$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Victory in Europe» Forums » General

Subject: Mixed thoughts on opening strategy, beginner tips, personal opinion. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Since I am on my last game of ViE for quite some time here some final thoughts and opinions about different things.

Please note I have two session reports pending.
One I played as the Allies and the Axis conceed at the end of 2-40. It is a good example for some of the statements I make here.

In the other still ongoing game I play the Axis and almost had to conceed the game in 1-40. It is a good example for some other points I make here.

Do yourself a favor ( as the Axis ) and play with a house rule which allows only 1 factory build/nation/year.
If you dont the chance for even a minor Axis win are quite minimal.

The most important weakness in this game ( to me ) is the air war ( not strategic air warfare ) since the attacker has no chance to gain numerical superiority and the defender always fires first !
This fact is made worse by the Russian 4B2 fighters which seem to be to strong for game balance and to strong if you look what happened during WWII.
So once you understand and accept this facts make the best out of it and enjoy the deep and interesting game that ViE still is even if the choices during the opening moves are a lot more restricted than you would expect.

Diplomatie:
As the western Allies always, really alway go for Norway during 3-39 ( which means get adjacent to Norway with a unit.)
As always there is an exception with the rule. Should you have the initiative during this turn better go for Greece.

As the Axis you probabely should go for Hubgary during 3-39.

Opening:

As the Axis familarize yourself with the Italian standard defense ( found in this forum ) There is only one best defense.

I still believe that that the all out West opening is the best opening available for the Axis. Everything else seems inferior.
Please prove me wrong by posting an AAR in which Germany wins a decicive victory without going all out West in 3-39 and in which the game was not decided by a huge mistake or incredible luck. ( You know what I mean Ron )
Unfortunately for a sucessfull all out West attack you need one of the following 3 cards in your opening hand. 2xBlitzkrieg ( Panzers is better ) or the 3 CP Graf Spee card.
All of these cards have the same effect. They give you an almost 50% chance for a first combat round kill against the Belgian army. This should dissuade the Allies from intervention.
If you instead draw the 2 other 2 CP cards you have to go for Poland and Holland in 3-39 and for Belgium and Denmark in 4-39.
But you are already in troble as the Axis.
Should you draw the 1 CP card pray and play it in 3-39
Should the Allies have the initiative ( very probale ) and declare war on Italy, threatening invasion in 4-39, you have now 2 choices.
Take Belgium and loose the game in 4-39 if the Allies have initiative again ( which means they have the 3 CP card ) or SR a ground unit to Rome.
In the first case you can start a new game if they have the card in the second case you are in big troble because you lost a turn where it counts.

Should the Allies gain the initiative in 4-39 ( which means they have a 3 CP card and you dont ) they will pin Belgium and you are in trouble again.

As you can see even with best opening play you have a chance to get into troble early with the Axis.
Dont conseed to early because as long as you have a chance for a lucky punch you might get beack into the game.
See the session report of my last ongoing game as an example for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
haeberich wrote:
I still believe that that the all out West opening is the best opening available for the Axis. Everything else seems inferior.
Please prove me wrong by posting an AAR in which Germany wins a decicive victory without going all out West in 3-39 and in which the game was not decided by a huge mistake or incredible luck. (You know what I mean Ron)

I have won several games by waiting until the second card play of 40 to attack France and I was playing against some of the best block game players out there. It is doable because Germany can build up its 4-step armor (3-steps by 40-2 and ready for a 4th step by next turn) and will have its D3 infantry in the fight.

The benefit of waiting is that Germany will have time to make its defenses in the east stronger and hopefully deter a Russian attack.

The bottomline, there is no set "best" strategy. Yes you should have a strategy in mind (go west, go east, or turtle), but you have to adjust to the fall of the cards, diplomacy, and the results of battles.

Unlike some games that script much of the early war behavior so the historical timeline will be close, VE gives both players room to fight the war their way. This means a competent Allied player will typically make the battle of France more costly for Germany than history, unless the German player gets lucky with his dice. Does this mean Germany has lost? Absolutely not. If Britain committed heavily to defending France, then as the German player I would consider making Britain my main focus regardless of any pre-game strategy I may have had.

Even with bad luck in the first part of the game, Germany can come back by husbanding its forces and building up before going on the offensive. I have seen some games where the German attack on the Soviet Union didn't occur until 1942 because the France campaign was too costly.

Yes there is lots of chance in the game, but I feel it tends to average out and the better play will tend to win out in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.