Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's disappointing that we haven't hit $500k. CW racked in $1500k, onslaught 2 $1000k. It seems the needle has barely moved since last week. I've no idea whether this is in line with Petersen Games' expectations (nor am I asking them to comment on this), but I'm guessing

1) people are kickstartered and/or miniatured out
2) Glorantha = not nearly as mainstream a theme as Cthulhu.

Mostly #2 tho.

FWIW, kicktracker expects the campaign will finish at $575k.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally, as someone who backed both Cthulhu Wars Kickstarters, I can say that the thing that sets Petersen Games apart (the miniatures), is also their biggest drawback.

I'd love to back Gods War, but it's just too expensive for me after all the money I've put into Cthulhu Wars (and the money I plan to put into their future Apocalypse themed game). I know that PG makes their gigantic dream games and won't compromise on that, and I don't fault them for it. I think they realize that these huge games will necessarily have a more limited audience.

So it's a mix of both points for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's #1. If I hadn't bought Cthulhu Wars I might have bought this instead but at the price of these games, and the amount I can play them, I can't justify owning both. I just have too many games in my collection and not enough time to play them. I knew when I bought Cthulhu Wars it was going to be a luxury piece and I don't regret buying it but I shouldn't have pledged for the full package like I did. It takes up a ton of room in my house and has barely been touched. Sure the large mini-thing was neat the first time they did it, but I just don't want more of these at my house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'm wishing there was an option to buy the print and play for this game.

1) I'm out of room in my house for games.

2) I'm not sure how much this will get played - maybe too challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
It's disappointing that we haven't hit $500k. CW racked in $1500k, onslaught 2 $1000k. It seems the needle has barely moved since last week. I've no idea whether this is in line with Petersen Games' expectations (nor am I asking them to comment on this), but I'm guessing

1) people are kickstartered and/or miniatured out
2) Glorantha = not nearly as mainstream a theme as Cthulhu.

Mostly #2 tho.

FWIW, kicktracker expects the campaign will finish at $575k.

I think it's basically just 2. Glorantha just doesn't have the same market appeal as Cthulhu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From what I've seen it's people who are interested already have CW, and they don't feel the need to have two "big" games. Or they feel the two games are too similar (which I don't believe is true).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
I think it's basically just 2. Glorantha just doesn't have the same market appeal as Cthulhu.

I've had the opposite be true in the 5 gaming circles I game within. I run into players who wont play Cthulhu Wars and give their reason as not liking Cthulhu games. They claim they will give The Gods War a try because they like fantasy settings (some quite a lot).

What I do think we see happen is among the people who bought Cthulhu Wars and like Cthulhu settings not all like fantasy setting which is inherently a smaller number of fantasy vs Cthulhu followers. But once the game is done and out there I suspect we'll see its popularity increase. I also have players who didn't like the lack of diplomatic options in Cthulhu Wars (with all its clean surgical striking) but are excited to see the more diplomatic options many of the gifts provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wtrollkin2000 wrote:
Shader10 wrote:

I've had the opposite be true in the 5 gaming circles I game within. I run into players who wont play Cthulhu Wars and give their reason as not liking Cthulhu games. They claim they will give The Gods War a try because they like fantasy settings (some quite a lot).

What I do think we see happen is among the people who bought Cthulhu Wars and like Cthulhu settings not all like fantasy setting which is inherently a smaller number of fantasy vs Cthulhu followers. But once the game is done and out there I suspect we'll see its popularity increase. I also have players who didn't like the lack of diplomatic options in Cthulhu Wars (with all its clean surgical striking) but are excited to see the more diplomatic options many of the gifts provide.

Well, I actively avoid Cthulhu games too, but there are about 15 billion of them in the market and many of them do quite fine. So Cthulhu has appeal and presence. Glorantha hasn't had any presence on the board game market in 35 years, and is not the most accessible fantasy setting either. (and 125 / 450 dollars is a lot of money to throw into a game if you don't have some sort of previous interest on the matter).

I do wonder how the campaign would have done if there'd been couple of cheaper Glorantha games on the market for a while before launching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll chime in.

It looks like a good game, a very good game, but....

1) I backed CW all the way, and this one looks too similar (they're not different, I know, but not different enough for -me-).
2) I couldn't care less about Glorantha. Sorry, but I can think of half-a-dozen other fantasy settings more interesting to me, made by TSR alone. If Cthulhu is overdone for some people, fantasy is overdone for me.
3) The minis range from incredible to generic fantasy to outright bad.
4) $450 is a -lot- of money. You get a lot of stuff to be sure, but on top of the other three reasons, I just can't get into this one.

If I didn't have CW already, I liked Glorantha (and I admit that may be a mistake on my part), and I could look past the minis I don't like, I'd be all over this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
wtrollkin2000 wrote:
Shader10 wrote:

Well, I actively avoid Cthulhu games too, but there are about 15 billion of them in the market and many of them do quite fine. So Cthulhu has appeal and presence. Glorantha hasn't had any presence on the board game market in 35 years, and is not the most accessible fantasy setting either. (and 125 / 450 dollars is a lot of money to throw into a game if you don't have some sort of previous interest on the matter).

I do wonder how the campaign would have done if there'd been couple of cheaper Glorantha games on the market for a while before launching.

I don't think its Cthulhu vs Glorantha. I think its Monster Horror vs Mythic Fantasy. Of those who wouldn't play Cthulhu but want to play The Gods War that the fantasy setting is Glorantha has no bearing to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was never into Cthulhu, but I bought and love Cthulhu Wars. I'm also backing Glorantha base on the gameplay in Cthulhu Wars - not that it's the same, it's because it's different but also very asymmetrical. Sandy et al did an incredible job with CW, so I expect the same with Glorantha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Pulles
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the Kickstarter is worth it. The shippingcosts are huge.

What will be the costs at Retail?
What is the difference between the Retail and Kickstarter version (nothing)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't expect to see any of the expansions in retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zodiak wrote:

There's no gameplay content gated. But the because the game is so massive(ly overproduced piece of luxury), chances of it being available in retail are rather small to begin with, and doubly so for the expansions. So the kickstarter is the only guaranteed access available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
zodiak wrote:

Expansions won't be available retail for a long while, if at all. For reference, the Cthulhu Wars expansions (which first came out ~2014) aren't expected to start hitting retail 'til late next year, and even then, it'll be a limited run.

Arachne and the transparent Orlanth, even less chance.

The price is unlikely to be that different. Retailers have to pay the shipping costs too, after all. As it stands, due to the deluxe nature of the game, print runs will be small and limited in retail anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbeall88 wrote:
Don't expect to see any of the expansions in retail.

A big +1 !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy mentioned in his AMA that he never expected Glorantha to reach the heights of the CW Kickstarter. Of course one hopes but he did not expect it to. Of course, the pledge manager may change all of this with late pledges and such. I'm down for both games myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Michel
Germany
Augsburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think this game seems too similar to CW plus it's too expensive. 450$ + 90$ in europe.. this is a lot of money for plastic and cardboard. And 550$ extra for 20 some resin figures.. c'mon.. totally insane.

And this campaign feels a little bit strange... Looks like we have to pledge to complete the game.. In other campaigns the stretch goals add just optional content not content that is needed to play the game. For example the moon faction.. this game has a map for 8 players and without the moon faction just 7 factions.. And the base game is a 3-5 players game... with just 4 factions in the base game.. seems incomplete...

CW was a good game with nice figures. But at the end of the day it was not good enough to justify the big price tag. And Glorantha isn't that appealing as Cthulhu.

I think there are better games on the market and on KS for a much lower price. And it't can't be just for the minis to demand this much money. Look at LOAD.. more minis, better design and nearly 200$ less...

I expect some drop their 1000 and 450 pledge at the last moment. Sad for this game, cause it looks good and funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the kickstarter campaign is successful, with half a million dollars reached.

That it's reaching the numbers as CW Onlsaught 2 is not too surprising I think.

- Cthulhu is more known than Glorantha
- Onslaught 2 backers haven't had a chance yet to play with their expansions. I think if Glorantha would have started a couple of months after CW Onlsaught 2 would have been delivered, more CW Onslaught 2 backers would have backed this too. Like this, a lot of CW Onslaught 2 backers think "it looks interesting, but I still got a lot of minis and CW stuff coming".
- Despite the differences, it makes the impression of being quite similar to CW.
- There were very good reviews for CW out during the last CW campaign, but there are none for Glorantha. Sure, there are videos of people who liked the game, but that's still quite different compared to a review of somebody people know.
- To me personally, the opening Kickstarter video of Cthulhu Wars Onslaught 2 was more engaging than the video of Glorantha, mostly because of the voice over artist telling you directly more about the game.
- This migth be nitpicking, but I think the wording of the more expensive pledges is not that great. When you read through those pledges the first time, at least that was the case for me, I read "150$ of PDFs? That's nice and can be interesting to read through, but I mostly want the game. Even if I pay just 30$ of the PDFs worth 150$ that's 30$ I might not want to spend". What is missing there, after the list of actual game content you get, is a note such as "You save 85$ compared to adding up the game and expansions invidivually" or whatever, and then a note of the PDF and translucent model. That way people know, without having to calculate the stuff themselves, that even if they wouldn't want the PDFs they'd still save money there if they want all the stuff for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just can't afford to back it at $450 right now. Putting in $125 and will save up to upgrade in the pledge manager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
commander_q3 wrote:
Look at LOAD.. more minis, better design

Errr what? They *literally* copied Rum & Bones. I'll give all of my money to Petersen before I give a cent to those guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
commander_q3 wrote:
Looks like we have to pledge to complete the game.. In other campaigns the stretch goals add just optional content not content that is needed to play the game. For example the moon faction..

All of the stretch goals are optional content. The base game IS a complete game.

Think of Star Wars Imperial Assault or Smash Up or Rum and Bones. You can purchase a perfectly functional base set, but all of them come with additional factions/units to add variety to the game. That's what the Moon Faction and all the Neutral Monsters are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davidryanandersson wrote:
commander_q3 wrote:
Looks like we have to pledge to complete the game.. In other campaigns the stretch goals add just optional content not content that is needed to play the game. For example the moon faction..

All of the stretch goals are optional content. The base game IS a complete game.

Think of Star Wars Imperial Assault or Smash Up or Rum and Bones. You can purchase a perfectly functional base set, but all of them come with additional factions/units to add variety to the game. That's what the Moon Faction and all the Neutral Monsters are.

I agree with that, although I have to say the partitioning of the moon faction didn't help fight the impression - especially since the rest of the Empires box was there from the get-go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
davidryanandersson wrote:
(and the money I plan to put into their future Apocalypse themed game

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
commander_q3 wrote:
And 550$ extra for 20 some resin figures.. c'mon.. totally insane.

Rather than respond to everything in this wonderful thread, I just want to reply to this one thing (above quoted).

Umm, no. Compare literally any similar sized high quality resins of this quantity - this is not an insane price from what I can tell - if anything, it's a great price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.