1 , 2  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Story Card - Every Dog Has His Day (Bounty-Hunting driven) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Over in his "Three Story Cards" thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1634252/three-story-card...), Regnarts has a very nice Bounty Hunting themed card which features accumulating Bounties as an specific Goal to advance the story. I think the card is great... but also thought that it would be interesting to have a card where the accumulation of Bounties is less a means to an end and more the end itself.

I started out with a pretty simple premise - taken pretty much literally from Regnarts's story card: collect Bounties worth at least $12K.

But as I started to think about how a game like this - SOLELY driven by Bounty Hunting, would play out, I decided to make some additional tweaks. It's possible that I may have deviated a little too far from the core mechanics... but if I didn't, we may have some interesting Bounty Hunting house rules, even beyond the story card itself.

Let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johns H
msg tools
I also liked the original story from the other topic, bounty hunting never seems to get much plan in my games. Overall I do like the card a lot, but I have some concerns. First have you considered increasing the number of active bounties? With the standard 3, the crew for them are far too often not available until after players have done some digging. I am not sure I like the idea of the 'Privates Bounties', being able to target another player without them knowing that you can seem too much like a piracy job to me. As for 'Nothing is Easy' since this is part of a goal I like this addition, though later in the game a single misbehave can easily become pretty trivial. I think it might be more interesting if the number of misbehaves needed was equal to the number of completed bounties. From a theming standpoint, the fugitives are beginning to recognize you as a bounty hunter. Finally, 'Fighting Over Bones' is a great optional rule, my first thought it that every turn seems a bit too often, but with the dice roll it could certainly work. Very creative way to introduce an NPC element and add extra risk for players trying to stack up on bounties. One final question, is there an alternative to the Operative's Corvette as the 'finish' line for players who do not have the Kalidasa expansion? The Alliance Cruiser is what I would assume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like fun!

Can bounties still be jumped by rivals, since they are now considered jobs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At a rough count there is around $53,000 worth of Bounties (excluding Zoe and counting each Cortex Alert only once). This lends itself to a maximum of 4 players as otherwise even without any Wanted Crew dying and being removed through various different ways other than bounty hunting, there would not be enough value of bounties to be able to achieve $12,000 per player. Also I used an average calculation, but because bounties are valued differently even 4 players may struggled to each be able to achieve the target.

Of course if the only way to guarantee to be able to get to $12,000 is to also jump other player's bounties that will force PvP interaction and probably early on in the game, so maybe 5+ plus players is a better idea and than 4 or less

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the Harken-assigned Bounty might be a face-down one, which the player doesn't have to reveal until the Apprehension attempt?

What happens if I'm Helmsman-Solid and want to discard an Active Bounty?

Target "of" not "or" for the Showdown.

The Misbehaves will complicate matters a lot, I suspect. But what does it mean if you get a Warrant - is that Job lost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had a feeling that if there was interest in this one, there would also be a lot of questions!

Only have time to answer a few right now, but I'll get to the rest later.

Firedrake wrote:
Perhaps the Harken-assigned Bounty might be a face-down one, which the player doesn't have to reveal until the Apprehension attempt?

That's my intention. By going into your "hand" it's an Inactive, secret job, yes?

Quote:
What happens if I'm Helmsman-Solid and want to discard an Active Bounty?

Good question. Same applies to the Alliance Ident Card. I suppose you'd have to discard the item? This story card may need and FAQ.

Quote:
Target "of" not "or" for the Showdown.

Thanks!

Quote:
The Misbehaves will complicate matters a lot, I suspect. But what does it mean if you get a Warrant - is that Job lost?

Complicate in a good way or bad way - or both? With the game so focused on Bounty Hunting, I felt that it was reasonable to make the activity more complex.

With respect to getting a Warrant from the Misbehave, the way it's phrased, you attempt the Misbehave BEFORE attempting to apprehend or deliver the target, so although it's a complication of the trying to do the job, that complication won't force you to lose the job.

Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
phideaux1 wrote:
Looks like fun!

Okay, this one's quick, too. Yes, you can still bounty jump. They count as Jobs for purposes of how much you can hold, but still follow all other Bounty rules.

I should probably read the Bounty section again to make sure there's not some other nook or cranny I'm neglecting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense, though I'm not sure everything necessary can fit on a scenario card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dalek1 wrote:
At a rough count there is around $53,000 worth of Bounties (excluding Zoe and counting each Cortex Alert only once). This lends itself to a maximum of 4 players as otherwise even without any Wanted Crew dying and being removed through various different ways other than bounty hunting, there would not be enough value of bounties to be able to achieve $12,000 per player. Also I used an average calculation, but because bounties are valued differently even 4 players may struggled to each be able to achieve the target.

My intention was that if you have a Cortex Alert, the "printed value" is actually the value x the number of cards you turn in. With that in mind, I believe the total in the game goes up to 72K (not including custom expansions), or enough to competitively accommodate six players... maybe even seven or eight with a lot of jumping.

Quote:
Of course if the only way to guarantee to be able to get to $12,000 is to also jump other player's bounties that will force PvP interaction and probably early on in the game, so maybe 5+ plus players is a better idea and than 4 or less

Indeed. I think the story can play with two very different feels, depending on the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ForeverZero6 wrote:
I also liked the original story from the other topic, bounty hunting never seems to get much plan in my games. Overall I do like the card a lot, but I have some concerns. First have you considered increasing the number of active bounties? With the standard 3, the crew for them are far too often not available until after players have done some digging.

That's a good point, although I'm not sure how to balance it well. Too many bounties will make it too easy... In theory, while people are building up their Crews, they'll turn up enough Wanted folk that at least one or two Bounties will be in play.

ForeverZero6 wrote:
I am not sure I like the idea of the 'Privates Bounties', being able to target another player without them knowing that you can seem too much like a piracy job to me.

Yes! Exactly! That's the price you pay for having a Wanted member on your Crew!

This is also a way to get more Bounty cards in play without making things too crazy. In theory, the game becomes almost like Texas Hold 'Em, with players having their own private hand of cards plus a shared group for everyone.

ForeverZero6 wrote:
As for 'Nothing is Easy' since this is part of a goal I like this addition, though later in the game a single misbehave can easily become pretty trivial. I think it might be more interesting if the number of misbehaves needed was equal to the number of completed bounties. From a theming standpoint, the fugitives are beginning to recognize you as a bounty hunter.

That's a great idea. If I can fit it when I modify things, I probably will.

I DID initially consider a ramp-up with the number of Misbehaves, but I was also experimenting with randomizing it at the same time and it just got too complicated.

ForeverZero6 wrote:
Finally, 'Fighting Over Bones' is a great optional rule, my first thought it that every turn seems a bit too often, but with the dice roll it could certainly work. Very creative way to introduce an NPC element and add extra risk for players trying to stack up on bounties.

Exactly. It adds some randomness but also, hopefully, creates some urgency to the game. The longer you sit on bounties, the greater chance you'll run into trouble, so your best bet is to act efficiently.

ForeverZero6 wrote:
One final question, is there an alternative to the Operative's Corvette as the 'finish' line for players who do not have the Kalidasa expansion? The Alliance Cruiser is what I would assume.

Yes, that would work well.

I forget that some folks don't play with the full board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should also give consideration to the Cryo Stasis Chamber Ship Upgrade at Persephone with this Story Card . This can potentially favour one player at the expense of every other player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea. The timing is so very apropos for me. This weekend my son and I pulled out Firefly and he insisted we play with the piracy & bounty rules this time. I guess he had an itch to go directly after ol' dad in-game.

Well, the piracy didn't work out so well for him. First job pulled was piracy, he wasted no time in coming for me. I already had Booby Traps and the Cryo Stasis chamber installed (fortunate seeding draws & I jumped on them), so while he boarded Serenity, Cap'n Mal sent his weaselly pirating butt backing with fewer crew members. The kicker? Now Kaylee is disgruntled & I hire her away (I think I played it right?). Now Serenity has 4 of the original crew on board. devil I soon put hte coup de grace by successfully executing a pirating op against him. The shine is off those rules. whistle

Long story longer, while we had Bounties up, we completely ignored them as they did not aid in our goals (Harken's Folly story). I was a bit sad that we were going to try this addition and it didn't factor at all. Gwek's new idea here will address that.

Oh, and postscript. In my attempt to achieve goal #2 I drew the misbehave deck reshuffle card. surprise (!) Noooooooo...... cry Sad Mal watches all his awesome crew go bye-bye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a question about Private Bounties. Since bounties count as jobs on this story card, would "A Very Fine Hat" let me consider 4 bounties when dealing with Harken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would say no, no more that it does with the Cortex Uplink (which, in my opinion, the hat doesn't help with).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, it makes sense when you put it that way. I didn't associate the story card text to being similar to the cortex uplink ability until you mentioned it, but I see it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
phideaux1 wrote:
Looks like fun!

Okay, this one's quick, too. Yes, you can still bounty jump. They count as Jobs for purposes of how much you can hold, but still follow all other Bounty rules.

I should probably read the Bounty section again to make sure there's not some other nook or cranny I'm neglecting...

Just to avoid confusion, what would happen if a player with 3 current bounty successfully jumps a bounty? With 3 active, and them counting as jobs, there would be no room for a fourth. Would they have to free one, or just not be allowed to take on a fourth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd say you couldn't start it, just like, say, a Crime Job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I'd say you couldn't start it, just like, say, a Crime Job.

Makes sense to me. Just thinking ahead!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So on the Misbehave, do you Misbehave when you attempt to apprehend and then again when you go to deliver?

I think since it's a 'Job', if you get a Warrant, it SHOULD lose the Job, as normal.

Are you holding all the bound fugitives and delivering them as a group to the Corvette, or delivering them throughout and delivering [to the Corvette] just the collected cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
So on the Misbehave, do you Misbehave when you attempt to apprehend and then again when you go to deliver?

Yes. Whenever you attempt to apprehend or deliver a bounty.

Quote:
I think since it's a 'Job', if you get a Warrant, it SHOULD lose the Job, as normal.

I see what you're saying, except that my intention is that the Misbehave is less part of the job and more a "pre-requisite" to getting to the job, if you will.

In part, some of the ideas here were inspired by KILLJOYS, where the gang certainly gets into all kinds of trouble, but never at the expense of the job. It's possible that they've never gotten the equivalent of a Warrant, but they've certainly had their fair share of run-ins with the authorities.

Consider also that you're basically doing this to get in good with The Operative. I have a feeling that he might be willing to look the other way if you're effective enough. Better worlds and all that...

Quote:
Are you holding all the bound fugitives and delivering them as a group to the Corvette, or delivering them throughout and delivering [to the Corvette] just the collected cards?

You deliver them as normal. Once you've accumulated enough, you go to the Operative.

Someone suggested earlier in the thread that it might be worth ramping up the number of Misbehaves based on number of completed Bounties. If I can fit that, I think it's fun because you're either going around collecting and delivering, with more and more Misbehaves each time, OR you're hold on to the Bounties but have an increased risk of Bounty Jumpers. (Either way, you're still running a gamut of trouble when you turn in).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Scarbuck wrote:

I see what you're saying, except that my intention is that the Misbehave is less part of the job and more a "pre-requisite" to getting to the job, if you will.

In part, some of the ideas here were inspired by KILLJOYS, where the gang certainly gets into all kinds of trouble, but never at the expense of the job. It's possible that they've never gotten the equivalent of a Warrant, but they've certainly had their fair share of run-ins with the authorities.

Consider also that you're basically doing this to get in good with The Operative. I have a feeling that he might be willing to look the other way if you're effective enough. Better worlds and all that...

Perhaps then you should do the Misbehave before you pick up the bounty card. You can add in the multiplier, and that way, if you screw up, you just lose time, there's no Job lost.

The question then, is where must you be to do this?

If you subsequently must do a Misbehave while holding the card - like if you want there to be one to deliver the perp, I think that should have the standard penalty for getting a Warrant. Maybe you've attracted too much attention the Operative's way. He likes to work a little more in shadow. I mean the dude doesn't even have a name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's written as before you attempt to apprehend or deliver, so it's not part of the job per se, merely a complication on the way to the job, if you will.

Honestly, I don't want folks losing Bounties to Warrants because that creates a whole series of exceptions and complications. Also, and this is a side point, really, making Warrants somewhat less risky changes how people deal with Warrants and opens up different options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally get that, and have no problem with it. My only thing is that from over on this side of the fence, the way it reads is that the Misbehave is a part of "working the job". And you want it to be that way, otherwise you have people doing the Misbehave 3 turns before they attempt to apprehend someone or something absurd like that. You want it connected - or it becomes record keeping.

You could list that caveat, that Warrants don't kill the bounty, on that section.

Also, if the subject of the Bounty you're holding gets killed, you still have that "Job" active, correct? Like if your Passengers get eaten by Reavers. And then you have to toggle the Solid with Harken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If folks genuinely think that they should work the Misbehave three turns before apprehending a fugitive, I don't think I can help them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
If folks genuinely think that they should work the Misbehave three turns before apprehending a fugitive, I don't think I can help them.

There will always be those beyond assistance... shake

But maybe they want to get the Misbehave out of the way before trying to run down another player to apprehend one of their crew, because they're worried that if they screw it up, the other ship will know their intentions and take off.

So they do the Misbehave, and catch up to the target a few turns later and pounce, catching them all unawares-like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.