Subject: First Game Became Huge War of Attrition -- Thoughts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So obviously huge caveat that this was our first game, but it started out really nicely with us racing to points until I get a little behind and was able to assemble a pretty decent military front, chipping away on points constantly. Basically I kept my head above water with Legats, while knocking the other side down with Legionarius and Centurios. Obviously the game state changed several times but it's so easy to refresh yourself in this game that that was the general flow. We did use the errata Mercator (limit 3 uses per die) so maybe that slowed us down a bit. But VPs always go back to the supply right? It just felt like we had a couple ebbs and flows to where the game kind of grinded down and felt like it might last forever. Thoughts? I don't think we played anything wrong, but maybe we did. Or maybe we just weren't creative enough in seizing the upper hand. My military strategy was a very slow grind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the beauties of Roma, at least for me, is that there never 2 games alike. Once, you play a game that ends in 5 minutes and the next lasts for 45. Once, you bleed to death, the next you empty the VP pool in a breeze and yet the next it's a bloody battle to empty it over several turns. It's a very swingy game and I think you must accept that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is one of the perks for me. Quick death or death of 1000 cuts. All depends on what comes out. Mix with Arena for best results, imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Maybe we just got into a weird situation, but what jumped out at me (again, unless I missed something) is that there is no inherent timer in the game, just what feels like a perpetual tug of war, VPs sliding back and forth between players and the pool until somehow someone finally gets enough to get over the hump and wipe out one of those pools. It's driving me kind of crazy because I love the core mechanics, but our game has already gone 90m and we're basically tied on points right now with nearly equal points in all three pools. So it's kind of like we're starting fresh almost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just the way the game is desinged. We had games that took less then 30 min but we had games that took an hour or more to finish. Getting the right cards and good dice rolls will alway's decide the game no matter what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.