Subject: Is this really a war game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anton Broekzitter
Netherlands
Alblasserdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
I've just watched the playsession. I noticed there wasn't a lot of moving of the pieces and/or fights. On top of that I feel it might be a little too chaotic with everyone being able to go anywhere. I understand you are gods, but it hardly matters how the map looks like. And you can't really fortify you're outer defences to have one region being safe from harm.
There are also a lot of negotiations going on, which makes it a lot more diplomatic than war gamey (risk style).

Do I need to reset my initial thoughts that this is not a traditional war game with epic gods, but more of an area control / with negotiations and an occasional battle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Its not that you can go anywhere but on the gameplay video, a lot of the action happened around the Skydome, wich is adjacent to a lot of area of the board. It felt chaotic because the player where having fun and playing fast, but there was a lot going on if you know what you are looking at.

You can actually "fortify" but the factions shown in this particular game where some of the more aggressives. Sky and Earth are very defensive Empires by constrast. Nobody want to attack a Sky stronghold unless they have to and Earth has very annoying defensive tricks. Sea while not being defensive exactly has a lot of abilities that hinder the opponements in various ways.

Negociation is indeed an important part of the game. A lot of Empires abilities will interact with other players in non-aggressive ways. Some Empires are very player interaction oriented while others less so.

I don't think this a traditional war game, but I don't think its just an area control game either... Areas themselves don't really matter all that much. Its more about the buildings you put on them and the VP they get you. If I had to put labels on Gods War then I would say its an assymetric social war game in a mythic setting, where the goal is to score the most VP through various means, one of wich is area control... Does that work for you ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I have liked about Cthulhu Wars (and The Gods War too) is its dice are heavier in retreating and less in killing. The plastic wargame legacy as it has grown out of games like Axis & Allies has been much bloodier with 40-60% casualties in every battle and rampant rebuilds. To me it feels artificial and not representative of what any economy could realistically sustain. Combat in The Gods War is about pushing units off terrain that you wish to possess. It's much more about position (from owning the sky dome or retreating units to hell), which to me feels better. As to is there enough of it vs how much diplomacy occurs I would say that really depends on your group think and as was already mentioned are there factions that play into more combat in how their abilities interact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Broekzitter
Netherlands
Alblasserdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Thx Guillaume,
that really makes it easier for me to put it into perspective.

Also, because of the miniatures, you expect epic battles and only battles. So it's about managing expectations as well I guess.

My group is a bit more 'euro'gamey. So I'm a bit anxious to how this will fall into my group. With a bit more war and a bit less negotiating and a little less chaotic I think they will like it. Just have to look after the factions I play with the first time, to actually draw them into the game.

You state Sky / Earth and what else would you recommend?

As for the map lay-out, although "Lore-correct", how much influence has it really on the gameplay, whether a location is next to the one or the other? Especially without monsters/ elder races?

As for less killing more retreating: I think that makes it a bit more: "you will never be out of the game". Which I think I like. But these gods / monsters are so brute, they should kill something every now and then:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
The war game question again. Not everyone agrees on the definition. There's this idealized, pushing chits on a map memory of war games from the 70's that persists, and then the true Scotsman debate starts.

So, I'm going to first take a definition from a semi-curated source,Wikipedia.

Wikipedia wrote:
A wargame (also war game) is a strategy game that deals with military operations of various types, real or fictional.

Unit or map scale
Grand strategy – military strategy at the level of movement and use of an entire state or empire's resources, with the focus being on a war (or series of wars) usually over a long period of time. Individual units, even armies, may not be represented; instead, attention is given to theaters of operation.

So it deals with fictional military operations for a grand strategy. I'd say it meets that definition. Your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cpttoenail wrote:

As for less killing more retreating: I think that makes it a bit more: "you will never be out of the game". Which I think I like. But these gods / monsters are so brute, they should kill something every now and then:-)

If the game is anything like Cthulhu Wars then there will be a lot of death as well.

Something I always liked about CW was that in an evenly played game the final round would include so much battle and destruction that everyone would be frantically trying to scrape up whatever scattered forces they could to just bump out a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Broekzitter
Netherlands
Alblasserdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
CyberGarp wrote:
The war game question again. Not everyone agrees on the definition. There's this idealized, pushing chits on a map memory of war games from the 70's that persists, and then the true Scotsman debate starts.

So, I'm going to first take a definition from a semi-curated source,Wikipedia.

Wikipedia wrote:
A wargame (also war game) is a strategy game that deals with military operations of various types, real or fictional.

Unit or map scale
Grand strategy – military strategy at the level of movement and use of an entire state or empire's resources, with the focus being on a war (or series of wars) usually over a long period of time. Individual units, even armies, may not be represented; instead, attention is given to theaters of operation.

So it deals with fictional military operations for a grand strategy. I'd say it meets that definition. Your mileage may vary.

In this definition I would say it is a wargame. But I also wanted to make people aware what kind of game it really is. When I first pledged I thought of it to be more "warry" (positioning your troops, move from one land to an adjacent land) and less negotiating, jumping all over the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Broekzitter
Netherlands
Alblasserdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
davidryanandersson wrote:

If the game is anything like Cthulhu Wars then there will be a lot of death as well.

Something I always liked about CW was that in an evenly played game the final round would include so much battle and destruction that everyone would be frantically trying to scrape up whatever scattered forces they could to just bump out a win.

I hope it will end this way in a lot of games:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
It's more like Diplomacy than Risk. Both still war-themed games, but one's more focused around negotiation. In contrast Cthulhu Wars is more like Risk (more proof that despite the similar game systems, Gods War is massively different).

You can build buildings anywhere (it just abstracts out the "Cultists" from Cthulhu Wars - instead of having to move a Cultist to an area, you just have minions everywhere that'll build your Shrines for you), but most of the jumping around the board was via effects (like Storm's "Teleport"). It reminds me a lot of Tigris & Euphrates in this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite its title, I would define it as a Strategy Game as opposed to a War Game.

It absolutely has area control - but that can be a feature of both types of games. It also has battles, which can be for both. However, in this game, the END GOAL is to get the most VP, and the way you actually go about doing that doesn't require you to win in the same way you must like A&A or Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.