Subject: Finished Campaign, Newer Campaigns Different Style? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my friends just finished the base game campaign. I own all boxed set and then some. One of the complaint my friend had about the game was that it felt very samey between each mission.

Most missions were run to the terminal and that's it. Sometimes we had defeat X unit as well but nothing too different. I'm wondering, are the scenarios in the newer campaigns of higher quality and/or are they more varied?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are many more interesting missions in the other campaigns, but kill X or get something and get out are classic star wars objectives that will appear in every campaign.

But even the core box has several different missions to offer:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Under Siege
Imperial Hostpitality
Fly Solo
The Source

just to mention a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, Return to Hoth and Bespin Gambit have more unique missions. There's still some go find X terminal, but they have interesting mechanics that vary things up.

Things like a hidden map that the heroes have to reveal, more defensive missions where the Imperial player has to kill X or get to terminal Y. Overall, the two newer campaigns have much better mission design and provide for a better game I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's much more variation in the mission objectives and mission rules/mechanisms in the expansions (not so much in Twin Shadows). The Greedo (Top Target) and The Grand Inquisitor (Cornered) campaign missions are also different and fun. At least they were for me, although I keep losing Cornered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.