Popular Tags: [View All]
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm organizing an online handicapped Go tournament from May 19 to May 27(via Kiseido Go Server, download the client here: http://gokgs.com/). See details here: http://senseis.xmp.net/?BGGKGS

All skill levels are welcome to join.

EDIT: The tournament is now from May 19th to June 8th to accomodate people with more hectic schedules.

EDIT2: My handle on KGS is 'Carey'. To register once you download the software, log in as a Guest (after clicking "Play on KGS", put in a username and click "Guest"), then go to User->Register and follow the prompts to make your account permanent. After that, you can join us in our room by going to Rooms->Room List->Social->BoardGameGeek. If there is no one there, you can also get some tips on how to play at Rooms->Room List->Lessons->Beginner's Room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Fun idea!

5 rounds in 8 days may be too aggressive a schedule if you really have international participation (due to difficulty in finding mutually agreeable times for busy people to play when time zones differ wildly). I've played in some KGS tournaments with players from around the world that used 1-week rounds, and even then it was sometimes challenging to find a suitable time. Maybe that was just a flukey flakey group, I don't know. What sort of schedule do most KGS tournaments use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in...as long as I can get my rank back before the deadline.

The good thing about this tournament is that it may lead to more BGG Go playing on KGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Cole
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This looks interesting although I'm also wondering if that's enough time for everyone to get their matches in if they have busy schedules. But I'm interested too!

Forest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
its a busy time for me but I would like to join if possible. Handicap is a good idea. So that anyone can win. Is there a limit to handicaps. It would be good if somehow a 16 kyu could have a chance against a 1 dan.

I am not sure if the hadicap stone system is linear with the rankings. But I would suggest that beyond 9 stones only to give one extra handicap stone per 2 ranking difference (but maybe 1 stone per renk difference is better, I don't know). Can kiseido handle more than 9 stones handicap? I am guessing yes. If no white can pass a few times at the beginning of the game while black plays stones anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MatthiasC
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mb
Great idea, count me in.
Quote:
Can kiseido handle more than 9 stones handicap? I am guessing yes.

I don't know if it makes sense to give more than a 9 stone handicap. I'm far from being an expert on this, but I think that more than 9 stones will distort the game somewhat. Wouldn't it be better to add some points to the komi instead of adding more handicap stones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
its a busy time for me but I would like to join if possible. Handicap is a good idea. So that anyone can win. Is there a limit to handicaps. It would be good if somehow a 16 kyu could have a chance against a 1 dan.

Carey handled this in the rules for the tournament (http://senseis.xmp.net/?BGGKGS5):

Quote:
Pairings will try not to go past 6 stones handicap, but there may be too few people to avoid it.

Maximum handicap is 9 stones no matter what the rank difference.

As a side note, I've heard of handicaps up to 13 with extra stones being placed on either the 3-3 points or the 7-7 points. I've never seen a game done this way or even if this is done at all beyond just theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to try to get a rank on KGS before the tournament starts, if anyone wants to try playing some games over lunch (US EST) or other times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to play, but am very unlikely to be felxible enough with when I can play those days :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:
I'd like to try to get a rank on KGS before the tournament starts, if anyone wants to try playing some games over lunch (US EST) or other times.

I'm in the eastern time zone and usually on KGS between 12:30 and 2, my username there is siskny like it is here.

Any idea of where you rank now? Beginner? Intermediate?

There seems to be more BGG members in the BGG room later in the afternoon if you want to catch a game then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who may not know, you need to win 2 rated games and lose 2 rated games against players with no "?" in their rank before you lose your "?". Players usually avoid playing games with "?", so you can either play other BGG'ers or play the bots in the ranking room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SiskNY wrote:
Jackwraith wrote:

I'm in the eastern time zone and usually on KGS between 12:30 and 2, my username there is siskny like it is here.

Any idea of where you rank now? Beginner? Intermediate?

Beginner, most likely. I've only been playing with my wife and we both learned the game when we started. I've got a fairly good idea of some basic strategy and territory concepts, but I'm afraid what has worked against another very inexperienced player won't measure up too well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to participate, but would need more time and some timezone flexibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've given it a lot of though and I think everyone is right. 5 games in 9 days is a little much. I'm going to extend the end of the tournament two weeks to accommodate people with more hectic schedules.

These changes have been reflected on the wiki page.

For anyone needing a solid rank, feel free to ask anyone in the BoardGameGeek Room on KGS (Rooms->Room List->Social->BoardGameGeek). Likewise, if you are new to the game, you can usually find matches in the Beginner's Room (under Rooms->Room List->Lessons->Beginnger's Room).

Edit: Every in-person tournament I've played in was a 9-stone limit on handicaps, and it worked pretty well. If we get enough players, it won't even be an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we're pretty much within 9 stones of each other anyway... should be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we can just get two more players, we can split into two divisions and that will help with the handicap factor.

Edit: So far we have 10 contestants, including myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 days left to register!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
GilgaTex wrote:
2 days left to register!

Ok, I'm in - let me know if you don't get the email with details from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Russ!

If we can get just one more person between 2k-18k, it would really made pairings easy on me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been hassling BGG's famous Jim Kiraly to sign up, but I don't think he has a KGS rank yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
I have been hassling BGG's famous Jim Kiraly to sign up, but I don't think he has a KGS rank yet.

Boy, that would be great! Just tell him to play a bunch of blitz games, he can get a rank in under an hour. But tell him to hurry, there's only a day and a half left to register!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
12 hours left to register! If you were waiting until the last minute, this is it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

If anyone in division two would like to play a game in about 2 or 3 hours from now, please geekmail me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Hi all

If anyone in division two would like to play a game in about 2 or 3 hours from now, please geekmail me.

I'm in division 2 and could play you in a morning game (around 7:00 AM here, GMT-4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this timezone thing is melting my brain, especially with the dateline between us (I'm a day ahead of everyone), so I'm just going to jump on KGS whenever I can, at whatever odd hours, and hope everyone else does the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.