Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The newest installment of Love Letter takes on the Theme of Super Spy, Archer. First off, I enjoy the other versions of Love Letter, with The Batman version being the best so far, due to a few rule tweaks over the original, that just add a little bit more to the game that make it faster, and better.

The Archer version has changed the rules again, and has made the game much more interactive and gives the players more choices to make, other than just making guesses about an opponents hand. You now get the option with several of the cards, to look and even guess the discarded/hidden card from the draw, guessing correctly, ends the round and scores a point. This small rule variant gives the game another small layer, that adds just enough to give the game a bit more flair. A few of the other cards have some minor changes, that mix up the guessing game a bit more. For example the "7" card or Lana, when played forces all players to give their card in hand to the current player, and all cards plus the central hidden card are shuffled and re-dealt to the players, which adds more confusion and fun to the game.

If you like the original and want to add something new to the flow and interaction of the game play, then the Archer version is well worth a look. For me it is the best playing version to date. If I were to rank the versions of Love Letter, I would put Archer 1st, Batman 2nd, Original 3rd, Hobbit 4th and Munchkin 5th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate it as "danger zone"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:

If you like the original and want to add something new to the flow and interaction of the game play, then the Archer version is well worth a look. For me it is the best playing version to date. If I were to rank the versions of Love Letter, I would put Archer 1st, Batman 2nd, Original 3rd, Hobbit 4th and Munchkin 5th.

I would agree, even if you are not an Archer fan (how could you not be?) the mechanics here are definitely more solid and interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn is boufalaxx
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Subscribe to Smashing Plastic on YouTube
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review mate!

I wish they used some more interesting art for the game and the characters... in particular, the cardbacks are completely uninspired (considering the intro for the show is MADE for this kind of art style).

The game however is great fun, and fine for kids to play. (Despite the show being the opposite)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.