BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Ghost Stories Needed! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Lacy
United States
Utah
flag msg tools

I'm working on a game that involves ghost stories. Unfortunately, while I love the basic theme and concept of my game, I don't particularly enjoy actual ghost stories! I'm something of a wimp that way.

So, let me spell out what I'm looking for first, and then I'd appreciate any ideas on how to find it -- whether you have actual content/story ideas, or just know where I can find them without being too, you know, *ahem* disgusted or creeped out.

What I'm looking for:

Ghost LEGENDS. That is, sad/tragic, haunting/creepy, but MOST of all, MYSTERIOUS back-stories. SPECIFICALLY, about the Ghost CHARACTERS, their most poignant EXPERIENCES, and the CIRCUMSTANCES surrounding their death. They can be true, they can be made up, or something in between.

Examples:

Quote:
Long ago in the town where I grew up rumors talked about a girl who was said to have committed suicide on the night of her senior prom, but they never found her body. The boy who was her date that night lives in this town to this day, but he's an old man now; he's a recluse and hasn't spoken to a soul since the day she disappeared. Many people in the town have reported seeing her on the bridge at night, staring out over the river as though deciding whether to jump.

Quote:
The house up the street was once an old bakery, until the baker went crazy and tried to light the place on fire. He was hauled off to a hospital where he died some years later. They say he was always mumbling about his family, even though as far as anyone knew he never had one. Now, no one goes to the upper floor of that old house; it's all boarded off, but in the mornings you can always smell bread baking.

Quote:
Check out the story of Sarah Winchester and the famous Winchester Mansion.

What I'm NOT looking for:

-- Ghost sightings or "Haunting" experiences, such as "Once when it was dark in my house, I swear I saw..." Sorry, that's really not helpful -- the back-story is what I need.

-- Not interested in serial killers and that sort of thing. Most of my ghosts are intense, and in some cases mischievous, but they are not necessarily evil, cruel, or even super scary apart from the "oh and btw I'm dead" thing.

-- No demons, monsters, vampires, werewolves, Lovecraftian Ancients, or any similar thing. Most of my ghosts are among the formerly-living and of the "ghosts are people too" variety.

-- Nothing too gory or grim, or which would be considered outright "horror" more than just Spooky or Creepy. The game I'm working on should be suitable for, say, 10+ years or so. Basically "PG" rated.

-- Again, spooky stories are great, but I'm not kidding when I say I'm super squeamish. I'd appreciate the basic facts of the story without too much embellishment.

Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.hauntedplaces.org/alexandria-va/

http://ghostsofdc.org/tag/alexandria-va/

http://dcist.com/2013/10/washington_ghosts_alexandrias_origi...

The internet's full of these kinds of documented stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a Netflix account? It might just be easier going through a couple episodes of ghost shows (ghost adventures and the like) and extrapolating a backstory from those.

Some of them are violent deaths but nothing graphic is shown. Advantage to that is that your ghosts would be based on "real ones" wow

As far as local legends I can contribute, I have a two.

Rumor was that someone had died at the office where I used to work. The story varied from person to person, but consensus was that the guy was obese and loved to smoke cigars. He was dedicated employee, but the combination of the stress and the unhealthy lifestyle took its toll. They say he just kinda keeled over one day and they found him in his cubicle. The story went, that late at night, you would occasionally catch a whiff of cigar smoke in the office.

A family down the street suddenly abandoned their house when I was growing up, and the word around the schoolyard was that the house was haunted. A series of families tried to move in, but all of them quickly moved out. The worst rumor I remember hearing was that the family's kid had died and the parents couldn't take living in that house anymore. Supposedly the kid haunted the house and made it impossible for other families to live there. The house was left empty for years before it was finally demolished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Family legend.

My aunt had brain cancer. Near the end of her life, my uncle was building a home. During the construction, she would stop over to see how the house was coming along. Allegedly, she would repeatedly tell him that he needed to paint the dining room a certain color. After her death, when someone was in the home alone, they would hear the back door open to the kitchen area, steps go across the kitchen linoleum and end in the dining room (which was carpeted... and painted that certain color). When someone would speak to see who'd entered the home, they never received an answer, probably because no *person* was there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the Bell Witch?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Witch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine it's as easy as browsing the horror section of the IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes. Poltergeist, Ghost Busters, Stephen King..there's literally so many that it seems odd anyone even needs to ask.

You can literally find dozens of books with ghost stories in them. Probably quite a few at thrift shops for pennies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Google "haunted" and add name of any state. While it's fine to get suggestions, you really need to do your own research. Why? It's called "knowing your own game". Just saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.