$35.00
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game last week, and I couldn't find much strategy discussion. Many of the youtube videos seem to make tactical mistakes, so I thought I'd share what has worked for me in the games that I've won.

Basic level, it's all about sending Mr Johnson to the mine asap, and forage for ammo until you have like 15. If you have Deputy as well, get him to the mine too and help defend it, spending the Initiative action on forage or gunfire.
The rest of the Heroes defend around Town Centre; don't bother saving the civilians by sending a Hero except maybe the Strength 4 ones - they will come to the town if they pass a saving throw.

Level 1 is similar in terms of strategy. You will now have the ability to heal, so if your Deputy gets wounded while defending the mines, you can heal him with Johnson. Infection will spawn more Zeds, and you will get more Fate cards. As long as you retreat to Town Centre and have enough ammo, you can fend off the final attacks. Use gunfire attacks to flip the stronger Zeds to their weak side, then defend with heroes like Sheriff and Deputy or the Heroic Civilians. Try to keep weaker Zeds alive in front to block the stronger Zeds from advancing behind them.

Level 2 gives you Chaos, which means you can no longer abandon all the villages and just defend the centre. Try to focus on 1-2 tracks to defend with barricades, with Deputy/Sheriff or the Strength 4 Civilians. You might not have a scavenger so might be harder to get ammo, so only fire on the strongest Zeds and try to have a solid defence. There are many cards that give you extra Heroes so you are likely to get 2-3 extra Heroes at some point or another.

A strength 4 Civilian with the 2 right shifts (well-armed and leader), sitting on a Strongpoint, can roll on the Hero x3 column against Zeds up to 11 strength, and on the Hero x2 column elsewhere. Deputy Schmidt has one less column shift, but can reroll bad rolls and is Tough. Rangers and Sheriff Hunt are almost as good as defending, and Rusty is also good in a pinch (if he dies defending the Town at late-game, he can probably succeed the saving roll, so you spend 1 Heal action to bring him back at Strength 5/2 and move him back to defend)

I made the mistake to defend with El Toro Loco at some point when I got him, but really he is not that good (no rerolls/shifts, not tough/rugged, poor at shooting and a lot of hit points means he is slower to heal). I think he needs to be used to attack (50/50 chance to push the Zeds back) then move back, to give you breathing space; especially if you have a card that can give you Right Shifts when attacking.
If you lose a Town space/Barricade/Strongpoint, you can use Toro Loco to fend the Zeds back, then if possible move in a more defensive hero to defend the space again.

Now ready for Level 3 - superweapon here I come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vgambit
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great, but I really wish there were more posts on strategy, both in this thread and in others on this forum. In all the times I've played this game, I've only ever won once, and that was when I fudged a die roll or two towards the end out of sheer frustration.

I think when the designers mention how controlled the difficulty is, and how easy the basic level is intended to be, they were thinking in terms of playtesters who were experienced enough at the game to roughly know what specific cards were likely on the way, and what to watch out/prepare for. Losing games until you get to that point isn't particularly fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.