Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chrees M
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought BMC the other day, and after one game both me and my friend fell in love with it. Pulling in some amazingly epic turns, moving dragons to a square and picking up rewards plus neighbourhood points too, but yes. We saw the "Blue Moon" card game advertised on the back of the rules, and from what i understand, the card-game is about fighting (which has caused the devastation of the city), and then BMC is about building it all back up.

So, as a fan of BMC is it worth getting the card game? I'm more of a "disillusioned" CCG player, got into various card games in my time (Magic, Vampire, Pokemon, Harry Potter, Rage etc) where he's more of a "i refuse to play those things due to their continuous cost", but didn't seem to mind the card aspect of BMC.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon is a non-collectible card game with the same synergies of a collectible card game. Jambo is another one.

Blue Moon is expandable, however. So while you have a fully playable, balanced deck out of the box, you can buy another deck that has a different feel (and a different flavor/theme!) if you found you're wanting more. Not only that, but if you so desire you can even build your own decks (though I've not personally, so I can't speak to balance) out of the cards of your existing decks.

Blue Moon is a game for people just like you. You're like "Yipes! I'm getting sucked into buying boosters and am stuck with a bunch of dupes!", and so you refuse to wallow in that sink-hole. This is an important issue that Blue Moon addresses.

Pick up the base set (if you want the dragons and themed board), or just get some of the expansions. I'd go with the base set, since it's not much more expensive than 2 expansions (and you get 2 of the "factions" with it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't get entirely unbiased answers here from me. You've had a good reply from someone else on why Blue Moon both is and is not like a CCG - hopefully in good ways in each case - so I won't cover that again. My one comment right now is to say that I can understand people liking either of the two games, but not finding the other to their tastes. Of course I can also understand liking both - I do myself. I would say that BMC fits a more conventional spot in the games spectrum, but Blue Moon has considerably less competition, so I would regard Blue Moon as a greater achievement, and the game that would be a greater loss if it went out of print. But BMC gets a higher ranking on the BGG, so that opinion obviously isn't universal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumont Claude
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue moon is not a CCG as per other card game. But if you only buy the basic set of card contained in the starters box set, you will end up getting bored kwickly. I know that I have bought six other set of cards to play the game. This way, we play tournaments with all the caracters and the game is quite injoyable this way. But buying all those sets made the game quite expensive. At that price, a could have purchased more enjoyable games I guess. I've purchased the card sets on a period of time and it's once you stop and analyse things that realize that you have spent a lot on this game. I'm happy to have the game and play it regularely, but I know for sure that if I would have stick with the basic set, it would not have come out of the closet often. My recommandation is, if you want to buy the game, calculate to purchase a minimum of 4 other set of cards to make the game worth wile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy blue moon more then blue moon city as blue moon has much more replayablility to it because it is a card battle game that lets you tweak decks.

I would suggest you get the Blue Moon starter and see how you and your friend like it.

If you find you really do like it get the other sets. They can be found online for a very good price. You can get every card in the set for less then a 100 bucks and there is no CCG out there that can say that.

Blue Moon is not a money hole. It is a fun hole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will echo all of the comments above--BMC is not at all similar qua game to Blue Moon.
I will also say that Blue Moon is pure, undiluted awesomeness. Blue Moon has been shown to both save marriages and cure cancer. And unlike Mr. Dearlove, I will assert that I am fully unbiased when I say that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all BMC is only similar to BM via theme and artwork. So, be aware of the complete differences between the two.

With this in mind...

I have to admit. I didn't like Blue Moon all that much when I first played it. Card effects were very short and it seemed like I was stuck in bad game situations.

BUT, I gave it another try weeks later...

What I found was a very strategic card game where each deck has it's strengths and weaknesses.

I presently own all decks except the newest and very much enjoy the game. Strategies differ between the decks. Some play fast where others desire longer game length to win. You can play your strong cards FAST and Furious for an early lead or be conservative (assuming your hand is worth much.)

The more you become familiar with your resources (DECK). The more enjoyable your games will be!! You'll know your deck and your opponents deck and learn to expect game plays. A LOT LIKE POKER,

BUY IT ALL (on Thoughthammer)....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chrees M
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about not getting back to people, i've been distracted alot with uni work.

We now have Blue Moon. We gave it three plays (after a eight-game session of Fluxx!) and although it was fun, and he liked it alot (he played Vulca), i'm not overly sure. It seems the game is over fast, there doesn't seem to be as much strategy as say, magic, and the whole "attack attack attack" makes it seem like the game is all about aggression. Also, i felt in alot of the battles that i had no real control barring the retrieve cards.

We also hit a problem. I will apologise if it is in the rule book (I'm dyslexic and lots of small text is hard for me to read), but i couldn't seem to find anything about what happens if you have no character card in certain situations.

I.e. It's your turn to "play a character, support/booster, and call the power", but you have no character. We assumed you have to retreat from combat (as there's no-one to fight for you), but i'd like some real ruling on this, as well as... what happens if it's your turn to start a fight, but you have no character. Again, we decided that in this case, you have to decline to fight and follow the rules for that.

Other than that what can i say? The artwork is beautiful, the box is pretty, the rules seem concise enough (I LOVE the "you may" "I may" thing), and the cards are so big and printed on good stock. Just a damn shame i can't get protectors that size ;P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Glad to hear you gave it a try!

Muzzaro wrote:

It seems the game is over fast,

Play "campaigns" to five crystals if you aren't doing so already...

Quote:
the whole "attack attack attack" makes it seem like the game is all about aggression.

Well, it is...but attack is only one option (and branches into different "how to attack" questions)...the other is to retreat. The game is about aggression, but well applied aggression is rewarded more than blind aggression.

Quote:

Also, i felt in alot of the battles that i had no real control barring the retrieve cards.

Again, after a while the importance of recognizing when one should retreat becomes a focal point of the game. Once you get there you have a LOT of control...you determine whether it is a good idea for you to keep investing in the current fight or would you be better off fighting on new terms?

Quote:

I.e. It's your turn to "play a character, support/booster, and call the power", but you have no character. We assumed you have to retreat from combat

You assume correctly. I don't recall if it is spelled out explicitly in the rules, but it is a natureal consequence of not having a character. If you do not retreat during the retreat phase you MUST play a character...so no character means you cannot choose to not retreat (with the exception of a Leadership card from one of the E&I expansions).

Quote:
what happens if it's your turn to start a fight, but you have no character. Again, we decided that in this case, you have to decline to fight and follow the rules for that.

You assumed correctly again.

Welcome to the Blue Moon addiction

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chrees M
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Ah that would work. I was thinking as well, that on a non-clear-cut victory (say we run out of cards, but one player has two dragons, the other has one) then we score those as crystals, but neither of us gets the 'winner' crystal.

Quote:
Well, it is...but attack is only one option (and branches into different "how to attack" questions)...the other is to retreat. The game is about aggression, but well applied aggression is rewarded more than blind aggression.

That's true. In the end this is just my view after three games. I can see that the vulca vs hoax match up for a few other people has been "vulca steam-roll the wins at first, then hoax start to grab them back as people realise the hoax's powers", so i'm not too dissapointed.

Quote:
Again, after a while the importance of recognizing when one should retreat becomes a focal point of the game. Once you get there you have a LOT of control...you determine whether it is a good idea for you to keep investing in the current fight or would you be better off fighting on new terms?

We came across that a couple of times in the game, one was to make sure my retriever cards were dutifully 'buried' in the discard pile, while for me, i watched him out down card after card, including the last booster that doubled his power, then retreated with the character that has the power to not give a dragon upon retreating. After losing so many decent cards in one battle, i could pick up a victory or two afterwards (i thought, i didn't reckon on his mutant).

Quote:
You assume correctly. I don't recall if it is spelled out explicitly in the rules, but it is a natureal consequence of not having a character. If you do not retreat during the retreat phase you MUST play a character...so no character means you cannot choose to not retreat (with the exception of a Leadership card from one of the E&I expansions).

Ah good. It does make sense, i like it when games follow sense

Quote:
Welcome to the Blue Moon addiction

Thanks! We've got two decks planned out to buy, not to mention "carry over" rules between Blue Moon, then Blue Moon City (we play x games, winner takes 1+dragons in crystals, loser takes 0+dragons in crystals, then we start Blue Moon City with that many crystals in hand, to compensate, the first person to make 7 contributions (instead of 6) wins). Not sure if they will work, but it's worth a try... i love the idea that our battles in blue moon are devestating the city, and then afterwards we rebuild it.

Now i've got to get the others into Blue Moon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Muzzaro wrote:
Octavian wrote:

Ah that would work. I was thinking as well, that on a non-clear-cut victory (say we run out of cards, but one player has two dragons, the other has one) then we score those as crystals, but neither of us gets the 'winner' crystal.

I'd strongly advise against that. Having two-dragons on your side at game's end is a clear-cut victory. In my experience most games end with one dragon on a side or both dragons in the middle. Instant victories become more rare as players improve and scoring the extra crystal for winning is important, especially to decks that tend to win based on out-lasting the opponent.

-MMM

--edit--

Oops...missed an important detail. As Royalflush points on a couple posts down, you appear to be playing the dragons incorrectly. Only one player can ever have dragons on his side. They are like a tug of war. For example, if I have one dragon and the other two are in the middle and you earn two: mine goes to the middle, then you get one from the middle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wang
United States
west covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Instant victories become more rare as players improve and scoring the extra crystal for winning is important, especially to decks that tend to win based on out-lasting the opponent.
-MMM

Unless it is a starting deck vs customized deck competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muzzaro wrote:
what happens if it's your turn to start a fight, but you have no character.

You can decline to start the fight. Then you can discard 1-3 cards and draw 1-3 cards. Your opponent now starts the fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muzzaro wrote:
Octavian wrote:

The situation you mention is actually not possible. Both players cannot each have dragons at the same time. If Player A attracts a dragon and Player B currently has a dragon, then Player B's dragon is moved back to the middle.

Only one player will ever have dragons in front of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chrees M
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. That was something i didn't understand properly, so assumed that you pulled a dragon from someone, once the ones in the middle were owned. Ok, my friend is over in around 9 hours, i'll let him know this and we'll give it another go.

Thank you all for the advice before buying, and the help so far too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
I also started with BMC (which both myself and the wife enjoyed a lot), then moved onto the Blue Moon card game. I am a long term Magic player, so the move was natural to me. All I can say is that Blue Moon is simply awesome. We now play it far more than BMC, in fact to an obsessive level, which is unheard of for my non-gamer wife.

And here is a shameless plug to my in-depth review of the card game...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/162375

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chrees M
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read your review, was interesting to read as i've come from Magic backgrounds too.

I've played the game a few more times, and won as the Hoax too. Hoax it seems, feels a little like 'Blue' in magic, with their various effects, and i have to admit the retrieve cards work a dream. (It says you can withdraw any retrieve cards from the active cards, at the start of your turn... this is true right? I end up pulling back the 3/3 character and the booster, then play them again, or if it looks like i'm losing, just pull them and the support back and retreat)

Also the "taking dragons from the other before from the middle" also makes things more frantic. The last game i played, my opponent ran out of cards in the deck, but had a six strong hand. I had deck cards still, but the current battle was the difference between draw and win for me. The element was fire, i had my retrieval cards but not much else to help, and was expecting a draw, when he said "i can't place a character".

Game over, i win.

Not tht's a "i have to win to enjoy" but seeing some of the strategies playing off as i'd hoped, gives me more hope for the game. I'll be playing it more and more, it's just a shame i can't get sleeves for the cards.

Off topic, but another game i bought and liked, was Starship Catan. The boards are a little warped, but the game is fun, just very involving at the start. It really does feel like the computer game 'Elite', in a card/board sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muzzaro wrote:
Also the "taking dragons from the other before from the middle" also makes things more frantic. The last game i played, my opponent ran out of cards in the deck, but had a six strong hand. I had deck cards still, but the current battle was the difference between draw and win for me. The element was fire, i had my retrieval cards but not much else to help, and was expecting a draw, when he said "i can't place a character".

There are no draws in Blue Moon. If the game ends with all of the dragons in the center, the player who ran out of cards first loses. This rule, along with the rule allowing you to discard 1-3 cards and decline to start the fight, makes timing in the endgame crucial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chrees M
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok, thanks. So i had won even though the dragons were in the middle, because he ran out of cards first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Muzzaro wrote:
Ah ok, thanks. So i had won even though the dragons were in the middle, because he ran out of cards first.

Right...because it took him all his cards to reach that result, meaning you played more efficiently.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.