Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One the world map event says to roll one die to determine initiative for the full turn. If there are no battles, does it just get discarded? I guess this falls under the "impossible to happen" category, but wasnt sure.

Also, I noticed the cards for British provincial troops seem to indicate they are in play the whole turn, as long as at least one battle occurs in the region they are assigned to. So I assume this means, a general in the ohio valley moves to attack a fort. French defends, British provincial troops for ohio valley come in to play. British leader loses battle, retreats. During french phase, French player decides to attack the same ohio valley British leader. Those same provincial troops are still in play?

For the british siege/fort cannon provincial units, I assume these "must" come in to play for the first fort battle of a turn? It does not say "must" on the card, but I dont think the French player ever picks and chooses when they want British provincials to come in for battles.

Finally, there is a British general that says +1 rating for wilderness battles. If a Fort is placed on a wilderness area, and that british general attacks the space with the fort tile on it, is it no longer considered a wilderness battle? Therefore, no +1 for initiative? Thematically, I would assume this is correct, as I imagine a fort battle was much different than a battle in the woods.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
One the world map event says to roll one die to determine initiative for the full turn. If there are no battles, does it just get discarded? I guess this falls under the "impossible to happen" category, but wasnt sure.

As I recall, Alan Emrich confirmed in some other thread asking this question that it was used and thus discarded trashed because it could have been applied, there just didn't happen to be any battles.

(Edited - fixed "discarded" to "trashed", doh)

Quote:
Also, I noticed the cards for British provincial troops seem to indicate they are in play the whole turn, as long as at least one battle occurs in the region they are assigned to. So I assume this means, a general in the ohio valley moves to attack a fort. French defends, British provincial troops for ohio valley come in to play. British leader loses battle, retreats. During french phase, French player decides to attack the same ohio valley British leader. Those same provincial troops are still in play?

That's certainly how I understand it. They'll participate in all the battles on that track that turn, and then be recycled or discarded depending on the results.

Quote:
For the british siege/fort cannon provincial units, I assume these "must" come in to play for the first fort battle of a turn? It does not say "must" on the card, but I dont think the French player ever picks and chooses when they want British provincials to come in for battles.

That's how I always understood it.

Quote:
Finally, there is a British general that says +1 rating for wilderness battles. If a Fort is placed on a wilderness area, and that british general attacks the space with the fort tile on it, is it no longer considered a wilderness battle? Therefore, no +1 for initiative? Thematically, I would assume this is correct, as I imagine a fort battle was much different than a battle in the woods.

That's how I understand rule 14.2:
rules wrote:
[14.2] Fort Marker Effects: Consider a box with a Fort marker on it a Fortress box for all
purposes (Rule [12.0]).

combined with the terrain rule (page 4):
rules wrote:
Wilderness: Every other non-Fortress/Colony box (except Montréal) is Wilderness and has a
green box. These represent lightly-settled areas of North America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So for the world map event card, if no battles occur, it gets trashed? Because it "could" have happened? Discarded I thought would mean it was impossible for the event to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
So for the world map event card, if no battles occur, it gets trashed? Because it "could" have happened? Discarded I thought would mean it was impossible for the event to happen.

Crap, I miswrote - you're right that it is trashed, not discarded, and that's what I meant. It indeed "could" have happened, so the usual rule for world events is to trash them then.

(I think my brain is not used to distinguishing "trash" and "discard" in games... other than Dominion...)

Thanks! I edited my reply to fix that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.