Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Solitaire scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does a solo game play? Just shoot for a higher score than last game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no official rules included for a solo game. There are however, some fan variants mentioned on other threads, so might be best to post replies to those places. But, yeah, I would guess to try and beat your previous score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
There are no official rules included for a solo game. There are however, some fan variants mentioned on other threads, so might be best to post replies to those places. But, yeah, I would guess to try and beat your previous score.

Actually most variants have a sort of a dummy player you need to beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately there is no official solo variant. I hope the release of the app will bring some solo challenges that might be playable tabletop.
I am working on a solo variant with a dummy player, but it still needs some work and there are just too many games competing for my time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've done some solo games where I just play 2 or 3 sides and start out with distinctly different grand strategies for each to see how it works out. Like, "okay, this game red will build a big army and fight lots of wars, blue will concentrate on building farms and mines, and yellow will start building culture as early as possible." That way as you play each side, you're not thinking so much "what's the best move?" so that they're all just different faces of you, but "what's the best move that is consistent with the declared strategy", so you simulate multiple different players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saneperson wrote:
I've done some solo games where I just play 2 or 3 sides and start out with distinctly different grand strategies for each to see how it works out. Like, "okay, this game red will build a big army and fight lots of wars, blue will concentrate on building farms and mines, and yellow will start building culture as early as possible." That way as you play each side, you're not thinking so much "what's the best move?" so that they're all just different faces of you, but "what's the best move that is consistent with the declared strategy", so you simulate multiple different players.

In my experience, an inflexible strategy is a sure-fire way to lose, so I can only assume that none of the 2-3 players would win in this instance. Is that what happens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
balzi wrote:
In my experience, an inflexible strategy is a sure-fire way to lose, so I can only assume that none of the 2-3 players would win in this instance. Is that what happens?

I don't assume it's a tie. Do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markosalaplaya wrote:
balzi wrote:
I don't assume it's a tie. Do you?

I'm just being silly. Forgive me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
balzi wrote:
I'm just being silly. Forgive me

Me too. You're right about the inflexibility though.

Elsewhere on this forum playing dummy players is discussed in detail. Scores run into the 4 digits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not suggesting this as a winning strategy. I'm suggesting this as a way to handle pseudo-dummy players in a solitaire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.