Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Brown
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought this game to a game day yesterday and had pretty high hopes, given that we were a mix of fans of the license (books and games) and in general a pretty thematic-positive group. The same group played Arcadia Quest before this one and so it seemed the right mindset of the group. I've played similar games (Talisman (Revised 4th Edition), Runebound (Second Edition), Firefly: The Game) so I thought this would be a good one for me personally.

The game fell flat. Absolutely tanked. Two-thirds of the way through we were critiquing the game's mechanics (which felt clunky and more focused on moving tokens around than actually doing anything) and were generally bored, so we called it and declared the person with two completed quests the winner.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Really disappointed and a little baffled by what happened here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha. Looks like this thread fell flat too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game seems to really drag. About the time everyone is finishing a second quest, we are usually ready to be done with it. The last time we played, I actually house ruled that we were only going to 2 quests instead of 3. Was not too bad of a game. I had higher hopes for this game because I am a fan of the books but unfortunately it will not be getting much playtime here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_fantastic wrote:
I brought this game to a game day yesterday and had pretty high hopes, given that we were a mix of fans of the license (books and games) and in general a pretty thematic-positive group. The same group played Arcadia Quest before this one and so it seemed the right mindset of the group. I've played similar games (Talisman (Revised 4th Edition), Runebound (Second Edition), Firefly: The Game) so I thought this would be a good one for me personally.

The game fell flat. Absolutely tanked. Two-thirds of the way through we were critiquing the game's mechanics (which felt clunky and more focused on moving tokens around than actually doing anything) and were generally bored, so we called it and declared the person with two completed quests the winner.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Really disappointed and a little baffled by what happened here.

This game isn't for everyone, but I wouldn't say that Talisman, Firefly and Runebound are similar games. Yes they have a fantasy setting but that's about it. Well, Firefly is more Sci-fi than fantasy in my book.

The Witcher is more of a racing game where you need to be the most efficient in collecting leads/proofs while at the same time taking into account where you should get these tokens from.
For some characters,like Dandelion and Triss, you would want to try and get your leads from areas that don't have silver or gold monsters as this would likely give you wounds that would make you spend actions on healing rather than getting closer to your objective.
Geralt on the other hand, who is overall better equipped to handle fighting, might more readily do so. He could even time his move so that he will spawn gold or silver monsters into specific regions to hamper other players. Other tactics, playing as Geralt, would be to deliberately kill off low level bronze monsters so that the other players can't choose them as encounters. For Triss/Dandelion, he/she would probably want to keep these bronze monsters alive and deliberately not kill them if she ends up encountering one as they would be easier to encounter than a gold/silver monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the app is fine enough and if I found a great deal on the game, yeah, i'd pick it up...but for full MSRP i think your right. I nice looking game with some good ideas that just feels to long for what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Different people like different things. Our usual gaming group did not find it exciting because of all the downtime. But I, my wife and kids play it regularly with great pleasure. For whatever reason this game is very appealing to us. (Whereas something like Dead of Winter - which I know on average much more popular than this game - failed to engage completely).

The downtime critique, is completely justified, but some others (such as "the game is too punishing") in our opinion is not. For example my wife suffered playing Agricola, the constant need to make sure that the family is fed pressured her a lot. *That* was what she found punishing.

In this game, on the other hand, a proper management of risks can keep you afloat. If you completely have no idea of what you are doing, you of course can quickly collect a lot of wounds and ill fate tokens, and some heroes are more susceptible to it than others. Yet, in our games this is rarely a problem.

Because some people go for the side quests and some try to get 3 (short) quests as soon as possible, it is quite possible that the one who is about to finish the 3rd quest would not win. But very often it is a close call and we find maneuvering in these last rounds of the game quite exciting, often it's not clear who is the winner until the last minute.

The differences in the heroes and their own mechanics and complimenting cards also feel very nice. You play Geralt differently from playing Dandelion, from playing Yarpen, from playing Triss - this is also something we grew to like.

Just wanted to let you know: while many players feel similar to you, there are some who quite enjoy the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.