Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've probably played Euros too long to ever go back to a player elimination game to determine the winner. I like victory points, and I like the game taking about the same length for all players. This is why I think the game needs to have some kind of different winning condition. Here's what I'm going to play with in my next session of it. It is very similar to what is already in the rules, except for I add a new way to make victory points.

There are two ways for the game to end.

a) Sudden Death - If someone conquers another player's capital the game ends immediately. The player with the largest total of victory points wins. The player that lost their capital can not win.

b) VP total - If someone has 20 points at the end of their turn, they win.

Victory points are counted as: 1 VP for each town, 2 VP for each city, and 1 VP for each city conquered by you. We have chips to keep track of this. Every time you take control of a city from someone else, you gain a chip. It effectively makes conquering other people's cities causes the game to be a little easier for you to win. While you can lose cities and towns (and the VPs associated with them), you never loose chips.

I plan on playing tonight, so I will comment on how I feel the game plays with this kind of ending. My last game we tried the Doomsday clock variant and we thought that it didn't provide a satisfying ending (the winner title bounced around between players until the game randomly stopped, and the last guy to roll the '1' knew they weren't going to get a turn at the end of it all so felt screwed). I love a lot of what's going on in the game, I just think that a little more meaning should be tied to winning.

Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on writing a session report, but we played twice last night. I tried out the rules as stated above and the game ended in about 30 minutes due to horrible tile draw that left two players with a river running straight up to their capital. A player took advantage of it when the game was still early and ended the game with 10 points (all scores were 10 7 7 and 5). We didn't think the game was satisfying enough, so we took out capitals, and the capital rules.

Second game just had us duking it out for cities and chips. The middle of the board didn't get industrialized until the absolute last minute as it was too juicy a target for other if you did. It came down to a narrow finish but 3 players were in contention for the win. 1 player was just wiped off the map, but the game ended as his last city was taken.

So far I like the addition of extra points for taking over a city very much. I think we might keep it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I like this win-by-victory-points with chips variant.

A question though, without Capitols, do you modify reserve placement rules at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sounds of this variant. Haven't played the game in awhile now but I'd love for it to hit the table again and this could be a good game type to pull in. One question though, how many players were you playing with for the 20 points? Do you think that needs to be adjusted based on the number of players or does the map size to player area ratio balance enough that 20 points works across the board?

Reading up on the game makes me want to play again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.