Popular Tags: [View All]
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is a subject that has been drummed to death but I have just got back into CoH, Awakening the Bear, after a five and a half year break and after one game feel I want to play more. I have a few other things happening at the moment but hopefully I will be getting in more play time for CoH.

Before I get to the questions I want to add that I am someone who has to concentrate quite a bit to nail the rules so I am a one game man. I do not like living rules and I don't like massive rule changes from one game in a series to another. I know this might be against the norm for most players but that's the way I roll. I own Version 1 rules and have started reading version 2 online, I might as well learn the new set before filling my head with contradictions from V1. I have to admit that some posts made me a little sceptical regarding the differences between the two versions but after reading through half of V2 I really do not see any problem with the slight changes. I can understand the frustrations with the unit counters and this is what my questions are about. I think there have been some U turns regarding the symbols on the V2 counters so some threads do not apply, some do, it feels like a minefield trying to work out what is and what isn't applicable. I also felt that the threads I read got close to the answer but were not fully clear, so as the dust has settled now, I want to ask the following questions and hopefully this will help others too in a similar situation as myself.

1. To get a printed copy of the V2 rules I will need to buy Price of Honour?

2. Do all other games in the series have V2 rules?

3. What are the differences between the counters in V1 and V2? Is it just attack against armour values and symbols?

4. If, actually that is going to be when, I buy Price of Honour will that replace all the units in my V1 Awakening the Bear?

5. If No.4 above is no, can I buy the new counters anywhere else? This would include buying expansions to make up the "missing" units but not including buying AtB V2.

6. If there are counters "missing" what counters are these?

7. If the answer to 4 and 5 is no is there anywhere I can make myself the new counters? I know some games have fan sites who make new versions of counters but these are usually for older games.

8. What I am asking in the above questions is can I upgrade all my Version 1 counters to version 2 and if so how without buying version 2?

9. What do I need to play all the scenarios in the solo version?

10. How will the lack of symbols effect the solo game

11. Did "First Men in Normandy" ever get published?

Another question I have which is a little off topic but as I am asking questions...

12. I like making my own scenarios and maps, is it possible to make my own CoH maps, the terrain on maps looks free flowing and not done on a hex by hex basis. I am guessing it isn't possible but would love to know of any programmes or if anyone has attempted this before.

I would like to thank you all for your patience and thank you for any replies I get.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen J
Australia
Elizabeth Bay
New South Wales
flag msg tools
RAWRRRRRRRR
badge
RAWRRRRRRRR
mbmbmbmbmb
-The most recent rules are available to download on the Academy Games Website.

-Only Awakening the Bear has had updated rules.

3. What are the differences between the counters in V1 and V2? Is it just attack against armour values and symbols?
-V2 counters have better artwork and clearer numbers. They also include symbols for the Solo expansion.

4. If, actually that is going to be when, I buy Price of Honour will that replace all the units in my V1 Awakening the Bear?
-All units yes. System counters no.

5. If No.4 above is no, can I buy the new counters anywhere else? This would include buying expansions to make up the "missing" units but not including buying AtB V2.
-I believe you will be missing one unit (maybe the commissar?) which you can easily substitute with other units.

-re:above

7. If the answer to 4 and 5 is no is there anywhere I can make myself the new counters? I know some games have fan sites who make new versions of counters but these are usually for older games.
-Not that I know of.

8. What I am asking in the above questions is can I upgrade all my Version 1 counters to version 2 and if so how without buying version 2?
-No.

-Awakening the Bear v2 or you can make due with V1

-Not to serious just roll a die to decide which units get used.

-Not yet

Another question I have which is a little off topic but as I am asking questions...

12. I like making my own scenarios and maps, is it possible to make my own CoH maps, the terrain on maps looks free flowing and not done on a hex by hex basis. I am guessing it isn't possible but would love to know of any programmes or if anyone has attempted this before.
-Yes you can but I don't know the best program to use.

Welcome to the group, I hope this helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
allensaurusrex wrote:

-V2 counters have better artwork and clearer numbers. They also include symbols for the Solo expansion.

-I believe you will be missing one unit (maybe the commissar?) which you can easily substitute with other units.

-Not that I know of.

-No.

-Not yet

Thanks that's excellent info and a quick reply too.

With regard to Q9 above do I need the Wrecks and Destruction and the Monster tanks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. Those are optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jones was correct on anything but I will proceed my comments with a G.
G-www.AcademyGames.com

G-The rules for all the other games are the same as the V2 rules for AtB.

G-The first edition does not have the NKVD units or the Tank Hunter Unit. I suggest just using an equivalent replacement for each. Use a SMG in place of NKVDs and a Pioneer in place of a tank hunter.

-Not that I know of.

-No.

G-If you just use the replacements for the units I mentioned, you can use the 1st edition with the solo.

-Not yet
G-It will be published though. Other designers have just finished their CoH games sooner.

G-Without being an artist, it is hard to make your own maps. The Firefight Generator is also a fun way to create new scenarios.

Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Gunter, it is always very much appreciated when a game that has been out for several years still receives the support of the crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
Not really. Those are optional.

Thanks Lewis, I actually looked these up from the Academy Games website but with the information provided in this post it is much easier to understand what I am looking at.

Thanks again everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its worth pointing out that if you also want the Firefight Generator for AtB2, there will be additional AtB2 armor (and maybe AT gun) units that are not in AtB1. Again you would have to substitute the closest German or Russian unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.