Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I love games that have an engine, you build something, you take that and put it into something else, etc and then you run your engine, usually for victory points, sometimes the engine you are building gives you powers. I also love production chains. And I like logistical aspects too. But it doesn't need to have all three, if it does awesome!

Here are some of my favorite games with this mechanic:
Ora et Labora
Race for the Galaxy
Glory to Rome
Neuland
Roads & Boats
Glass Road
Antiquity
Imperial Settlers
Innovation
Oh My Goods!(This one should be so great but with the rules it has, and the playing to 8, it is impossible to really run the big production chains)

Some of the games I like might be considered snowball games, but to me I think of it as an engine too. Here's a couple from that list:
Saint Petersburg
Outpost
Phoenicia
The Scepter of Zavandor
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

Ok so that should give you a pretty good idea of what I am talking about. Any ideas of a game that I don't have that would scratch that itch?
And I do know you could consider most deck building games an engine but that is not exactly what I am looking for. Feel free to recommend them tho if you think there is something unique about the game that you think would appeal to what I am looking for.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would look at Craftsmen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AD .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Manhattan project is an engine building game but with take that element
I believe Terraforming mars is an engine building game, but never played it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it yet, but I hear that Terraforming Mars is the best engine-building game there is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I have played The Manhattan Project and liked it but not exactly what I'm looking for. I will check out Craftsmen and Terraforming Mars.

I just saw a previous thread someone saying Terraforming Mars was there favorite engine builder. I'll have to see if I can get a hold of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb

Steampunk Rally and Steam Works have the production chain aspect.

I have played Terraforming Mars, and it's definitely an engine builder, though not necessarily the top one.

The newest engine builder game that might rival Roads and Boats for scope, production chain and logistics is The Colonists. I just read about it a week ago and now it's at the top of my want list.

RE Oh My Goods, it is truly a luckfest, but that seems to be the spirit of the game, along with a good dose of press your luck. However, try playing with the V2.0 rules (see the forums), which greatly improve the rewards for getting a good production chain set up by last round, and somewhat help you get the cards you need. I've also been playing with a couple of minor rule changes that further increase your chances of getting good card combos (see variants forum). Those changes make the game quite playable for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty all the games you list that I have tried. You might also look at

London
Glen More

Both are lighter but have some of the engine building feel

Heavier is High Frontier, does snowball quickly at game end

I have purchased but not yet tried the following that all have engine building

Uruk II: Die Entwicklung Geht Weiter
Uruk: Wiege der Zivilisation
Pax Porfiriana
Neanderthal
Craftsmen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Lengyel
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
I love a few of these games you have listed. You might want to check these out as well:
Fleet
Scythe

In some ways Terra Mystica is also fits the criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Splendor, which is just an easier version ofSaint Petersburg without the math.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Minden
flag msg tools
One part of ZhanGuo is engine building.

It is up to the players to decide how much engine building they do and how often they go for immediate rewards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:

Steampunk Rally and Steam Works have the production chain aspect.

I have played Terraforming Mars, and it's definitely an engine builder, though not necessarily the top one.

The newest engine builder game that might rival Roads and Boats for scope, production chain and logistics is The Colonists. I just read about it a week ago and now it's at the top of my want list.

RE Oh My Goods, it is truly a luckfest, but that seems to be the spirit of the game, along with a good dose of press your luck. However, try playing with the V2.0 rules (see the forums), which greatly improve the rewards for getting a good production chain set up by last round, and somewhat help you get the cards you need. I've also been playing with a couple of minor rule changes that further increase your chances of getting good card combos (see variants forum). Those changes make the game quite playable for us.

Thanks for the heads up on The Colonists! Looks really interesting and right up my alley. I will keep an eye on it. Not sure when it will see a release here in the states. Wish I was going to Essen... LOL

I have read the new rules and am looking forward to trying them with Oh My Goods!. Send me an email with what variants you are using. The game definitely has the potential to be a really cool production chain filler game if you can actual build the big chains and have it win compared to rushing to rushing small ones to 8 buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hippiephysicschick wrote:
I like pretty all the games you list that I have tried. You might also look at

London
Glen More

Both are lighter but have some of the engine building feel

Heavier is High Frontier, does snowball quickly at game end

I have purchased but not yet tried the following that all have engine building

Uruk II: Die Entwicklung Geht Weiter
Uruk: Wiege der Zivilisation
Pax Porfiriana
Neanderthal
Craftsmen

Have played London and like it, but only once. Need more plays...
I want to get Glen More, looks great! Hopefully I can get it in a trade or the German version.

High Frontier does look deep but not sure if my game group would play it.

I own Uruk: Wiege der Zivilisation and haven't been able to get it to the table so I haven't picked up Uruk II: Die Entwicklung Geht Weiter. Hopefully I can get a play in soon. Let me know what you think of them when you get a chance to play them and if you think it is worth getting the second one.

Pax Porfiriana never heard of and looks like a really different theme and very interesting game play. Might need to check that one out.

Neanderthal looks good. I have a friend who just ordered Greenland so I'll try that one and see what I think.

Everyone is recommending Craftsmen so I guess I'll have to check it out and try it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HellslayeR wrote:
I love a few of these games you have listed. You might want to check these out as well:
Fleet
Scythe

In some ways Terra Mystica is also fits the criteria.

I want to get Fleet.

Have played Terra Mystica many times and love it. A couple people in my gaming group have it so have not bought myself. But is a game I would have in my collection.

Scythe looks great. Soo many games, never enough time, money or storage space...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Splendor, which is just an easier version ofSaint Petersburg without the math.

I own both of these games and love them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexandertlq wrote:
One part of ZhanGuo is engine building.

It is up to the players to decide how much engine building they do and how often they go for immediate rewards.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I thought of a few more

Guns & Steel and Guns & Steel: Renaissance i am not sure how much replayability they have so I would not play alot for copies

Endeavor - don't really like this one but a number of my friends do. I think the graphic design makes it hard to quickly assess the game state

Fields of Arle - much more open, sandboxy than Ora et Labora and Glass Road. Different enough to have all three in my collection.

A Feast for Odin - I don't think this one is out yet. Sort of a cross between Ora et Labora and Patchwork as far as I understand

Small City - feels a bit like Antiquity to me although the rules/ game system aren't quite as elegant. Not quite as punishing as Antiquity. People I've introduced it to seem to either love it or hate it so read reviews carefully to see if you would like it. I wrote a rules clarification sheet that helps alot.

The Voyages of Marco Polo - i think this is a little farther from the games you mentioned but it does have a bit of an engine building feel to me in picking what role and trading posts you aim for in the game. nice quick game.

Glen More has a reworked version coming out. I love it as it is but you could follow the discussions to see what might work better for you. The game have very little text you need to reference during game play so a german lanuage version of the original should work fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
FuzzySilk wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on The Colonists! Looks really interesting and right up my alley. I will keep an eye on it. Not sure when it will see a release here in the states. Wish I was going to Essen... LOL

I think it will be released here as early as next month.

FuzzySilk wrote:

I have read the new rules and am looking forward to trying them with Oh My Goods!. Send me an email with what variants you are using. The game definitely has the potential to be a really cool production chain filler game if you can actual build the big chains and have it win compared to rushing to rushing small ones to 8 buildings.

See my posts here
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1629701/omg-its-rftg-varian...

And here
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1632785/phase-1-discard-var...

And I describe my solitaire version here
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/213557/item/4848637#item4...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Does a 19 work for ya?
badge
Not Pictured: minikeg of black powder strapped to its back
mbmbmbmbmb
Orléans might be worth a look. It's got that feel where you build up to executing on your strategy, with multiple paths to victory and unique powers. The thing that sets it apart is the pool-building aspect, which introduces luck management and future consequences of current actions as you balance the things you want to do with the composition of your worker pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
huckins_1971 wrote:

Craftsmen was the first thing I thought of as well. For us, it just felt very much too long for the sort of gameplay it provides, though.

Other ideas:

Florenza
Constantinopolis
Patchistory
Cuba - I'm not a fan of expansions, but Cuba: El Presidente is a good addition
Wealth of Nations
San Juan might even work for engine building

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hippiephysicschick wrote:
I thought of a few more

Guns & Steel and Guns & Steel: Renaissance i am not sure how much replayability they have so I would not play alot for copies

Endeavor - don't really like this one but a number of my friends do. I think the graphic design makes it hard to quickly assess the game state

Fields of Arle - much more open, sandboxy than Ora et Labora and Glass Road. Different enough to have all three in my collection.

A Feast for Odin - I don't think this one is out yet. Sort of a cross between Ora et Labora and Patchwork as far as I understand

Small City - feels a bit like Antiquity to me although the rules/ game system aren't quite as elegant. Not quite as punishing as Antiquity. People I've introduced it to seem to either love it or hate it so read reviews carefully to see if you would like it. I wrote a rules clarification sheet that helps alot.

The Voyages of Marco Polo - i think this is a little farther from the games you mentioned but it does have a bit of an engine building feel to me in picking what role and trading posts you aim for in the game. nice quick game.

Glen More has a reworked version coming out. I love it as it is but you could follow the discussions to see what might work better for you. The game have very little text you need to reference during game play so a german lanuage version of the original should work fine.

Wow! You do have a bunch more for me. Thanks!-)

I have played Endeavor once a long time ago so I don't remember it much. I think I liked it but it did not make me want to go out and get my own copy. If I remember correctly it gave me a refined Puerto Rico feel, but I could be remebering wrong.

I own and love Fields of Arle! Haven't played it enough. Uwe Rosenberg is one of my favorite game designers. So you have me really excited about A Feast for Odin! It's a garunteed buy! Specially when you describe it as more sandboxy than Ora et Labora, this is my current favorite. Did not know about A Feast for Odin. Been out of gaming for a year or so and am catching up on all the new stuff.

Antiquity is one of my all time favorite games, I would rate it a 10 except for the fiddlieness of the components! So I am very intrigued about Small City. Not sure what I think yet just glancing at some of the reviews. What part of the game reminds you of Antiquity?

I will check out Guns & Steel, Guns & Steel: Renaissance, The Voyages of Marco Polo. Never heard of them so they are new to me.

Did not know there was a reworked version of Glen More coming out, same name or totally reworked and rethemed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
FuzzySilk wrote:

I think it will be released here as early as next month.

FuzzySilk wrote:

See my posts here
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1629701/omg-its-rftg-varian...

And here
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1632785/phase-1-discard-var...

And I describe my solitaire version here
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/213557/item/4848637#item4...

Thanks for the info. I look forward to reading the threads and trying them out!

Hopefully you're right about The Colonists and we can be playing it soon!-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
Orléans might be worth a look. It's got that feel where you build up to executing on your strategy, with multiple paths to victory and unique powers. The thing that sets it apart is the pool-building aspect, which introduces luck management and future consequences of current actions as you balance the things you want to do with the composition of your worker pool.

I own Orléans. Won it at a gaming convention, in a raffle. Mit's a great game. Want to pick up the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
huckins_1971 wrote:

Craftsmen was the first thing I thought of as well. For us, it just felt very much too long for the sort of gameplay it provides, though.

Other ideas:

Florenza
Constantinopolis
Patchistory
Cuba - I'm not a fan of expansions, but Cuba: El Presidente is a good addition
Wealth of Nations
San Juan might even work for engine building

I own San Juan and do enjoy it. I play Race for the Galaxy more now a days but it is still a great game.

Use to ownWealth of Nations but traded it away after I got the original Planet Steam. Love the original M.U.L.E. computer game!

I played Cuba a very long time ago and did really enjoy it and thought about picking it up but never did.

The other 3 on your list, Florenza,Constantinopolis, and Patchistory, I am not familiar with and will have to look into them.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agricola is very satisfying to me in that regard. You just build and build upon that "engine" until you are finally able to cash some massive points at the end cause you finally have enough time to feed your people and take those fancy point scoring actions that have until only slowly been increasing. Though beware it's rough most of the way, so if you like your engine to feed you an abundance of stuff all the way through I would steer clear of this.

The Voyages of Marco Polo. It's a bit of a different beast. It feels like the game just starts out giving you quite amazing stuff and then it just keeps throwing more and more goodies in your face as the game goes on. You don't "build" your engine per say - it's more that you earn these things by travelling.

Myrmes: Pretty classic engine game. Get more workers, get better actions and tiles and get higher rewards. A bit less between game variety though so condersider that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another mention for Steampunk Rally

It turns the card-drawing mechanic of 7 Wonders, the dice-assignment mechanic of Alien Frontiers, engine-building and a steampunk theme into a race game. Something for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.