Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be running this at RinCon at the end of the month, so I wanted to at least do a dry run so I would be familiar with the changes from Original Civ.

I set up per the 'first game' booklet, except using the normal calamities setup in the rulebook.

Overall, the changes are minor and really work well to smooth out some of the bumps of Civ. Three players (Minoa, Egypt, and Hatti) were experienced with the original, and 2 of the players were first timers to Civ (Assyria and Hellas). I took about fifteen minutes to run the general instructions and answer questions (I xplain more complicated things like trading and civ advances a few turns in).

Things started off about as expected. Most everyone built a city on the 3rd turn, which makes the next cities come too slowly. Since I was Minoa, I couldn't build until the end of the stone age, then I built 3 cities at once to get out of the stone age.

We negotiated for borders pretty early, and there was actually no conflict between us except for those that came as a result of calamities (treachery in particular seemed to make people want to reclaim their cities).

Minoa was the only civilization to not bump going out of the early bronze period, which put me in the early lead on the AST track. Once the calamities started coming out, the general play slowed down, but we averaged a turn every 30-40 minutes, depending on the calamities, and how long people took to purchase Civ Advances. Trading never seemed to drag on, so we didn't bother with a time limit.

I had a steady lead of 1-2 spaces on the AST track, and managed to advance every turn all the way up to turn 14, when two players had to leave.

Turn 11 hurt me...bad. I think I was the only player to have two calamities hit the same turn, and I got both Civil War and Barbarian hordes. Ouch. I went from 9 cities, to three, and only barely enough population to support those three cities. Hatti was the beneficiary of the Civil war, and really jumped back into the game after starting to lag behind.

Each turn from about turn 8 on, there was at least 1-2 calamities, which surprised me somewhat. I thought with only 5 players, they would be a bit more spread out, but it's nicely balanced to really keep players on their toes.

Turn 13 was also quite hard on the Minoans as they got hit by Iconoclasm and Heresy, and had not purchased any advances to mitigate it yet. The turn before the end of the game, Minoa had been reduced to 1 city. However, Egypt had been hit by a flood and was the beneficiary of Tyranny on the same turn, and a second barbarian horde hit Assyria.

With the way the calamities happened on turn 13 and 14, Egypt had hed her stock depleted, (she had a lot of treasury) and suddenly gained several cities, which would have left her unable to pay taxes had we continued. The first time in the game that anyone would have been caught by a tax revolt.

I think my favorite change to the game, although seemingly minor, is the addition of the water cards to the trade goods. Although there weren't a lot of them in a 5 player game, I could see how they would be a lot more useful in a bigger game. The new civ advances are very nice, and seem really well balanced (3 players used Urbanization to good effect).

The end scores were close:

Nation AST Advances Cities Total
Egypt 55 14 6 75
Hellas 50 11 5 66
Hatti 45 10 6 61
Assyria 55 14 3 72
Minoa 65 13 1 79

Everyone had fun, and want to try again soon, hopefully with a couple more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

So how long did the game take you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getaklue wrote:

So how long did the game take you?

To get to the end of turn 14, we played from 9am until a little after 3pm, with about a 45 min break for lunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.