Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Imagine you could commission rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Pole

Winkleigh
Devon
msg tools
a game covering any battle/campaign using any system. Sales are not an issue: you will not have to contribute towards the cost of the game, nor will you receive a share of any profit which might arise. Which battle/campaign and which system would you choose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FAB Cassino Anzio covering both sections of the front, maybe even all the way across the Italian peninsula at about the same scale as FAB Sicily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Kohima. No hesitation. Sieges are notoriously difficult to replicate, especially when you have such a disparity of forces and, in this instance, without the benefit of towering walls to defend you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Kohima. No hesitation. Sieges are notoriously difficult to replicate, especially when you have such a disparity of forces and, in this instance, without the benefit of towering walls to defend you.

Using Storm Over Dien Bien Phu system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Not a massive fan of the area impulse so if I was commissioning I'd say 'look at alternatives'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The battles:

Peel Marshes, October, 1944. German counterattack, called off when Hitler, much to Model's disgust, refused to release units earmarked for the Ardennes that were needed to exploit the initial success.

Paderborn, March - April, 1945. 3rd Armored Division stirs up a hornets' nest, a Panzer training school, in a short but bitter battle that left General Rose dead.

The system:

Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944.

Interesting late war battles in that they are not a complete walk over for the Allied side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love a detailed hex-and-counter treatment of the battles of Middle-Earth - 'Great Battles of Middle-Earth' (GBoH) and/or 'Men of Middle-Earth' (MoI/Infidel).

In addition, 'Advanced Orc Leader' - ASL goes to middle-earth.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubenpup wrote:
a game covering any battle/campaign using any system. Sales are not an issue: you will not have to contribute towards the cost of the game, nor will you receive a share of any profit which might arise. Which battle/campaign and which system would you choose?

Monster game at the grand strategic scale. It depicts as historically accurately as possible every war of the Roman state from the legendary era of Roman kings through the end of the Byzantine empire. It adapts the system from Successors and/or Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage but defines appropriate victory conditions for each war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Rubenpup wrote:

Monster game at the grand strategic scale. It depicts as historically accurately as possible every war of the Roman state from the legendary era of Roman kings through the end of the Byzantine empire. It adapts the system from Successors and/or Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage but defines appropriate victory conditions for each war.

P500ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
The Normans in the Mediterranean: Roger II of Sicily.

Hex and counters wargame, possibly with cards for major historical events, but not card-driven.

Something in the vein of SCS or OCS.

EDIT: a few clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbur Whateley
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be.
badge
Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate.
mbmbmbmbmb
A fantasy wargame/adventure game based on the Jack Vance 'Lyonesse' trilogy, set in the Elder Isles, with the kind of flavorful richness of characters, magic items, enchantments, Places of Power etc found in Albion: Land of Faerie but with an accompanying army battle board system to resolve army battles, and a small scale adventure system to resolve encounters and other-world excursions by small parties or magicians adventuring in the forests of faerie, in other worlds/dimensions like Tanjecterly etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COIN treatment of the war in Iraq, 2003+.

A John Butterfield solo game on the full British Airborne experience at Arnhem. Maybe 250m/hex, 4-hour turns.

Any new game on anything at any scale by Rachel Simmons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd go for Holdfast: The Great War, The Western Front 1918.

It would use Worthington's Holdfast system and be set from the beginning of Germany's Michael offensive to the end of the last 100 days [the allies counter offensive], that ended the Great War. It would probably have a bit greater block density than the current Holdfast games.

This would give Germany the potential to win the Great War as well the Allies the chance to penetrate into Germany itself.

With the Western Front you would have blocks represent Germany, France, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States.

I have email Worthington with this suggestion and received a quick, very polite, possibly in the future response. So, who knows, maybe this one is a possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Vimy145 wrote:

Are you sure Fields of Despair: France 1914-1918 won't scratch that itch or is Fields *too* grand strategic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
rayofsunshine wrote:
Vimy145 wrote:

Are you sure Fields of Despair: France 1914-1918 won't scratch that itch or is Fields *too* grand strategic.

Fields isn't grand strategic at all since it only covers one front of a multi-front war. More operational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayofsunshine wrote:
Vimy145 wrote:

I wouldn't think so. I've played the 3 current Holdfast games and have FoD on order. Although both of these games [1 real and the other imaginary], are based on the Western Front, the mechanics of each game are different. Plus, time wise, one game takes place over a 4 year or 51 month period, while the other would be just the final 9 months. You could even do a game/scenario on the final 100 days, it's just that Germany could not win, only delay or limit the Allied victory.

The bigger question is demand and you've 'scratched' that question. Is there a big enough of a demand to support 2 games that both cover a similar point in history. After all this isn't Normandy, the Eastern Front, Market Garden, Waterloo, Gettysburg, North Africa, the Bulge...

Of course this thread is a sort of a wish list of proposed games and the mechanics that those proposed games would use, however, you do bring an excellent point on demand for this proposed game that I had not thought about before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it has been done before, but nothing currently available that I can think of - Operation Sealion - a strategic scale game based on the planned 1940 invasion of England.

Would be particularly good if it included starting set-ups with the Germans landing in a few possible places, or a longer game with the ability to play deception games on both sides (eg. the Allied dummy armies).

As an add-on, with new pieces but the same maps, a US lead Allied invasion of France in 1942, which they seriously contemplated during their first arrival into Europe.

I do enjoy the Columbia block-game systems, so playable and with easy to manage bluffing which would be invaluable for these campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Rubenpup wrote:

Just those two thousand years? Sounds limiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosecrans man
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My choices are quite simple. One is actually well into development. First, I hope that Legion (or someone) decides to publish Michael Taylor's Peleliu game. Second, I'd like to see SCS games on Tinian, Okinawa, the Huertgen Forest and Luzon and Leyte.

I'd like to see TCS games on the airfield attack on Peleliu, the Marine defense of Garapan early in the invasion of Saipan, the last ditch banzai charge at Saipan against one of the Army regiments that drove them to the northern shore of the island.

I'd like to see Mike Rinella games on all of those battles (especially Okinawa, as I feel that it would complete a set, after having done Ie Shima).

Finally, how about a BCS or SCS game on WWII's "lost battalion" of the 36th Division?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Rubenpup wrote:

Just those two thousand years? Sounds limiting.

We are basically asking for our dream game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm just teasing. Warfare changed greatly in that period, it reaches into early gunpowder. You'd have to have a broad array of rulesets to match.

Academy's 1812 series is covering 1000 years now, so I suppose such things are possible.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
I'm just teasing. Warfare changed greatly in that period, it reaches into early gunpowder. You'd have to have a broad array of rulesets to match.

Academy's 1812 series is covering 1000 years now, so I suppose such things are possible.

S.

I'd love to design the game myself but however well I know the history I've always looked at the kind of minutiae you'd need to make a real wargame as of lesser importance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My two dream games:
- A solo game on the WW II 'Pedestal' convoy to Malta using the mecachanics of Where There Is Discord (Sea Hurricaines instead of Harriers, Stukas instead of Super Entenards)
- A solo game on the siege of Malta by the Ottomans in 1565, worthy of Ernle Bradford's book, 'The Great Seige'.
...Guess I have a thing for solo games about Malta. Maybe I should start a thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
navigator37 wrote:
My two dream games:
- A solo game on the WW II 'Pedestal' convoy to Malta using the mecachanics of Where There Is Discord (Sea Hurricaines instead of Harriers, Stukas instead of Super Entenards)
- A solo game on the siege of Malta by the Ottomans in 1565, worthy of Ernle Bradford's book, 'The Great Seige'.
...Guess I have a thing for solo games about Malta. Maybe I should start a thread...

At least one of those games has to be named "The Maltese Falcons".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I want the Grand Tactical System to go east. Kursk pincers and some smaller stuff like the Chir River battles seem like naturals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.