Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Rules-as-written, Scouting into Airfield into Occupation is overpowered. I'm not sure if we can say it's broken without more data, but there is no doubt it is no fun and seems to grossly break the various metrics governing balance between cards, actions and points.

Literally everything else about this game is awesome. Awesome. The melding of deckbuilding, hand management, war, building, movement, etc. is well-balanced. In non-Scouting/Airfield/Occupation scenarios you have many options that depend greatly on your opponent's choices to be effective or not.

The errata to Scouting is probably good enough (I've played three games now) overall, but the Human/Machines 2er matchup is extreme. If the Human player has Scouting, can Enable Scoring quickly, and the Exploration bonuses provide a bounce in cards or crystals, the game is ending quickly (always 4 turns at most). I've won once from three as Machines, though!

The above situation is only a small part of the game overall. It's irksome, but all of the other scenarios I've played have been tense, multidimensional slugfests. Those games have been everything I want in a multiplayer combat game.

I applaud those members - trilamb and jmathias - who proved the Scouting problem while trying to be as constructive as possible. I do think the community has fallen into too much of a rut about this problem.

I don't think it's A Few Acres of Snow, or even Battles of Westeros, where balancing errors were fatal flaws - it's more like Claustrophobia, where a 'printing error' was easily fixed.

If you are expecting the next Go or Chess, or even Tigris and Euphrates or Terra Mystica, I think Cry Havoc might not be what you want. It's a game of lurches in tempo, where key battles or actions swing the game wildly and are sometimes unpredictable.

I love it, however, and think it's probably the best game I've played in five years .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To "defuse" the Airfield/Scouting combo I came up with this:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/23670647#23670647

What is your opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
the tickler wrote:
To "defuse" the Airfield/Scouting combo I came up with this:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/23670647#23670647

What is your opinion?

I think the way Humans gain Control without having to enter Regions is fundamental to their playstyle. If it was diluted too much then the Humans wouldn't have a viable identity.

The game is built so that the Humans will nearly always lead in the early stages, then try to hang on. Their other skills are more guerilla-ish, helping that plan in the later game.

I think Scouting the Scorch is the biggest issue - with the changes, you can still do it, but it's a lot slower. I think there are Machine and Pilgrim synergies that aren't obvious. I also think learning how to play to win Battles is broadly superficial at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.