Subject: Modifying the Treasure Decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so with the green and blue treasure cards plus the community pack I have about 201 cards in both decks, 119 green and 82 blue. That presents 2 problems. First it's hard to shuffle. Second, it makes it pretty difficult for the characters to get something actually meant for them.

So the question is what to do. First we could do nothing. Second we could customize the deck before every game. Third we could draw multiple cards to try to get what we want.

I am thinking that customizing the deck might be a decent idea. Divided (roughly) by cards that seem suited for a given archetype:

Apprentice: 15 green, 7 blue
Acolyte: 14 green, 13 blue
Skald: 4 green, 5 blue
Archer: 11 green, 9 blue
Soldier: 25 green, 19 blue
Hunter: 7 green, 6 blue
Brigand: 6 green, 7 blue
Trickster: 4 green, 7 blue
Useful for most classes: 34 green, 9 blue

What if we took 6 green and 6 blue (or as close as we can come) plus 10 universal green and 10 universal blue at random and made a deck. We'd end up with about 120 cards. Or we could go down to 5/5/8/8 and get about 96 cards. And that's if we were playing with ALL classes.

If we ONLY shuffled in the classes we were interested in, that would be considerably less cards. 4 characters would be something like 68 cards.

Does this sound like a good idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think it will make your game more enjoyable than I think it is a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
It's common for me to tune the quest and item decks in order to curate a particular experience, especially if I'm trying to teach new players. I first pull out items that are primarily only useful to classes that aren't being played, by sorting the treasure deck items by the class-identifying symbols. After that, I make choices about pruning dependent upon who is going to play and what we're trying to accomplish, and the challenge level expected.

It's fairly time-consuming, though I've gotten enough positive feedback that I consider it to be worth the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.