Subject: Star Wars Dominion Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Vanden Bosch
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hi guys!

I have created a Dominion Star Wars Expansion using google drawings based on the galactic era of Star Wars. It indroduces a few new game elements including light side and dark side tokens. Some cards will give you dark side tokens which you can use to do powerful things, while other cards will give you light side tokens. Light side tokens can be used to do some less powerful things, but they also count as 1 victory point for every light side token over the amount of dark side tokens you have at the end of the game. There are quite a few new classes also, including empire cards, rebel cards, and force user cards. There are 32 cards in this expansion, including 2 reactions, 2 treasures, a duration, and a victory. I have playtested all of the cards and changed them accordngly, but if you feel that any of them should be changed, please tell me. I have uploaded the file with all of the cards to the Dominion page's file section. I hope you like my expansion and have fun playing Dominion Star Wars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral
Andorra
Argentona, Barcelona
flag msg tools
Can you give us the link of the file or the link of the page of the file?
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Vanden Bosch
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Yeah! Sorry I couldn't post it earlier because they were reviewing the file. Here it is: [geekurl=https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136990/cards-fan-made-star-wars-dominion-expansion]Dominion Star Wars Cards[/geekurl]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Initial thoughts are that there is a lot of unclear wording, targeted attacks and a couple of cards that are completely unworkable. But I'm sure someone will provide some more in-depth analysis.

I like the light side/dark side token idea, though. And, hey, it's Star Wars, so it can't be all bad. At least you didn't put Jar Jar Binks in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Vanden Bosch
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Could you please give some examples of cards that don't work? Also, keep in mind that this is supposed to be an independent expansion, that is, it only works if you play with cards from the Star Wars expansion.

Thanks for checking it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion has quite specific wording to avoid ambiguities. Let's take a few of your cards as an example.

Emperor Palpatine would need to be changed this way :
Quote:
+2 (Empire)
+1 (Coin) for every Empire card in your hand or in play.
You may use 5 [Empire] to make one card cost 2 less this turn.

Quote:
+2 (Empire)
You may spend 5 (Empire). If you do, choose a pile. Cards from this pile cost 2 less until the end of the turn.

To avoid questions about "how" Rebel markers are spent, Luke would become :
Quote:
+1 card
+1 buy
+1 (Rebel)
Discard any number of (Rebel). Get +1 Coin for each (Rebel) discarded this way.

Rebel Soldiers and Stormtroopers are an issue; There is no "good faith" in Dominion, e.g. negative effects that happen when you have something in hand always ask you to reveal your hand to prove you don't have it. Here, you'd need to play with open hands to ensure you never have both a Rebel Soldier and a Stormtrooper at the same time.

You'd need the effect to happen at a fixed time; for example, Stormtroopers could read "When you play this, reveal your hand. Discard any Rebel Soldier cards".

The fact that these cards directly reference each other is also something you'd want to avoid, since that effect is pointless most of the time (when both aren't in play together). You may change it to "Rebel cards" to have a broader effect and ensure the effect actually does something in most games.

You should definitely read https://dominionstrategy.com/2012/01/06/a-dominion-fan-card-..., It's really insightful for designing well-worded and efficient cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:

You may spend 5 (Empire). If you do, choose a pile. Cards from this pile cost 2 less until the end of the turn.

To avoid questions about "how" Rebel markers are spent, Luke would become :
Quote:
+1 card
+1 buy
+1 (rebel)
Spend any number of (Rebel). Get +1 Coin for each (Rebel) spent this way.

Given that only coins can be spent, I would suggest you need to 'discard' or 'return' rather than 'spend' these tokens.

I can see why you'd want it to be a standalone expansion, but I'm also willing to bet that it will get tired real fast if you prohibit mixing and matching with the rest of the Dominion canon.

A big concern is that there are more +Actions on Rebel cards. This means I'm far more likely to want a lot of Rebel cards than Empire to build an engine and therefore casts some big doubts over those cards that target a specific faction. If you can prove to me that it's balanced, I'll be impressed.

Let's look at some more examples:

Obi-Wan - Potentially massively overpowered. Pay 3VP to start trashing my neighbours power cards? Compare to Possession which is a much higher cost and does not allow you to trash any cards from your opponent's hand.

Han Solo - Targeted attack. Really not a good idea. One of the founding principles of how not to design Dominion cards.

Tie Fighter - As above, only worse

Millenium Falcon - I kinda like this idea because it discourages your opponent from deck-thinning. Perhaps the cleverest card in this set.

X-Wing - Way too powerful for a Reaction card.

AT-AT - This could result in one player getting damaged very badly through no fault of their own. See above comment about the Rebel/Empire balance

Star Destroyer - This is pretty weak for a 5-cost card. You'd have to get 12 Empire cards in play just to get a Gold off it.

R2D2 - what if there is no Rebel card costing 4 or less in the Kingdom?

BB8 - are you kidding me? Do you know anything about engine-building?

Lando - I would never buy this

Kylo Ren - This chains really badly and encourages a one-dimensional strategy (ie. everyone buys Kylo Ren because they're too scared of getting behind)

Lightsaber - Reaction ability is way too strong

Imperial Domain - See balance comments

Chewbacca - I see what you're getting at, but it needs rewording, and probably a price increase

Imperial Resources - Why is this worth 7 when it is virtually the same as Band Of Misfits? Yes, it can be Silver, too, but that's not exactly going to get me excited.

Couple of nice cards, though. As well as the Falcon, I like C3PO and Rey. And the token idea has real potential if implemented properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
+2 (Empire)

My take, reading the original would be like this:
Quote:
+2 (Empire)
You may reveal your hand. +1 (Coin) for every Empire card in your hand or in play.
You may spend 5 (Empire). If you do, the next card you buy costs 2 (Coin) less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Given that only coins can be spent, I would suggest you need to 'discard' rather than spend these tokens.

You're right, of course. Edited in the original post.
Whizkid wrote:

In that case, there is is almost no difference with a simple "+2 Coin" (would only be different if you're buying a 0-cost or 1-cost card as your first buy). I've considered that, and opted for the other interpretation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Vanden Bosch
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions. I will try to implement them as soon as possible, but I am quite busy with school right now so it might take me awhile. This is my first attempt at making a dominion expansion, so thanks for all the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
Whizkid wrote:

In that case, there is is almost no difference with a simple "+2 Coin" (would only be different if you're buying a 0-cost or 1-cost card as your first buy). I've considered that, and opted for the other interpretation
Of course, you're correct in this set, and for most of Dominion, but if it were mixed with other expansions, a one-card discount would be different than 2 Coins to spend if you played a Fortune. So you're correct again with "almost no difference."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.