Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Solitaire scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does a solo game play? Just shoot for a higher score than last game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwell84 wrote:

It's an automated opponent via a cardboard AI system that attempts to simulate the points of interaction between players without requiring the player to make decisions on behalf of the game, and abstracting the things that an opponent might do which don't directly impact you away. And then, at the end of the game, you compare your score to the Automa's to figure out if you won or not.

Said AI? Managed by a single deck of cards which, while the most complicated automa Morten's done so far, at least to my recollection, does run smoothly once you get the hang of it. If it's worth getting for solo play alone is going to vary from person to person, so if you are looking for it as a solo game I'd look into more detailed reviews and discussion of the solo mode, but so far from the solo experience alone I'd have rated the game an 8 (I rate it a 9 at present when playing with more than myself), but the game's growing on me both solo and multiplayer each time I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwell84 wrote:

You actually get an AI opponent whose score you need to beat. You can even play against two (or more) enemy opponents if you print out/order some extra cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The AI feels a lot like playing against a real human player, albeit one who is often expansionist and aggressive, but who occasionally takes his eye off the ball

My last game was n 84-81 loss on Normal difficulty; I realised afterwards that I could have won by 3 points if I'd made a different last move, but I decided to shore up hexes where I was vulnerable instead of aiming to control as many as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to what Stephen has said there are four difficulty levels too.

I've been really impressed by the solo mode. In two games with the same factions I had one where I had a bad start and the Automa camped the hexes outside my base, and another where it was gun shy and never attacked and instead camped the factory.

The system is great. Perfectly compromising in all the right areas to keep things flowing, while keeping the feeling of playing the "real" game.

Would strongly recommend as a solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is terrific solo. As others have described, you are playing against a virtual opponent. You can also play against multiple AIs by using more than one Automa deck, or the online Automa deck. At this point, I probably won't play against only one AI again. Lately I've been playing against three opponents and it really does capture the feel of a multiplayer game very well. It's really smooth once you get the hang of it, but learning the AI movement system did take a few games to sort out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't as keen on the multiple Automa because after a few turns all combat will occur almost exclusively on the factory. This seems very exploitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quitch wrote:
I wasn't as keen on the multiple Automa because after a few turns all combat will occur almost exclusively on the factory. This seems very exploitable.

How does that make much of a difference, though, to what might happen in an actual multiplayer game? The factory should be fought over. It doesn't mean I can necessarily get there, myself, or exploit anything about that.

There are times when an Automa will pick a dumb fight, and leave itself weak, but that actually feels less significant with more Automa opponents, as some human players you would play against would do dumb things, too. (Often, I am that dumb human.) It's your job to exploit that opportunity when you can.

Regardless, I've won/lost enough times against multiple Automas (usually 2-3 Automas, but I've tried a couple of 5p games recently that worked well) that it feels like a good enough challenge. And the experience is vastly more interesting to me against more than just one player. Two player Scythe is okaaaay, but not nearly as good as 3-5, IMO, and the Automa simulates that well enough, if not perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took away the uncertainty of will or won't the Automa attack me, which drained some of the tension. Unless you're in the factory (or next to the player who owns it) you know 100% you won't be attacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try not to lose, for starters, hehe.

I tried the Automa prior to my first game to learn it and help smooth the first game and it really helped. I was also impressed with how well it worked. The only down side (in a way) was the leg-up it gave me in playing the game - when I played humans (it was their first game) that experience meant I won fairly convincingly. Once we've got a few more games under our belts, and the others have more experience, I'll definitely return to Automa, but I don't want to get too much advantage from playing it in the meantime, hehe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.