Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Class Decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Russell
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a previous post I asked about adventure decks when I ment class decks. So I will ask the question again here and delete the other thread.

When using class decks how many do you use at one time, and must you use the characters that are included with them?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure someone more familiar with class decks will come along and give you a better answer. But the first, most fundamental thing to know is that class decks are optional. We finished 2 full campaigns without them.

Generally, you would only want them because of the characters they contain. And with that, I'll stop because I have reached the end of my knowledge. I just wanted to get those basics out there in case you or someone else reading this wasn't aware of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khaz
Philippines
Quezon City
flag msg tools
I dunno how others play them but I have three thrown into the box right now because i'm currently playing one character each from those decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Class decks are great for adding variety to an adventure path you've played before. So first I'd recommend playing a couple of campaigns without adding them, while the base set still feels new

These are, I think, the main points to consider about including class decks:

Fitting the cards in the box
If you're using unsleeved cards and the standard box insert, I find that two class decks usually fit comfortably. You may have noticed that the spaces in the box are sized to fit all cards from the adventure path, e.g. the weapons slot holds all weapons from decks B-6. As basic and elite cards are removed, it makes space for the extra cards from the class deck.

I once played with three class decks, and ran out of space in the box for several of the boon types. So on that basis, stick with a maximum of two.

Variety
Two class decks is also a good number for bringing in a variety of extra boons without overwhelming the base set. I'd recommend including different types, e.g. Fighter and Wizard, for a good spread of boons. There doesn't seem much point adding in Fighter and Barbarian at the same time, plus you might run out of space for the weapon cards if you do that.

Too many Basics
With class decks added there will be more basic and elite cards, and you'll notice them still turning up later in the adventure. Although class decks bring in basic and elite cards in the right proportions, more class decks means that removing those cards has less of an impact on the card mix. It's up to you whether that's a problem - you could argue it makes finding the good stuff more special I've seen someone suggest a house rule of removing all basic class deck cards at the start of adventure 3 (and elite at adv 5) but I haven't tried that myself.

Support for specific characters
In general you don't have to add class deck boons to play a character from that class deck, or vice versa, but a few characters will work much better with the associated deck. For example, the Rogue deck contains a character who works best when his combat checks have the poison trait. Adding the Rogue deck provides him with many more poison options than RotR alone. For another example, if you want to play a Gunslinger in RotR, it would be crazy not to add the class deck because that's the only way they'll have guns.

So in summary: two class decks is a good number; use contrasting types for a good spread of boons; pick them to support the characters in your party but don't feel like you must use class deck characters with their associated decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll pretty much only add a class deck if I am playing a character from that class deck and even then only if I feel they'll need some special boons to make them viable. So...

If I'm playing Radillo (Wizard) in Rise of the Runelords, I wouldn't add the Wizard Class Deck. Rise of the Runelords has cards that would be more than enough for Radillo.

If I'm playing Sajan (Monk Class Deck) in Skull and Shackles, I'd add the cards. Sajan (or at least the class deck version of him) needs some unique cards that I'm otherwise not going to find in Skull and Shackles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Russell
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your replies. That's the kind of info I was looking for,
Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.