNEY PARTNERSHIP LIAR DICE
16. STRAIGHT SCARNEY LIAR DICE
17. SCARNEY ALL FIVES
18. SCARNEY SHOOTER'S CHOICE
19. SCARNEY ELIMINATION DICE
20. SCARNEY TEEKO DICE
21. SCARNEY ELIMINATION DICE
22. SCARNEY CANCELLATION DICE
23. SCARENEY PIE-EYED DICE
24. SCARNEY DUPLICATE JACKPOTS
25. SCARNEY BACCARAT—CHEMIN DE FER
26. SCARNEY POKER DICE
27. SCARNEY SOLITAIRE POKER DICE
28. SCARNEY PUT AND TAKE DICE
29. SCARNEY BANKER'S CRAPS
30. SCARNEY BARBOUTH
31. SCARNEY FIFTEENS
32. STRAIGHT SCARNEY FIFTEENS
33. SCARNEY BEAT THE BANKER
34. SCARNEY HIGH-LOW DICE
35. SCARNEY ODDS OR EVENS DICE
36. SCARNEY EL COMANDANTE RACE GAME
37. SCARNEY BASEBALL DICE
38. SCARNEY 14½ DICE
39. SCARNEY SINGLE DIE GAME
40. SCARNEY BLACK JACK
41. SCARNEY BINGO DICE
42. SCARNEY SPEEDY BINGO DICE
43. Additional rules for all 40 Scarney Dice games [these are not variants, just general rules about disputed / questionable throws].

Whether each of the above 40 games deserves its own BGG entry I will leave to the site moderators' discretion! The game described in chapter 20 is unrelated to the same designer's board game, Teeko, except that it is named after his son John Teeko Scarne, who was of course named after the board game!

Chapter 1 (which is preceded by a Dedication), is credited to the boxer James J Braddock, and is subtitled 'The Scarney Dice Game Set'. It goes on to describe Mr Scarne and his games in glowing terms that those familiar with this designer will recognise.

Chapters 13, 15, 20, 21, and 23 each include a note describing a minor, unnamed variant.

At the back of the book (which is also priced at US5, presumably for sale separately) are ads for other Scarne games - the Scarney Game Set (25 games can be played on its board), Teeko (the board game), Follow The Arrow, and Skarney (modestly described as America's greatest card game). The back cover bears a picture of Mr Scarne and his dice, and some 'blurb' about the game, which is 'without a doubt the greatest contribution to dice playing since the invention of dice back in the prehistoric Neanderthal days'.

Score Pad
The other book is the same size, but is tape-bound across the top, like a notepad, with a thick card back, so that the sheets can easily be detached. There is an author's note on the inside front cover, and the rest of the book consists solely of 30 identical sheets, each printed with a scorecard for Scarney Dice on one side, and Scarney Poker Dice on the other. Like the Rule Book, it is written entirely in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.