Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
How do they work?

Can you mix in the new enemies with the original campaign missions to add some variety?

Or are the new missions completely exclusive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Which expansion? The small one or the big ones? The big ones come with additional campaign books to play another campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
the big ones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
There's two types of boxed expansions: big box and small box.

The big box expansion (Return to Hoth, upcoming Jabba's Realm) has a full length campaign. The story missions can not be integrated (without some retooling), but the side missions can be integrated.

The small box campaigns (Bespin, Twin Shadows) are mini campaigns composed entirely of side missions weaved into a full story. All the missions in those boxes can be integrated into a full campaign.

The rules call for waiting until a new campaign is started to integrate them, however, if both sides agree there's no real reason to not integrate them as soon as you get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

All non-unique imperial and mercenary deployment cards are automatically available for the imperial player to be used in open groups.

Agenda sets, imperial class decks, heroes, and side missions (as long as you observe time periods for the side missions and agenda sets or just ignore time periods) can be used in any full campaign (core, return to hoth, jabba's realm). Items and supply cards are added to their respective supplies.

Generally, mix and match the way you want.

There are a few restrictions due to Habitat though which may prevent figures from Hoth (Wampas) or Twin Shadows (Tusken Raiders and Bantha Rider) to be used in the missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinewood74 wrote:

The small box campaigns (Bespin, Twin Shadows) are mini campaigns composed entirely of side missions weaved into a full story. All the missions in those boxes can be integrated into a full campaign.

I just want to add that this missions form a short campaign of (i think 5 missions) with quick start rules (the players start with some XP and money). Basically that's similar to playing the last five mission of a big campaign in which all characters are already leveled up. It's also nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
I just want to add that this missions form a short campaign of (i think 5 missions) with quick start rules (the players start with some XP and money). Basically that's similar to playing the last five mission of a big campaign in which all characters are already leveled up. It's also nice.

If you want even more details, the minicampaigns are nominally 4 missions long, contain no side missions (and no agenda missions of any kind). The 'leveling up' corresponds to skipping all side missions and the intro mission (Aftermath in the core), but still getting the average rewards for the skipped missions. So the rebels start with 3XP and some credits and IP with 3XP.

There is additional flavor text at the back of the minicampaign rule/campaign book to tie in the missions together, and the adjusted rewards. When not playing a minicampaign, the missions themselves can be included in the full campaigns, because they are a) red hero missions, b) green or grey side missions, or c) agenda side missions.

(The ISB Infiltrator pack has a rule to add it to the Bespin Gambit campaign as the 5th mission.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
You've gotten some pretty good responses already, but just to touch on some other things-

The only other Big Box expansion currently out is Return to Hoth. In that expansion are Story Missions, Bane/Boon Missions, Red Side Missions (and there might be some Green and Grey Side missions as well, I don't remember).

You cannot integrate the story missions of a big campaign into another big campaign. However, you can bring over the Red side missions, as those heroes can be used in any campaign. Also, if there are indeed green/grey side missions, bring those along in any campaign as well.

Technically the Bane/Boon missions should only be used with Return to Hoth- but I guess it's possible to have them in any campaign. Haven't gotten to the RtH campaign playthrough yet, so I can't say whether or not that would make for a funky story, but I could see it as maybe being a possibility. Basically all they are is that they're additional active side missions that give the Empire slight advantages when they're active, but give the Rebels slight advantages once resolved- like, for instance, one might be about a blockade that is preventing Rebel settlements from getting food, so Rebel allies might enter each mission stunned (just a hypothetical example, I doubt that's actually one in the game).

Everything else- items, heroes, imperial troops- they all carry over into any campaign.

Also, small box stuff carries over too- those story missions, as you may know, just become side missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I would not recommend trying to implement the Bane/Boon mechanic into other campaigns. There are further impacts/implications of them that would be spoilers to get more into, but suffice it to say that just using the Bane/Boon mechanic with threat missions doesn't really balance the campaign well.

If one really felt the need to implement Threat missions into other campaigns, I would recommend doing them as just generic side missions and giving them various different rewards. Some of them involve allies, so you could have those allies as a reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.