$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Daniel Castellanos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first glance that sounds silly, since it was a "Limited Edition", but I think the whole situation is silly:

There were 2,000 copies of the Collector's Edition of the base game released. At the time that the LoME:LE was released, those people were the prime targets for release.

Why would anyone with a standard copy of WotR buy an LE copy of the expansion? Who would want 9 painted figures to go with the hundred UNpainted figures in their base game? And if they had already painted their base game figures, why not paint just 9 more from a standard set?

No, the LoME:LE (barring a few exceptions that prove the rule, I'm sure) was intended as an add-on for those that purchased the WotR:CE. And this was the first injustice:

Only 1,000 copies of the expansion printed for 2,000 customers of the CE? In my opinion, everyone who purchased a WotR:CE should have gotten a personal, private invitation (via e-mail) to reserve an advance copy of the LoME:CE. Instead, I'm sure a bunch of people bought the LoME:CE just for the purpose of reselling it later at a higher price. With only 1,000 in the print run, you guaranteed that 1,000 owners of the WotR:CE never had a chance to get a copy of the expansion specifically made for their $400 boardgame and, as I'm sure you've guessed by now, I'm one of them.

Who really, is willing to pay $400 for a high-quality boardgame, and is not going to be interested in and willing to pay an additional $50 for the matching expansion for it?

Now you have the Anniversary Edition coming out soon, and those 2,000 additional customers are also going to want a painted, Limited Edition, of the expansions to go along with their copies. I'm told that the Warriors of Middle Earth will have a Limited Edition, so are WotR:AE owners going to have WotR:CE and WoME:LE with no chance to get LoME:LE?

Many of the people who will soon own WotR:AE would never even have considered buying LoME:LE, because they didn't own a Collector's Edition or an Anniversary Edition at the time. Now that the opportunity has come, they will only find $700 copies of LoME:LE on eBay.

But more fundamentally, it comes down to the fact that you now have 4,000 combined owners of either the WotR:CE or the WotR:AE, and only 1,000 copies of LoME:LE in the wild to go around. It's simply not enough, and as someone who shelled out big bucks for the original WotR:CE AND another copy of WotR:AE, I think it simply isn't fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1412867/limited-edition...

I think Roberto's original comments are on Ares site somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Potter
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's one on the geek market for $255. Always check that first over EBay. Your point still remains but at least it's more reasonable.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/995316

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kuhn
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PopeBrain wrote:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1412867/limited-edition...

I think Roberto's original comments are on Ares site somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.

They were comments he made during an interview by the gaming blog "Pundak," which can be read here.

It's a long read, but a good one, and it is filled with other non-WotR stuff (which may interest folks nonetheless). But the stuff specifically about WotR and the deluxe/limited editions is near the end, so scroll down.

In a nutshell, there will likely be a painted edition of the imminent War of the Ring: Warriors of Middle-earth, and there will be yet a third, as yet undisclosed, expansion for WotR, and a painted edition of that, assuming sales for the aforementioned go well. And how could they not? Then he is considering publishing what he calls a "monster" edition of all 3 expansions in one edition, deluxe-style.

So, while there are no plans to ever offer a reprint of LoME deluxe, there is hope that it will one day be available through this supposed edition. It's way too early to tell if this is even likely or not. If/when all three deluxe expansions finally get to the point of selling out, I think it is a possibility. After all, nobody thought a deluxe WotR would ever be available again, yet here we are.

But of course, nothing is really set in stone, and Roberto must say: "Don't bank on it." But I am sure they will at least start down this path, as their business is selling games, after all. At that point, financial success will determine whether they continue. However, it bears noting that LoME would be at the very end of this long, long journey.

Also, to clarify, even though he does not specifically say so in that interview which is linked, "getting everything together in one box," as he puts it likely means all three expansions, not base game plus three expansions. I'm inferring this from comments he has made on facebook about the Anniversary Release of WotR:

Roberto wrote:

This set does not include any expansion components. First, many of you like to play War of the Ring "as is" without expansions, and adding these components would make the Anniversary Release more costly.
The other problem is that in no way we could produce, today, a "complete" set of base game + expansion, because our expansion plan for War of the Ring is to manufacture three expansions.
One of them, Lords of Middle-earth, is on the market, and it already had a limited release (in 1000 copies).
In the coming months, we will publish the second expansion - Warriors of Middle-earth. We are considering offering a limited release of this set with painted figures. If there is continued demand, we will do the same for the third expansion, when it releases (no release date can be announced yet).
When the "trilogy" of WOTR expansions is completed, we would like to manufacture one set including all three expansions, as a future "companion" to the Anniversary Edition.
However, we cannot promise this will happen, nor offer a firm release date. Changes in manufacturing costs, for example, could make the release of these sets impossible. So, we recommend you do not base your purchase on the expectation of a future release of painted expansion sets.

EDIT: I also wanted to say to the OP that "Isn't fair," IMO, is a fairly harsh criticism to level. They are a business. They offer stuff, and this LoME edition was labeled "limited." What should we reasonably expect? LoME came out long before the AR was conceived as a product. That said, I think these comments address the situation that they have now made this fabulous edition of WotR and that many folks may be in this boat. They are working on a way to serve these people in light of new developments. I think it is more than fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Castellanos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's specifically not fair to:

1. Collector's Edition owners that weren't given a fair chance of acquiring the add-on which, to any reasonable person, was specifically made for a limited edition game that they shelled out a lot of money for. I never even knew a LoME:LE edition was being printed until it was already sold out. Every CE owner should have been sent an email allowing them to reserve a copy. I think it is ridiculous that CE owners were not personally notified. It certainly could not have been a difficult task to pull up a list of orders and emails.

2. Anniversary Edition owners that would never have considered buying the LoME:LE set, because it came out before the AE even existed, and so they would have had no reason to consider buying it. It is now impossible for an AE owner to have a complete set of the game they own, and all its corresponding expansions.

The idea of a collection of all the Limited Edition expansions, even if it were a certainty and not just a possibility, is a poor solution. Look how long it has taken to release WoME, and we don't even know when the WoME:LE will hit. God knows when the third expansion will appear: 2019? And how long after that will it take for an LE collection of the three expansions to appear? Maybe 2020 or 2021.

I want to play the "full" version of the game I bought, now. Not 5 years from now.

You're right that it seems, on the surface, unreasonable to demand a company to repeat a "Limited Edition" anything. But this is a unique situation because it is not a standard standalone product. You can't reasonably expect to sell LoME:LE to anyone who doesn't own the CE or the AE, and therefore, it doesn't really have any particularly limited edition value on its own.

In essence, this was an "Expansion for the Collector's Edition", and yet there wasn't a reasonable effort made to get it into the hands of the CE owners, or to notify them, or to provide enough copies so that those owners could each "complete" their set. Now, it's doing double duty as an "Expansion for the Collector's Edition AND the Anniversary Edition", which is something it seems it was never intended to do, and there simply aren't enough copies for all these people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.