Subject: Sandra and Demolition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Reubzaet
Netherlands
Landgraaf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering about Sandra's ability to unlock one die from a single-use slot.

It is clear to me that it cannot be used for Capture or Elimination missions, since these check for dice being present on each of the dice slots on the tile at the end of the Action Phase or Turn respectively (if I am not mistaken).

However, since the Demolition tile is only taken from the player's inventory once all the dice are on it, I wonder if this has the same limitations. The rule book merely states: that a Demolition tile is considered completed if it "has been filled and placed". Does this mean it still has to be filled at the time the action phase ends?

Also, in case Sandra can unlock a die from the tile but it does have to be filled at the end of the Action Phase, does this mean:
A) the player controlling Sandra has to take the Demolition tile after unlocking one of its dice?
B) the player who owns the tile has to take it back?
C) the tile remains on the board and can be re-filled by any player during the current Action Phase and has to be taken back by its owner only if it is not completely filled at the end of the Action Phase?

(Please note that I am aware that the die from the Casualty slot cannot be unlocked in any case, as it is not a single-use slot.)

Many thanks in advance for answering my question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
The Pursuit of Happiness expansion > February 2017 on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Co1980 wrote:
I was wondering about Sandra's ability to unlock one die from a single-use slot.

It is clear to me that it cannot be used for Capture or Elimination missions, since these check for dice being present on each of the dice slots on the tile at the end of the Action Phase or Turn respectively (if I am not mistaken).

However, since the Demolition tile is only taken from the player's inventory once all the dice are on it, I wonder if this has the same limitations. The rule book merely states: that a Demolition tile is considered completed if it "has been filled and placed". Does this mean it still has to be filled at the time the action phase ends?

Also, in case Sandra can unlock a die from the tile but it does have to be filled at the end of the Action Phase, does this mean:
A) the player controlling Sandra has to take the Demolition tile after unlocking one of its dice?
B) the player who owns the tile has to take it back?
C) the tile remains on the board and can be re-filled by any player during the current Action Phase and has to be taken back by its owner only if it is not completely filled at the end of the Action Phase?

(Please note that I am aware that the die from the Casualty slot cannot be unlocked in any case, as it is not a single-use slot.)

Many thanks in advance for answering my question

Short answer: Sandra cannot take advantage of her Ability on Demolition tiles because that would render them incomplete.

Long answer: Each Demolition tile can only be filled by the player who has it on his/her possession (although it can exchange hands as if it was a Weapon/Item). Once it is filled with dice, it is then placed on the Game Board an any of the Objective Slots (indicated by the Setup card). Only one Demolition tile can be placed on each such Slot.

Technically, Sandra is allowed to take a die back from the Demolition tile AFTER it has been placed on the Game Board and use it for other purposes. However, that would mean that the tile must be immediately returned to the player who owns it(had the tile in his/her possession before it was placed on the Game Board) since it is now considered incomplete. If later during the Action Phase, the player places all the required symbols on the tile again, it can once more be placed on the designated position on the Game Board. In other words, if needed you can take a die back, but you will also have to take the tile back.

The objective is considered complete at the end of the Action Phase and so all dice have to be present at that point.

To sum up, Objective-wise, Sandra may only take actual advantage of her ability on the Recovery and Recon Objectives.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Reubzaet
Netherlands
Landgraaf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, your answer was very fast and helpful!

Just to make sure I fully grasp this:
- I understand the tile is returned to its owner (Sandra or a player adjacent to her when she uses her ability)?
- Do the other dice remain on the tile when it is returned to player's inventory, or are they considered 'spent' and do they come off as well?

I am asking because I can imagine several instances where it might be beneficial for a team to undo the placement of a Demolition tile in order to free up dice or to allow a different player to place a more efficient tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
The Pursuit of Happiness expansion > February 2017 on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Co1980 wrote:
As always, your answer was very fast and helpful!

Just to make sure I fully grasp this:
- I understand the tile is returned to its owner (Sandra or a player adjacent to her when she uses her ability)?
- Do the other dice remain on the tile when it is returned to player's inventory, or are they considered 'spent' and do they come off as well?

I am asking because I can imagine several instances where it might be beneficial for a team to undo the placement of a Demolition tile in order to free up dice or to allow a different player to place a more efficient tile.

I edited the previous post to make it clear that the tile is returned to its owner, as you mentioned in your post.

All other dice on the Demolition tile must remain on the tile after it gets returned to its owner because of Sandra's ability. Only the one that got unlocked by Sandra is available.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Reubzaet
Netherlands
Landgraaf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I really like is how your answers always make perfect sense when looking at the rules as printed, so I can imagine how you guys did not think it would be necessary to elaborate on them. I guess we all just overthink everything

Once again, thank you so much for your great and swift support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.