Subject: Ferdinand European Beatdown Tour 2016 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The North Texas Gamers had their monthly group game day at Madness Games & Comics today. We had games of Star Trek: Ascendancy x2, Triumph and Tragedy, and an awesome game of Friedrich.

According to my BGG stats this was my 16th game of Friedrich (guessing my 5 or 6th time as Freddy) since 2005. We would play it 3 or 4 times a year when it first came out but in the past few years it is one of those play once a year games. In all this time, we've never seen a Prussian/Hanover victory and it is usually "who is going to be the Prussian punching bag this year?" each time we play. But not today.

Today "Freddy" went the distance and got the win! At the end of nineteen turns, the last major power, France, that can quit the war finally did.

Avoiding major losses and long deck depleting battles were the standing orders for team Prussia/Hannover. "I'll take one loss and retreat one" became the dreaded sentence uttered by Prussia/Hannover time after time as Russia, Austria, and France slowly made headway capturing the flagged cities needed for their respective victory. The Hannoverian General Ferdinand embarked on a long journey leaving the borders of Hannover marching first to Sweden, destroying the Swedish army and its Supply train before marching South to Silesia and then finally Sachsen handing the Imperial Army successive defeats in the region. During the game, Austria, France, and Sweden all came within a single flagged location away from victory but Friedrich's generals all stepped up when needed.

Friedrich End of Turn Major Events:
1. Turn 8: "Lord Bute' event occurs decreasing the Prussian hand draw from 7 to 5. This is kind of a gut punch for Prussia this early in the game as the size of their hand draw is one of their big bonuses when trying to hold off the other 3 players.

2. Turn 10: The Tsarina dies event occurs. This knocks out Russia from the game. The Russian/Sweden player now only controls Sweden but has eased victory conditions. Up to this point, Lehwaldt (Prussia) conducted a successful delaying action in East Prussia keeping 2 of Russia's generals occupied while his remaining two generals marched West to take on Dohna(Prussia).

3. Turn 13: The "India" event occurs. This is one of two events that must occur to knock France out of the game. It does change France's hand draw from 3+1(draw 4 then discard 1) to draw 3 and decreases Austria's hand draw from 5 to 4. France came close to victory around Turn 9 or 10 needing only 1 more flag in Prussia but Sedlitz and Winterfeldt were able to hold France off for the remainder of the game while Cumberland(Hannover) tried numerous times to cause trouble in the French rear areas.

4. Turn 16: The event knocking Sweden out of the game occurs. The Sweden player takes over the Imperial Army(IA) faction from the Austria/IA player. Both Austria and the Imperial Army have eased victory conditions. When Russia was knocked out of the game, Sweden needed only 1 more flag for victory. Dohna was able to hold out till Friedrich himself went North to help out until Sweden capitulated.

5. Turn 17: the "Poems" event occurs decreasing the Prussian hand draw from 5 down to 4. By this time Austria and France had just as many cards as Prussia. Prussia avoided long combats as much as possible, taking losses of 1 and 1 space retreats.

6. Turn 19: "America" - the second French event occurs. This knocks out the last major power that can be knocked out. Since no faction has achieved their victory condition, the Prussia/Hannover faction wins!

This was one of my gaming goals - winning as Prussia/Hannover faction. It was a very fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Diablo
msg tools
This game is so much fun. I love it!
Looking Forward to playing it again tomorrow after some time without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.