$&@&!" 'Em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
I found it to be no biggie

Just take your time, use the right glue (I love Tamiya cement) and use tweezers.
Whenever I find myself frustrated or tired, while assembling or painting, I end up rushing and making mistakes, so it's better to stop and take a break.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha, yes, just finished them all. I wrote that post after a hand popped out of my tweezers and landed somewhere in my sleeping dog's fur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Symphonic5 wrote:
Ha ha, yes, just finished them all. :) I wrote that post after a hand popped out of my tweezers and somewhere in my sleeping dog's fur.

Nothing wrong with giving your dog a hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Symphonic5 wrote:
$&@&!" 'Em.

Ha. I have been building and painting for years, and I have never had so much trouble as I did with the watcher and Phoenix. They made something I usually enjoy into a horrible chore that I was glad to be done with. It was actually a bit of a downer after the excitement of receiving the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me a nerd, but I can say that I almost enjoyed assembling the Phoenix mini...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost one that went in a big hole, and ended up positioning a different one in its place (one that's a lot less noticeable in its absence from its proper place).

I'm sure no one that's not intimately familiar with the model would notice when they look at it.

But I do.

Every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually thought it was sort of fun. Time-consuming, yes, but it's oddly satisfying when you actually find the correct hand to fit in a specific spot. Although, to be honest, I just did the first 15 or so that way and then for the rest I just stuck them on where ever they seemed to fit, without trying to find their "correct" position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Randolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Watcher was not so bad (using Vibrant Lantern). Not sure if it's 100% correct, but it looks right. The Phoenix was not fun though. Everything else I enjoyed, but the Phoenix can eat me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
DifferentPerson wrote:
...the Phoenix can eat me.

Yeah, it tends to do that.

Vibrant Lantern was a saving-grace, but even that site doesn't make it an easy process. In fact, with the Watcher, he basically admits that he just did whatever he felt like.

I studied a lot of pictures of the Watcher, and don't think I saw any two that were alike (even official photographs), so in the end I just stuck all the bits and bobs wherever I felt they looked okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
*sigh* threads like these make me really scared to get the game when its rereleased. I love the setting, game system and athmosphere, but oh boy I dont have time to spend half my life assembling minis cry

I just want to play the game....

(Yeah I get its a "hobby" for some )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pruden
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gabriel85 wrote:
*sigh* threads like these make me really scared to get the game when its rereleased. I love the setting, game system and athmosphere, but oh boy I dont have time to spend half my life assembling minis cry

The first 5 miniatures (lion and 4 starting) that you have to put together are really easy and that will give you about 10 hours of enjoyment of the game before you have to make any other figures. So don't be too scared. I played the game for a month before needing the butcher and the antelope (next miniatures needed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a joke, I really did enjoy putting it together. It was just stressful worrying about the hands flying across the room and getting lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Symphonic5 wrote:
It was a joke, I really did enjoy putting it together. It was just stressful worrying about the hands flying across the room and getting lost.

Now imagine doing the same setup, but with a watchful and mischievous cat nearby. KD:M is eat or be eaten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I found the Twilight Witch was the hardest model I had to assemble, she was an optional extra and has not been used for anything yet.

The Phoenix was not overly difficult just very time consuming. If you follow someone else's guide, clip off, clean and glue the hands one at a time so you know which letters they are. If you figure it out yourself, place the hands on a piece of paper with letters on it and put each one next to its hand. Then pray nothing bumps it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, lonely tree and phoenix are by far the most excruciatingly painful miniatures I ever assembled. I'm all for this hobby thing, but I guess my heart, like many hands of that dastardly phoenix, is not in the right place here (note: Of course, I happened to assemble both before a guide was published).

I enjoy assembling and painting my miniatures as the next guy (I finished last year my backlog of man-o'war miniatures from around 1997, so don't talk me about the virtues of patience), it's just that complicated builds (and paints, to a lesser extent) accumulating stress me out a lot.

Love the game, love the minis, love the end result of what I painted and assembled, love thinking about when I painted and assembled them. But actually doing that, for some models, was a pain.

I never managed to fit a head in a metal Genestealer Cult Magus back in second edition Warhammer 40K, so I played with it headless and finally greenstuffed something on it around 1999. That was not a hobby, that was a haunting obsession that never went away and the only way to scratch that itch was to compulsively throw solutions at it until it got fixed, sort of.

EDIT: added an 'as' that the swype keyboard had eaten.
... And subsequently changed 'hitch' to 'itch', because autocorrect of aforementioned swype keyboard.
... And changed 'sorry of' to 'sort of', because typing on a cellphone is the worst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Smothers
msg tools
I gave up almost instantly. This hobby shit is not for me I just want to roll dice read terrible events in a story book and laugh when my friends favorite survivor dies in a hunt event then cry because we all died from being short handed in the showdown afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gabriel85 wrote:

This site was a tremendous help putting my KDM figs together: http://vibrantlantern.com

I'm not a minis guy, but with that guide as help I've actually started to enjoy putting together Poots' plastic. There were only a few tough parts: the phoenix's hands, the watcher's tendrils; the rest of the models have been a breeze.

Don't be too intimidated by this side of the game, like was mentioned you can get a lot of play out of the game by just putting together 5 really easy ones -- then the enjoyment you get out of those will fuel you into putting together the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
Nah, lonely tree and phoenix are by far the most excruciatingly painful miniatures I ever assembled. ...

That Lonely Tree was the source of so much cursing. It's like every part of that damn kit was designed for maximum frustration.

Phoenix I didn't find too bad. Hands were a pain, but they're not too bad if you reference a good guide (VL is pretty good but has one or two pairs of hands reversed I think - I cross-referenced another guide that was also *mostly* right). Watcher caused me some grief because the VL guide wasn't super accurate and to make matters worse I managed to snap one of the lantern ropes. Had to replace that with a chain from another kit. It'll look fine when painted.

That freaking tree though. GRRRRRR. I get angry just thinking about it. I've put a lot of models together over the years, but that was THE WORST.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Symphonic5 wrote:
Ha ha, yes, just finished them all. I wrote that post after a hand popped out of my tweezers and landed somewhere in my sleeping dog's fur.

Crap, your dog will be infected with hand parasites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.